HDD advice -- any suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD advice -- any suggestions?

I've got an external LaCie (containing a 500 gig 7200rpm Samsung) HD that died on me the other day. I turn it on and I just just a very faint tapping about every 3/4 of a sec (not to be confused with clicking, which surely means death of a HD from my experience). The HD doesn't show up in the Windows device manager or in OS X's Disk Utility. Any last ditch suggestions? If I went the data recovery path, my budget is around $500. Thanks in advance.

|TG-9th|BZ55
    "By Any Means"

Re: HD advice -- any suggestions?

I've heard of putting them in the freezer. I've never done it myself though.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think this needs to be moved to the Hardware and Software Discussion Board

Comment

Check the power supply that powers the drive... I've also heard of chilling drives, but I'd be careful about actually freezing it.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

one of my internal HDDs did the same thing you describe when I put too much pressure on it by squishing it in with some wires. If there is anything sitting on top of your external take it off and see if it works.

Comment

Re: HDD advice -- any suggestions?

Take the actual hard drive out of the external enclosure, then slowly rotate the hard drive around and around.

If you hear clanking/clinking noises, then most likely one of the platters came apart or the needle itself broke.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

as for a new drive I just got the WD SE16 640GB and its been great very fast and cheap. now its even cheaper I got mine for 95
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                as for a new drive I just got the WD SE16 640GB and its been great very fast and cheap. now its even cheaper I got mine for 95
                nice! i was actually looking at that a while back and hoping it would drop in price.

Comment

I've heard a few ways to make the cryogenic approach feasible. In short, you chill it in a sealed bag (except for wires which you seal around) with something to absorb the moisture that's in the air in the bag; you chill it; when ready you plug it into a prepared system (destination drive, barebones OS install) and you copy your ass off.

Afterwards, you get some magnets. Once you start using quality rare-earth magnets, you'll never want to see a wimpy ceramic magnet ever again.

Comment

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys! I'll definitely give them a try. Good call on that WD... I did a couple solid hours of reading and research and the WDs seem to come out ahead. On top of that--on the anecdotal side--all my WDs to date are still doing great. Fortunately (?), the stuff on that HS could have been MUCH worse. Let my blood spilled be a healthy reminder to dust off your backup scripts and make sure your important stuff is backed up! :^)

Thanks,
                    Andy

|TG-9th|BZ55
                    "By Any Means"

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      If you hear clanking/clinking noises, then most likely one of the platters came apart or the needle itself broke.
                      You mean the head. I don't think they've ever used vinyl for hard drives, old timer. :p
                      Last edited by ScratchMonkey; 07-11-2008, 12:03 AM.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X