Dual Boot vs Virtual PC 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot vs Virtual PC 2007

I am getting ready to reformat my system and I am thinking about making some changes. I currently have a dual boot setup in which I use one side only for gaming and the other side for day to day usage. I figure this way the system I use for gaming will not be corrupted by adding and removing programs. Virtual pc came to mind because I would not have to restart to move between the system I will be using everyday and the system I will be gaming on. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Which would you do, a dual boot system or a virtual pc system?

2. If you would choose virtual pc, can you install from an Acronis backup image?

3. When running a virtual pc, how much of the ram from the system can you use?

Here is my system:

AMD Phenom 9600
    Antec Earthwatts 380
    Foxconn A78AX-S
    4GB OCZ ram
    PNY 9600GT
    Seagate 7200.11 320gb
    Windows XP SP3
    Kidding about the Earthwatts:>
    Last edited by gator skywalker; 07-11-2008, 02:44 AM.

Re: Dual Boot vs Virtual PC 2007

vmware 6 is what I use. I have an XP-pro install that I boot up for testing, I have it set to one core, 1 gig, and a 10gig HDD. It flies as is, but the advantage is that I can just make a copy of the folder and now I have 2, or I can make changes and just restore a snapshot. The other thing is the portability of the VM. you can install VMWare player on any machine and get your VM running in a few minutes. can't do that with multiple partitions.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

We've been using Virtualbox here at work for software testing. I know from experience its better than Virtual PC.

Comment

I haven't tried the virtual PC or virtual box yet...but I do run the Tiny XP as a dual boot for my normal every day XP and it flies. A lot of the unnecessary files are gone and services that aren't normally used are removed.

I just did a clean install of Tiny XP...loaded my SOund Drivers, Game Pad Drivers and the Omega Video Card Drivers and it was good to go...

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

VMware is awesome i cant remember the specs it handles but i think that you have the ability to choose how much ram and which hardware it uses. when my dad gets home ill ask him hes VMware certified (dont know what it is called but his job payed for it so he got it) one thing i do know is that VMware limits you to about directX 6 or 7 so it cant game.
          I will not place claymores in my front yard.
          I will not place claymores in my front yard.

Comment

VMWare 6 allows USB2.0 and DX9.0 wihout shaders.

they are currently in beta testing for dx9 and dx10 for the next release (probably 6.5)

and yes, you can dynamically slide the mem up or down at any time. I run with 256 stock, but if I need to test some large program, I ramp it up as high as 3 in just 2 clicks and 5 seconds.

you can also "install" any hardware just by editing the configuration of the VM. If I need to install software from an ISO, I just mount the CDrom as the ISO instead of my DVD. then to burn, I just switch it back.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X