Microphone Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphone Problem

Here's some background details first before I get to the problem at hand. I have a Logitech Extreme Gaming Headset which I've had for several years now and have used it extensively for CS: Source VOIP and Teamspeak without any problems. My sound card is a Creative Labs X-Fi Extreme Gamer version, OS is Win XP with SP3. Two days ago I did a much needed driver update for my sound card and now my microphone is starting to act up.

The Extreme Gaming mic has an on/off switch which I've always left on since I would be using it quite often. In the past when I've picked up the headset to place around my neck, I'd never hear any noise on my pair of twin speakers or when I've tried to adjust the mic to be closer to my mouth. After that driver update, I noticed that most of my volume settings had been changed and my mic muted. Once the mic and volume settings were sorted and working again, I find that it picks up noise and broadcasts it on my speakers.

For instance, if I pick up the mic and place it around my neck, you hear the fumbling sounds of it being moved into postion on the speakers. Or if I breathe on the mic you can hear that too over the speakers. When I tried the Steam mic test my voice came out fine, but I also heard an echo after my voice broadcast back on the test. If I mute the mic in Volume Properties or turn it off via the on/off switch, I no longer hear any sounds of it being moved or handled on my speakers.

I've gone back and checked all the Volume and Audio settings I can think of, but I can't seem to find any that would pertain to the mic essentially being "on" all the time. When I first installed the mic everything worked great and I never heard any sort of noise over my speakers from mainipulating the headset whatsoever. I'm guessing the driver update changed one of my settings, but the problem is which one?

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Re: Microphone Problem

On the volume control make sure the "mute" box is checked for the microphone. This only affects local playback through the speakers and will not affect TS, games, etc.

Comment

In your volume settings, the microphone should be muted. This does not mute input to the microphone, it mutes the input from being outputted to the speakers.

sigpic

Comment

Doh! It figures the solution would have to be something stupid simple that a bonehead like me would miss :) Thanks very much guys!

Comment

Okay I've muted the mic in the Volume Settings and now I'm not hearing anything on the speakers anymore. However, I just tried testing it in both Teamspeak and Steam's mic test and neither one is picking up my voice at all. Could there be another setting I'm missing?

Comment

On the volume control, goto Options->Properties on that window click "Adjust volume for" -> Recording and then click ok. Now the volume control will display the record level inputs. Make sure that the "Select" box is checked for the microphone and that the volume is pretty high (may need to play with this once it gets working). Click on the "Advanced" button under microphone. If the "Advanced" button doesn't show up, then goto Options->Advanced Controls and it should. On the Advanced Controls for Microphone window, make sure that Microphone boost is checked.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks very much again draeh, now my mic is back in shape again.

Comment

No problem.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse