Turn Your $60 Router into a User-Friendly Super-Router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Your $60 Router into a User-Friendly Super-Router

This is an article from back in January. I wasn't really active here back then, and it just popped up on a best of the year review.

It explains how you can easily take your home router, update to some open source firmware, and then tweak till your heart's content. One of the best parts is being able to up the power of your transmission signal so it can reach further around the house/yard. My understanding is there is a limit the FCC allows companies to ship their router stock, so this is a way around that.

http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-yo...er-with-tomato

If anybody tries this post back, let us know how much better it works. I would try it, but my wi-fi only needs to go about 20 ft. down the hall to the living room and does just fine.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Turn Your $60 Router into a User-Friendly Super-Router

Remember that you can only crank up the transmitter power, not the receiver, and higher transmit power can interfere with reception. It's like yelling at someone so loudly that you can't hear their reply.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I had been thinking about doing this, but was afraid of bricking my router.

Comment

Yet another reason why my D-Link purchase was so poor.

Though I get so many complaints about the dropped wireless signal, and I notice the performance isn't really all that great, so perhaps it's a good excuse to go out and get something different and a bit better.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X