Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones suggestion

hey guys

I have been to SO MANY websites going over arduous details of what seems like a hundred headphones and headsets. I have never had this much trouble on determining what I want for an upgrade. I can't get a straight answer.

Right now I have a pretty crappy pair of headphones, I had better ones but they broke. I'm looking for headphones or headsets that have:
    1.Good quality in sound and build
    2.good positioning (hearing a sound and being able to tell EXACTLY where it came from.)
    3.Being able to hear every sound clearly, ex. footsteps 50ft+ away.

I have went over 5.1 headsets, which seem like they would give better positioning than a simple stereo set regardless of the quality, but then again, this is why I am asking.

I am looking in the "around or less than $100" price range.
    [sigpic]

sigpic

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more."
    -Mark Twain

In game: |TG| Maxwell_Q_Klinger

Re: Headphones suggestion

I use these headphones, and they are magical. Clear sound, in and out, and will work with any computer without extra drivers (3.5mm plugs) slowin' you down.

Crative Fatal1ty Headset.

They are incredibly comfortable. There is cushioning both around the ears and on top of the head. The cord is like ten feet long (I keep part of it wrapped up all the time), and there is a device on the cord that lets you adjust the volume and turn the mic on/off. The mic itself can attached and taken off easily, so if you aren't gaming, you can enjoy the awesome quality of the sound.

Awesome.

Edit: The bass is quite nice, so you can hear the rumble of APCs from afar nicely.
    Waldo II

Comment

Logitech ClearChat Pro USB Headset

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104096

==================================

Works Great for Gaming

Reviewed By: Draken on 6/27/2008
      Tech Level: high
      Ownership: 1 month to 1 year

Pros: Great for gaming, listing to music, or recording audio. I'm 6'2 and these things actually fit my fat head!

Cons: I wear glasses and I have found the need to pop the head set off after about an hour or so do to comfort. Wearing has never been painful, more of just needing a quick break in between rounds. Something I have had to do with almost every headset I've ever used.

Other Thoughts: Despite the need to give my ears a break once in a while I really love this head set. I originally bought these for use in online gaming (BF2142), and have since used them for audio recording, VOIP, and even watching movies or listing to music. Audio quality is top notch, and in most cases has proven better then my larger full speaker system; particularly at being able to notice the finer details like the sound of someone trying to sneak up behind me in game. Over all I would recommend these to any one looking at headsets, for gaming or other.

~ Draken

==================================

A copy paste of a review for the headset that I own. This is what I would recommend. It is not quite the full surround sound that you may be looking for, but I can tell with rather impressive accuracy the direction of most sounds.

Also - |TG-AIR| DrBeat seems to like them as well...
      http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ml#post1025129

~ Draken

Comment

(image is link)

I use an older version of this. My favorite part is how it rests on your head. Instead of the hard plastic frame, it's a rubber-like band. It makes the earphones feel as if they're floating next to you instead of clamped on your head :P

Haikus are easy.
        But sometimes they don't make sense.
        Refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
          http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/pc-gaming-headsets/audio-770

I use an older version of this. My favorite part is how it rests on your head. Instead of the hard plastic frame, it's a rubber-like band. It makes the earphones feel as if they're floating next to you instead of clamped on your head :P
          Oh, yes. I have an older model that is USB only, called the DSP 500, and I would highly recommend it as a gaming headset.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Sennheiser P161, fantastic performance and very comfortable. No idea what they retail for in the US though.

Comment

Sennheiser P151's here. They sound pretty good and were only like $40 dollars US.

|

Comment

I was wondering if a USB headset is better than a headset with a mic in and audio in plug?

Comment

Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/

^ Great place to go to search, discover, and get quality feedback on a pair of headphones you have in mind. Most of the posters and users on there are audiophiles to one degree or another.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
                    I was wondering if a USB headset is better than a headset with a mic in and audio in plug?
                    It depends on what kind of sound card you have, really. Converting digital information to analog sound AND have it sound good is not as easy as you might think. The Digital to Analog Converter is the key to this, and there are good ones and crappy ones out there. If you've got a good sound card, then standard audio plugs will probably sound better, but the brand name USB headsets sound pretty good on their own.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Ah yes I use this exact same Plantronics model he linked to up there somewhere(would provide quote but won't allow the URL). 75$ for me at Best Buy. Awesome!!! Gold connectors, also includes a USB plugin thing that iinstead of using onboard or sound card the USB little box thing is the mini sound card, onboard's better lol. I use a Creative X-Fi card.

Comment

I use either a pair of Turtle Beach or Altec Lansings...it depends on my mood but the Turtles for me are by far the better set...JJ

Comment

Turtle Beach is amazing sound!
                          I had the X52 and loved it! It was 5.1 surround, I could tell exactly where I was getting shot from in PR, and it was really comfortable. Unfortunately I stepped on them one night and there were no more at the store.

When I went back to the store I got the HPA2. It is essentially the same thing with maybe slightly better quality sound. I did have problems with people telling me the mic was fuzzy sounding so I had to use my X52 mic. Another gripe about these is that they have an auto-adjust for size so you can't wear them looser than normal or tighter than normal, it will always be the same. Also the elastic that makes them auto-adjust snapped after a couple months.

Both headsets have controls attached to the cord allowing you to manually adjust front, sub, center, and surround speakers. Both also have amazing bass and clear treble with well-balanced midtones.

I highly suggest the Turtle Beach X52 but the HPA2 not so much. X52 is seriously ultimate in surround sound headphone that is super comfortable (and I wear glasses) BTW, the turtle beach site says they're for $80 but I got mine for $50 or less at Fry's so take a look around.

Comment

I am running these:

TRITTON AX360 Coaxial & Fiber Optic Circumaural True 5.1 Digital Audio Gaming Headset

I would have never spent about $100 on headphones, but I had that much in gift cards to newegg, and I read a lot of tech site reviews that liked them. Since I got them though the rating on newegg has gone down a lot. But reading a lot of the poor reviews, it seems like it is people that were hooking it up to their gaming console (one of the features is a mini amp in the package) and were hooking it up wrong.

If you have a good sound card, these headphones are great. I have mentioned it in this forum a few times that I will be watching some show online like Lost or something and hear a noise behind me and I get up and go look to see what it was. I kept animals for nature programs, and figured a snake or lizard got out or something. Don't find anything, so sit back down and realize it is the rear channel speakers in the headphones messing with my head. I actually thought something was behind me.

I will say they are a bit lacking in bass (I am a base junkie though), but that could also be some setting that I never messed with. Right now I just plugged the 4 plugs (front, center, rear, and mic) into my sound card and turn all the settings to 10. It is fun to be listening to something and mess with the in-line controler and like turn down the center channel, and then the main, and just keep messing with it so you can hear the actual channels.

$100 is a lot, but they do have some other models.
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...TabStoreType=0

As far as hearing things in game, last night for instance in ARMA, one of the guys on my team that spawned in late was driving over, and was like 2000m away, and I could still hear his Humvee. Was crossing my fingers no one on the other team had good sound or that meant they knew where we were as well. Should have knocked on wood, because less than a min. later I got ambushed and shot in the back.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have the same ones :)

I ditched the el cheapo amp and hooked them up directly to my sound card.

Agree on the lack of bass, but otherwise, I like them a lot. And I run them full blast too.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X