New Video Card Numbering System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Video Card Numbering System

Why do video card makers (eg: ATI and nVidia) have to use big numbers for their cards? (eg: ATI's are 4850 and 4870, etc. are a couple. nVidia's are like 7600, 8600, 9600, etc.)
    Can't we just go back to the old days of nVidia GeForce 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on and so forth. I think it would be much simpler. What do you guys think?

P.S.: I know this isn't very techy, but I had nothing else to do. Hmmm, scratch that gotta do some fireworks. Happy 4th!

Re: New Video Card Numbering System

Nvidia recently dropped one digit from their naming scheme on the newest models (gtx 260, gtx 280). So you may get your wish in a few more years.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

One of the reasons is because there are so many different versions of each generations of cards that they have to do something to keep them all strait.

You think the gfx. cards numbers are bad, have you seen how many different numbered Intel CPUs are out right now in the marketplace. I can only keep track of the top like 10 or so, and that is just desktop, no mobile cpu at all.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Ya i just noticed that nVidia did that. Also no I haven't noticed the Intel chips YET. lol.

Comment

Heh. I actually don't like some of nVidia's numbering conventions for their cards, namely: the 8xxx and 9xxx series.

Sometimes I confuse them with ATI's older generation Radeons which also share the 8xxx and 9xxx numbering scheme.

Originally posted by Mr Fighter 99
          Ya i just noticed that nVidia did that. Also no I haven't noticed the Intel chips YET. lol.
          Intel actually uses a number scheme for their older Pentium 4 series: 5xx. This was done shortly after their Core 2 Duo line released and when they started taking some of the older series and using them as a basis for lower end dual-core chips.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Try following PowerPC, where you have both Motorola (now Freescale) and IBM with their own numbering systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

This article was just posted and talks about most of the currently avaiable mainstream desktop CPUs

Intel Core 2 Processor Performance Comparison Guide Rev. 2.5

They even do a review with them. What is intersting is the graph shows what we have talked about a few times in the forum about most CPUs not really being the bottleneck right now, it is GPUs. Look how most of the scores for Crysis are nearly the same.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Uh, Bam...think you posted that in the wrong topic. ;)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sorry. I posted it here because it is minor and above we talked also about Intel's crazy numbering as well.

Didn't think it was worth posting a new thread for.:row__536:

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X