Nvidia versus ATI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia versus ATI

My wife would argue otherwise, but i do listen to advice sometimes. I had an earlier post about a new rig, but many of the wonderfully helpful people (special thanks to Bamboo and Long Bow) said wait until the new cards and motherboards dropped. Ker-plunk.

So I had decided on getting a P45 board (still am the PQ5 deluxe) and the 9800gtx. Then along came ATI and the 4870. <insert suspenseful ditty here>
    They have recently dropped the price in Canada of the 9800gtx so now it is about 50-75 bucks cheaper. I have read all the info posted and all of the reviews, but was wondering how the TG community weighs in. I am leaning towards the ATI (to represent my country and all). But I value the opinion of the more knowledgeable...hell, I'll listen to the less as well.

Let "the fork or the spoon" begin--weak 80's reference for the old dudes.
    fignut

Re: Nvidia versus ATI

Originally posted by Fignut View Post
    hell, I'll listen to the less as well.
    Lol on this I'd be below the less. lol. But you asked for it... Anyway i have always preferred nVidia. I'm only 13. I dont have much experience with ATI cards. All I can say is that I have never had any trouble updating drivers on nVidia cards. I can find what I need on their website extremely easily. As for ATI, get someone else's intel on that ballpark. And yes I do update the drivers and all that myself. lol.

Comment

I just got the 4850 today and I must say it friggin rocks! And from what I have read, the 4870 is almost twice as powerful.

Comment

For the lesser intelligence I would guess that 4850 and 4870 are ATI cards. lol

Comment

If the 9800gtx is ~25% less than the 4850, then it should be a better buy.(you haven't really listed the price ratio, only an amount less so I am guessing)

You may want to check around and make sure that is the best deal you can get. Mail in rebates, combo deals, and online coupon codes can all save you money.

The best card for you is also going to be very dependent on what your needs are. The best bang for the buck card is usually less than 100$, however can that bang even run the games you want to play? Thats the problem, buying a card that plays the games you want to play now and one that can play the games you play in the future. Without knowing those future requirements. If you can be satisfied playing on lowered settings then you can probably get yourself a bargain card and save some money. But, if you need all meters cranked to extreme then you should buy somewhere near the top

What I do is find benchmarks of the game I want to play @ my screens resolution average them and compare them to the best price I can find. Then I chose the one that has the best ratio of price to performance with acceptable FPS(~30+).
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Fignut

About to make your decision a bit tougher.
            Nvidia realises they are loosing with the 9800GTX being beaten in many benchmarks by the 4850, even though the 4850 can be found as cheap as $160 after rebates.

So Nivida is about to release in the next week or so the 9800+GTX (notice the little "+" sign.) The normal 9800 is going to drop to $199, and the + model is about $229. The plus is just a little bit faster, and does come in a tiny bit higher in benchmarks than the normal 9800.

And on top of that, in a couple of weeks the 9800GT is supposed to be out, and no one has a clue where it will fit in. You would think it would be below the 9800GTX, but they already have the 8800GTS, 8800GT, and 9600Gt all just a tiny bit slower than the 9800GTX. Is it just me, or is feeling a bit crowded in here.

Right now I am just waiting to see what the aftermarket companies are going to do, then decide. Should be in the next couple of weeks before we find out, and some companies like Dimond are already letting it slip.

Fignut, when you are ready to buy, PM me and I will look around and find you the best card at the price you want to pay.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Breaking news just spotted.

Asus 4850 on newegg is on sale for $145 with free shipping. You have to put in a code and send in a rebate, but $145 is just crazy cheap.

http://www.slickdeals.net/permadeal/...45-After-30MIR

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

If you plan on being 1337 and using Linux in the future, go with an nVidia card. ATi's Linux support is a real pain. NVidia drivers, however, are incredibly easy to install and update in Linux. (Eh, I know there are open source ATi drivers in the works, but at the moment they fail)
                Waldo II

Comment

The quick answer...

Originally posted by Tom's Hardware.com
                  Radeon HD 4870: Better Than GTX 260!
                  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...4870,1964.html

~ Draken

Comment

Yeah those new gen Radeon cards certainly surprised everybody with their performance per dollar. It's tempting for the price, that's for sure.
                    "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                    -- Red Forman

Comment

I have run nothing but ATI cards in all my systems and never really had any problems....

I think it is just a matter of at what point you can buy the cards...both are great brands and it will depend release to release who will have the better bench marks for that moment on top of a better deal... Looks like right now ATI has it...but for how long?

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

If you're deciding between the 4850 and the 9800GTX, just get whichever one costs less. The 4850 is only slightly faster. If it is between the 4870 and the 9800GTX, it is really a no-brainer. The 4870 blows the 9800 out of the water.
                        sigpic

Comment

This article was just posted and pretty much repeats what Buckets said above:

ATI Radeon HD 4850 and 4870: Gaming Performance Review

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Honestly I don't think you could go wrong with a 4850. The 9800GTX isn't a bad card either and will do you fine. The industry will never stand still long enough, you're purchase will be out done in a matter of months.

If you have a bit more money you could step up to a 4870. I would not suggest the 260 or 280 as they are currently not a good value.

How big is your monitor or what size of monitor do you plan to purchase? If you are sticking with a 20-22" with a native resolution of 1680x1050 then the more expensive cards may not really be necessary though they will extend the life of your card.

Be sure to check www.directcanada.com and www.ncix.com for prices, both Canadian, both in BC so you only pay one tax :row__593:

Comment

OHHH boy, man this is getting crazier and crazier :p I am starting to think Bamboo just adds information to posts to torture his victims...jk...a little :)

I have the cash right now so i thought of future (ya I know....) proofing my card and getting the 4870. However, i do run a 22" monitor, so is what you are saying Long Bow, is that I won't see an great improvement in graphics?

On another note, I am going to get a local company to do the build...I have never built one from scratch and i think it is 30 bucks well spent. But thank you for the links.

Soon my posts will be will be boasts.
                              fignut

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...