BF2 wont start now!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 wont start now!

I just upgraded my video card to an HD4850 and now BF2 will not start. It goes to the black screen like its starting up and the cd spins and all but then it just goes back to the desktop and never starts. I dont see any battlefield of bf2 processes in task manager running after this happens. I uninstalled the old nvidia drivers before installing the new ATi ones. I also tried to upgrade the drivers. BF2 ran great before. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling bf2 to no avail. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, im missing out on some serious POE2 fun!!!

Re: BF2 wont start now!

No idea man. That's for some of the more techy members. Although I do wonder why you said quote "I just upgraded to the 4850 today, and I must say it friggin rocks", if BF2 won't start? Not trying to be smart, just wondering.

Comment

I tried it with CS:S...I guess I should have mentioned that lol thanks for pointing that out. Well it turns out something got hosed in windows I think because I installed the same card on another machine with an existing installation of BF2 and POE (same setup just on the work computer here at the office) and BF2 launched fine and ran great. I think it was just a co-incidence that windows took a dump and hosed bf2. Im re-installing windows now, it needed it anyways.

Comment

lol yes, unfortunatley after about one year, whether you can help it or not, your hard drive just gets so cluttered with junk. And you dont even know where to begin, sooooooo you just say Im dumping everything, reformating, and go through the long reinstallation process of not only Windows, but everything! The case of the misfiring BF2 has hopefully been solved.........

Comment

Yea thats pretty much it! It seems like no matter what you do, after about a year windows just isnt as fast as when you first installed it. SO a couple hours and several beers later, I got a fresh gaming machine and a POE2 install that works!

Comment

I am guessing it is a driver issue. I would download revo uninstaller and remove all drivers it shows, then download ccleaner and clean up the drive with that, then download power defragmenter and defrag. Then download updated directx9c(most recent was in June), install then install updated ati drivers.

Or completely reinstall...

BF2 can be really picky about drivers...

Good luck.

Comment

Actually, it might have been the old nvidia drivers not letting go properly. Nvidia is well known to have bits and pieces of drivers that hang around after you delete them.

Look at the www.teakguides.com guide to nvidia and they explain the proper way to uninstall. I was having a problem updating for my 8800, and used the driver sweeper they mention, and installed fine the next try.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_3.html

They also have an ATI guide as well.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                Actually, it might have been the old nvidia drivers not letting go properly. Nvidia is well known to have bits and pieces of drivers that hang around after you delete them.

Look at the http://www.<b><span style="font-size.../span></b>.com guide to nvidia and they explain the proper way to uninstall. I was having a problem updating for my 8800, and used the driver sweeper they mention, and installed fine the next try.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_3.html

They also have an ATI guide as well.
                Bad link Bamboo.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Are you sure. Just tried it again and it works fine?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    Are you sure. Just tried it again and it works fine?

You posted «teakguides.com» instead of «tweakguides.com». The nvidia link is OK.

I know, I'm nitpicking :)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

You can also try the Omega drivers...I use them for my ATI cards and they work great!

http://www.omegadrivers.net/omega_drivers.php

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I am pretty sure he got this issue resolved. I saw him on the POE server last night.

Comment

yea guys I got it fixed, thanks for all your support. Like I said before I ended up just wiping my drive and installing windows fresh and everything works great. needed it anyways. But I will keep all that in mind for next time it happens. Omega only has drivers up to HD3K series, and im running a 4k series so I dont think that it will work since they are using a totally new architecture.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X