Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(sigh) Yet another problem with my system...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (sigh) Yet another problem with my system...

That's right, there is yet again another problem with my computer.

I woke up this morning, went downstairs, turned on my system, and got a BSOD so fast that all I caught was "physical memory".

Well, it seems I'm cursed. Plus it has to happen the day before my new computer parts arrive. :icon_eek:
    • So, did a reboot via the button. Same problem.
    • Turned off my computer, switched off the PSU, and unplugged it. Waited several minutes, plugged it back in, and turned it on. Same problem.
    • Turned it off, unplugged it, touched myself to the chassis, then unseated the pair of DDR400 and reseated it. Turned it back on. Did not solve it.
    • Tried booting into Safe Mode (and every other option). The computer reboots and gives me the same quick flash of a BSOD, then reboots again. Oh joy.
    • Went into BIOS, stared at normal temperatures and voltage readings. Nothing seemed out of place. Had it reset to "defaults", then rebooted. BSOD and reboot. Starting to hate my day.

So now I plan on doing the following things:
    • Burn Memtest86 onto a CD. Run it on my machine for a few passes. If errors pop up, I swap in another pair of memory.
    • If nothing comes up as erronous, I still swap in another pair of memory.
    • If still not working: pull hair out and act like a gorilla on PMS.

Why (you piece of junk)?!

Oh yes, suggestions, comments, life stories welcome.

Edit: I'm running Windows XP. The system in my signature is not this one.
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 07-08-2008, 01:25 PM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: (sigh) Yet another problem with my system...

You didn't mention if you had tried running with just 1 stick of memory in at a time and switching them out if the 1st one doesn't work. Maybe just 1 stick went bad?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      You didn't mention if you had tried running with just 1 stick of memory in at a time and switching them out if the 1st one doesn't work. Maybe just 1 stick went bad?
      Whoops knew I forgot to try something.

I'll try that now. :)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Did not work. Tried it with both DIMMs. I still got the quick BSOD.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Have you checked the Event Logs as well? If you can get a more specific error, it would steer you closer to the right direction. Though I would still make some passes with memtest anyhow. Also, back down to standard timing if your system is overclocked at all.

I had a system that consistently crashed Excel, and only brought up a few arcane messages; one of which was a memory error "memory could not be read" (which typically indicates the memory has gone bad). Yet this was a brand new machine, and the Dell diagnostics had come back clean.

Fast forward a few days and as it turned out, it was a video driver issue having to do with the fact that used on-board graphics with shared memory.. I updated the driver from the standard Windows default, to the actual Intel driver, and it solved the issue. Not saying it's your issue, but showing an example of how sometimes it's something a bit different than what you think.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
            Have you checked the Event Logs as well?
            I have thought of that, but I can't get into Safe Mode. If I could I would gladly take a took at the logs, but I can't get into the one thing that I need: Safe Mode.

Going to try Memtest form a CD-ROM again. Couldn't get it to boot the first itme.

Edit: No luck in getting Memtest86 from booting from the ROM. I don't have any other computers with a floppy drive so that option just went out the window. (I don't have any of my previous memtest floppies either.)

Going to try and find the pair of memory that I had.
            Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 07-08-2008, 01:24 PM.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

[QUOTE=Acreo Aeneas;1032077][QUOTE=Spulat;1032069]Have you checked the Event Logs as well?

I have thought of that, but I can't get into Safe Mode. If I could I would gladly take a took at the logs, but I can't get into the one thing that I need: Safe Mode.

Going to try Memtest form a CD-ROM again. Couldn't get it to boot the first itme.

Edit: No luck in getting Memtest86 from booting from the ROM. I don't have any other computers with a floppy drive so that option just went out the window. (I don't have any of my previous memtest floppies either.)

Going to try and find the pair of memory that I had.
              Have you tried booting to Vista's recovery console, off the disc?

You can also use BartPE, or the UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD). Compile it with your disc, burn the iso, then pop it in and boot into a Windows environment. That should allow you to scour around for those logs.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

I'm not using Vista. I'm using Windows XP.

It seems the spare pair of DDR400 that I had was placed in brother's computer's "toolkit' box. Which he lost. *sigh*

Going to go with Plan C: Windows XP Repair (after I get some other stuff done).

Plan D is: Reformat (lose my data) and Reinstall of Windows XP Pro.

If both of that fails. Then I give up on this comp. Tired of buying low-end budget parts just to keep it going for a year or so.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  • If still not working: pull hair out and act like a gorilla on PMS.
                  Is it time for this step yet? :row__593:

I hate it when stuff breaks. Especially when you were 1 day away from retiring it to gather dust in the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    I'm not using Vista. I'm using Windows XP.

It seems the spare pair of DDR400 that I had was placed in brother's computer's "toolkit' box. Which he lost. *sigh*

Going to go with Plan C: Windows XP Repair (after I get some other stuff done).

Plan D is: Reformat (lose my data) and Reinstall of Windows XP Pro.

If both of that fails. Then I give up on this comp. Tired of buying low-end budget parts just to keep it going for a year or so.
                    The system in your sig designated Vista Home, so I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Good luck on the chase.

Comment

Thanks Spulat.

Okay, I'm back and now I'm going to plug in the memory back in then do a Windows Repair.

I''ll edit this post with my success or failure.

Edit: I skipped to Plan D.

So far, so good. I've successfully reformatted and now Windows is installing. If it all works out, I should have this system back up and running before I get my next PC parts tomorrow.

*crosses fingers and hopes no BSODs/random reboots appear*

Draeh,
                      I did not plan on retiring this system. I had plans on handing it over to my sister to replace her 7+ year old system.

Edit 2: Got it installed and now doing some updates. Once the first batch is complete, I'm going to do a complete power cycle.
                      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 07-08-2008, 02:33 PM.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It also could be a bad IDE / SATA cable. it only take a small nick or crimp to destroy one. If the install fails, try swapping it out.

Good luck.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

See Edit 2.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Something very weird has happened that I can't seem to fix.

After validating Windows, I went and installed the latest nV drivers for the 7600GS.

After the required reboot, Windows set my display resolution to 800 x 600, 4-bit color depth, and 60 hz refresh.

I can't change it to make it 32-bit color depth or resolution higher even after reinstalling the drivers and install the monitor driver.

Any advice?

Edit: Crap. This driver might be bad.
                            Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 07-08-2008, 04:21 PM.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Okay, problem resolved. Installed a older driver that works fine. It seems my system took a new disliking to the latest driver.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X