future school project!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• future school project!

I go to a school that offers industry certifications to students in several fields last year i graduated the A+ hardware/software course with honors top of class and as such next years project which requires the cooperation of the Net+, A+, culinary arts, construction, AutoCAD classes i will be the IT division Admin

what we are doing...

we are going to upgrade a 1948 school cafeteria into the new modern culinary arts class. according to the principal the last thing that really updated was a required installation of metal counters in the late 60's and they got a new Hobart industrial mixer in the 80's.

my team will be installing state of the art touchscreen POS units and setting up a POS network along with menu display screens and register to kitchen monitors.

heres the real kicker, as the head i have to make some discisons about about the hardware to use and the software. it cant get to expensive we are on a budget (they didnt tell me how much so im going with Federally cheap) so im really relieing on Open source freeware instead of $600 POS software (between the server and the 2 register machines that would be in the 1200-1800 dollar range thats IF i dont have to buy copies for the thing clients also.)

Software is my only real issue hereive found some suitable Open source stuff but the only one i could test under my windows environment was a piece of DOS software (there's a word you'd though you'd never here again eh?) and the rest requires a KDE enviroment which i cant get (outta test boxes i actually have a copy of Knoppix, Pardus, OpenSuSe.)
    if anyone has some experience with resturant POS software thats cheap/free please post it.

the hardware - the only hardware we are buying are the 2 POS registers (the touchscreen ones) and the kitchen monitors. we have a suitable server and some thin clients (PLZ dont catch fire decripted piece of!). snd this place Geeks.com ive used there good and they give schools discounts.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...180T-R&cat=SYS
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...150M-R&cat=MON
    I will not place claymores in my front yard.

Re: future school project!

I don't know about POS but for ERP you could check out OFBiz. But you need a Java wiz to set it up, as it's very much a toolbox, not a turn-key system.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

dang, we don't teach Java. i think im going to have to use the linux solution but i need to get a test box running some form of KDE (strangest thing the download instructions specified a requirement of KDE desktop to use this software.)

Comment

The people here at work turned me on to Ubuntu linux. I tried it and Im a big fan of it now. Their support forums are great too. They have it in 32 and 64 bit versions. I have tried both and they both work very well, but there are fewer supported apps for 64bit ubuntu. You might want to check it out and try it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Comment

one more thing, if your systems are not going to be really powerful (more than 512MB of ram) you may want to look into Xubuntu. Its the same as ubuntu, except its more lightweight, so you can run it well on slower systems.

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/xubuntu

Comment

I've heard that Xubuntu installations are usually more trouble than just using a lighter distro. I have no personal experience, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
              dang, we don't teach Java.
              I haven't had a chance yet, but I really want to check out IcedTea.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

i think ultimiatly i could never get a sign off on anything that requires students to write code as we have no programming courses (computer courses are A+ Net+ IC3)

ive used Ubuntu and i loved it it was on my laptop that i took notes in class with but its the wrong platform we will problemly be using knoppix redhat or Pardus (the teacher is a knoppix lover how ever im willing to fight claw and teeth for Pardus) my only real concern about using Linux is supporting it (which is why i like pardus its friendly and can be taught to the chefs in a hour) what im wondering is if theres a OS that is built specifically to be a POS that i can just install on a machine and go. but i doubt it so a hunting i will go (but not on the TRM server :))

Comment

I work for one of the country's largest casual dining restaurants. We use MICROS ($$$$$$) it runs under Windows XP. But then again we have touch screens, mag cards, KDS (Kitchen Display Systems), thermal & non-thermal printers, etc.....

Have you checked out Hotscripts.com? I think I found a few programs on there I was testing for a friends restaurant. They aren't free but I don't think they were TOO expensive (I could be wrong though)

Comment

cool, im trying to figure out how much MICROS is but from what ive seen it may cost 2 much and the students are supposed to build the systems we cant have a company come in and set it up for us. the problem with hotscripts (as cool as it is) is its all webbased POS stuff and there are no internet lines in the cafeteria (plus teenagers + internet = hacked and virus filled computers)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
                      (plus teenagers + internet = hacked and virus filled computers)
                      I thought that was old people + internet. My WoW group once had to wait an hour in the middle of questing while one member talked his father-in-law through undeleting his account. (It's a PVP server and we felt obligated to protect his AFK toon from potential gankers, not knowing how long he'd be gone.)

Comment

Are you going to be using touchscreens or keyboards or what?

Comment

touch screens, unless the higher ups decide there to expensive (higher ups are principal vice and the teachers the idea is going in a report that is handed off to them for evaluation)

system im using -
                          http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...180T-R&cat=SYS

i know these kids there my friends the culinary class is right next to the IT building and they serve us lunch. but i know they LOVE myspace, facebook, limewire. and with the condition of the student access computers in the libray i don't want to risk machines with credit information and possibly some chefs daily grade.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X