Router Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Problems

My router is starting to act flaky and I am wondering if I got a bad one or maybe inputed a bad setting.

If I connect to the internet through my router, I get windows XP telling me that I have no or limited connection. As soon as I connect my computer directly to the internet, I can access it with no issues.

The router is a Linksys Wireless-B 2.4 GHz. I set up the utility to automatically detect IP address and left the rest of the setup settings default.

For the wireless portion (for the wireless laptop), I enabled it and used WEP for security purposes.

It worked before (as in this morning, I was able to get onto the internet with no issues) but when I got home today from work, I couldn't access the net through it. Have rebooted and reset the router with no noticable difference in the performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :icon9:

Re: Router Problems

Any neighbours close by? Perhaps one of them got a new 2.4Ghz cordless phone. Have you checked for updated firmware? Maybe it will solve the connection problems. Is there a log on the router? If so, what does it show?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
      Any neighbours close by? Perhaps one of them got a new 2.4Ghz cordless phone.
      Damn, I have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone and it sits right next to the router. I didn't even think of that until you mentioned the phone....though if the problem had existed all the time, I would have checked it out. With this only happening recently, I didn't assume it was because of anything I had. Do I need to get a different phone or a different router then?

Have you checked for updated firmware? Maybe it will solve the connection problems. Is there a log on the router? If so, what does it show?
      I will check for those tonight.

Comment

You could try going into the router setup and switching to a different channel. I think you can choose from 1-11. I'm just taking a stab at the 2.4Ghz phone thing. I think it would only be a problem if it's in use.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I probably have the same router you have. One thing to check when the issue occurs, if you haven't already, is the Status page through the Linsys web interface. That gives you your outside IP address and DNS servers. If it doesn't show that you have any of those then you have a connection problem to the outside world. I know that you said when you go straight through your broadband connection, it works. So it would appear that it is something with your router or the connection between your router and broadband connection. Perhaps a different cable between the two.

This may not help but....when I get this issue it is usually because my DSL connection took a crap. I can usually revive it by unplugging power to the router and turning off the DSL modem. I then wait 60 seconds and turn on the DSL modem and let it go through it's normal boot process. Once that is done, then I plug in the router. I wait for it's normal boot process and then go into through the web interface and check the status page. Of course you would have to go through the web interface using a wired computer.

You might also try resetting your WEP information on both ends to make sure nothing has changed.

Worst case scenario, you may have to reset your router back to factory defaults.

[volun]

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
            Damn, I have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone and it sits right next to the router. I didn't even think of that until you mentioned the phone....though if the problem had existed all the time, I would have checked it out. With this only happening recently, I didn't assume it was because of anything I had. Do I need to get a different phone or a different router then?
            This sounds like the most likely problem. You should be able to just switch channels on either the phone or access point in order to clear things up. Simply turning off the phone for a while would be a good way to confirm it's the problem.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

So have you got it going yet Wolf?

I have a Linksys WRT54-G wireless router and could post some screenshots of my setup or try to give you some settings to check against your own or something...

Comment

It is back up and running.

I updated the firmware but that did not solve the issue.

I turned the phone completely off and that did not solve the issue.

What I ended up doing was enable the MAC address and cloned my ethernet card's MAC addy on the PC. As soon as I did that, it worked with no issues.....so far.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X