Drop in Avg FPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop in Avg FPS

when i first got my Radeon HD3870 i got an avg of 130 fps in CS. Now that number is closer to 100-110. is there anyway to get these FPS back or do cards gradually lose performance? i have had the card for around 5 months.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Re: Drop in Avg FPS

Most likely there is something else in the system that has changed over that time. Other software or a driver update that is taking more resources than previous. Hardware doesn't usually degrade in the fashion of dropped FPS. A hardware degradation would lead to visible artifacts.

Comment

Also, have you dusted out your graphics card?

Usually that's the #1 cause of a framerate drop in games.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Also, have you dusted out your graphics card?
        True. Some cards throttle performance based on die temp. forgot that one. Some motherboards throttle the processor itself based on die temp. too. A good and thorough cleaning is not a bad idea regardless of whether or not it fixes your trouble.

Comment

Usually if it's a driver that's causing a drop in framerates, it's usually apparent immediately. Unless the new driver version fixes something major and important, you can just switch back to your previous version.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It could be that something was set that would affect gameplay. Maybe in the settings it was set so that all applications use AA instead of letting the application decide? Or something like that.

I always assume I did something first because that is usually what it is.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

well i havn't updated the drivers since i bought it, and i will probably dust it out. sigh.... i hate opening my PC. always that fear of shocking something..... oh well.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
                well i havn't updated the drivers since i bought it, and i will probably dust it out. sigh.... i hate opening my PC. always that fear of shocking something..... oh well.
                Always wear a anti-static strap. That way you don't accidentally transfer some static electricity to your components.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

straps are a good idea, but even if you don't have one some times, be smart about doing it and you shouldn't have a problem. like being barefoot not on carpet and touching a bunch of different metal things before touching anything inside your computer.

but to dust it out you don't need to touch anything. Just get a can of compressed air and blow all your heat sinks out really well.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Touching random metal stuff outside the computer doesn't help. The important thing is to make your skin the same potential as the frame ground of the computer itself. That means touching bare metal of the computer case. Or a screw holding the motherboard in place.

Note that the computer doesn't need to be plugged in. I always unplug mine, to make sure there are no "trickle circuits" running except the clock (which is on a small 3v battery).

The main reason for a ground strap is to provide a continuous bleed of charge while you work. It insures that you don't build up a charge while your hands are away from the computer (for example by skuffing a carpet or having the cat rub up behind you in dry weather).
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      Touching random metal stuff outside the computer doesn't help. The important thing is to make your skin the same potential as the frame ground of the computer itself. That means touching bare metal of the computer case. Or a screw holding the motherboard in place.

Note that the computer doesn't need to be plugged in. I always unplug mine, to make sure there are no "trickle circuits" running except the clock (which is on a small 3v battery).

The main reason for a ground strap is to provide a continuous bleed of charge while you work. It insures that you don't build up a charge while your hands are away from the computer (for example by skuffing a carpet or having the cat rub up behind you in dry weather).
                      :) Monkey got it mostly on the dime. (Grr, I really miss being able to +rep people!)

If you do unplug your computer, switch your PSU to off before you do so. Also if you don't plan on unplugging, it is still a good idea to switch your PSU to off.

Of course if you have a Dell/Gateway/HP/Compaq machine, most likely you have a cheapo PSU without such a switch. In which case, I recommend unplugging.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What's the benefit of switching off the PSU?

The only time I do that is as a quick way to skip waiting 8 seconds for the front-panel power switch to override the mobo smart power circuit and reset the system when things are too hung for the front panel switch to power things down.

If I'm going to be working inside the system, I unplug everything. Power can come in through any cable. There's supposed to be protective circuitry but why risk it?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Well my dad's always taught me to switch it to "off" before unplugging it in the event there's a surge or something while I'm unplugging it.

It makes sense to me.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Throwing the switch is unplugging it. It just breaks the metal path in the circuit. Things would be no better if the surge hit at the moment you threw the switch.

Perhaps the concern is arcing, and the switch might be more robust against arcing than the power connector.

Comment

1. Dust
                              2. Another program that is eating fps
                              3. Could be your card.

Most likely 1. or 2. I hope this helps.
                              Look under your chair!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse