Attention Zone Alarm Users...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Zone Alarm Users...

I should know better by now, but I just allowed a windows update program to run on my computer (something regarding MALWARE REMOVAL TOOL)... and in turn the internet connection on my computer is now down..

the laptop is working just fine.. The connections are enabled so I dont know what is going on..

Any Ideas

*** FIXED ***

http://www.webmasterworld.com/pda_mo...ng/3694174.htm
    Last edited by llPANCHOll; 07-09-2008, 05:50 PM.

Re: Windows update killed my internet connection

Yeah, Microsoft broke Zone Alarm so you'll have an incentive to use Windows Firewall instead.

Comment

Attention Zone Alarm Users...

I've been having intermittent connection problems for a while and was blaming it on my new WLAN router.

It turns out that Zone Alarm doesn't like a recent MS update and starts blocking stuff it shouldn't.

Full info:-

"PUNTERS who use the ZoneAlarm security package might not want to install MS update KB951748.

According to several news groups, the first thing you will notice after running the update is that your internet connection dies as KB951748 made changes to the networking files that Zone Alarm doesn't like. It then decides to block everything just to be safe.

You can get around the problem by setting the Internet Zone Security permission slider from high to medium and that will give you your connection back but that is not really a good idea if you want high security.

Source:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/new...ate-kills"

Comment

Re: Attention Zone Alarm Users...

Really, you should be turning off your software firewall every time you fire up a game. I had all sorts of problems with BF2 when I was running ZA, which cleared up when I got rid of it. It's a really cumbersome piece of software to have running at the same time as an online game and it's extremely unlikely that your computer will be attacked specifically if you have a hardware firewall in the form of a router (unless you picked up a virus or malware through web browsing, torrents, etc...).

There are quite a few good tips on security and gaming at www.tweakguides.com. I've been following their doctrine for a good 5 years now and haven't had any viruses or malware, and I'm (mostly) happy with the performance of my PC! :D
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Ahhh, that is what happened to me last night I think. A couple of windows updates and I can't get a connection.

My laptop was fine running wireless but not my hard wired PC. I was about to get out my hammer when I reset the router for the 3rd time everything suddenly worked again.

Grrrr not good when the kids are a sleep and the wife is out, how cruel to deny me an internet connection then :icon_eek:

Comment

I'm going to disagree and say that when connecting your PC to a public server of possibly dubious integrity is exactly when I want at least one firewall in place.

ZA have a version ready that'll fix the problems Evil Bill caused..

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

Comment

I agree, which is why I run my computer behind a router (despite it being the only PC in my household). Anyway, good tip, and to each his own.
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I turned automatic updates off ages ago. The only possible way I could get a virus or hacked is if X-Fire gets hacked, and I'm smart enough not to join the "lets break the record lulz" mass chatrooms...

Seriously though, all I use my gaming computer for is PR, X-Fire, and Teamspeak. I haven't even installed the latest Windows Media Player, or IE 7. I don't even have a wallpaper. My other computer runs OpenSUSE, so I probably have a more secure computer than any of you. Linux rules. Try it.
                Waldo II

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me last night too. Zone Alarm released an update today that corrects the problem. Just download your particular product from the list, install and you'll be all set.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

Comment

Yeah I uninstalled the update, and then today when I get home from work.. It automatically updated, I couldnt say no or close the program.. so I had to remove it again..

Comment

I'll mention this here:

That last Microsoft Windows update (released July 8th, 2008) doesn't just affect ZoneAlarm. For some systems (like the one behind me - only using Windows Firewall), it's disabled any outgoing packets from reaching my router/modem.

A quick fix would be to uninstall that patch and wait until they release a fixed one.

Pancho, just turn off automatic updates.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, I'm a ZoneAlarm user and have been too busy to look into why I couldn't use the intarweb for the last couple of days. My linux laptop saved me... I updated ZoneAlarm, and everything's peachy now.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X