CoolerMaster PSU Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoolerMaster PSU Issue

I've been having some graphics issues lately and after a few back and forths with ATI they've concluded that its likely a PSU problem. I didn't believe them, thinking they just didn't want to have to replace a card with bad ram, but after checking out my HD I noticed a little something.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7102/psuov9.jpg

Despite the huge 600W sticker, the model number hints at 500W and not 600!

I went onto coolermaster support to make a support ticket, when I selected my model # it showed as a 500w psu!

WTF? Did I get duped by a fancy sticker or did they misprint a few boxes? Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

I'm running a

P4 Northwood 3.0
    Intel 865GBF Mother Board
    1x SATA WDAAKKS 750GB HD
    1x Sapphire/ATI X1950 Pro 512 AGP
    1x DVD RW
    1x PCI SB Audigy 2

A 600 W power supply should have no trouble here.
    A 500 W power supply should be ok too!

Using Everest I just pulled this up.

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.47 V
    +1.5 V 1.49 V
    +3.3 V 3.37 V
    +5 V 5.13 V
    +12 V 11.94 V

Is the 0.06V variance significant on the 12v rail? Could that be indicative of low voltage on the line going to the GPU which doesn't have a sensor reporting here?

Any thoughts?
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: CoolerMaster PSU Issue

I believe the requirements for that card is 30A on the 12v rail, your PSU gives 36A on the 12v rails at peak. Based on that you should be alright, but keep in mind:

1) PSU's degrade over time, even after just a year. You wouldn't neccessarily notice unless you are already close to your PSU's limit and then even then under very high load.
    2) Some PSU's are notorious for not providing their rated power.

I don't know if there is any way to monitor the amperage under load, beside hooking up a multi-meter to your psu, but it would be nice to check that it's delivering what it's supposed to.

IMO, if you have any doubt in your PSU, run, don't walk, and buy a quality one. Keeping a failing PSU in your comp is asking for massive failure and damage down he road. Also, as a bonus, just buy a big enough PSU and you can easily use it in your next build :)

Comment

The fluctuations on any of the rails should not exceed + or - 5%. As long as the voltage variance is between +5% or -5% of the required, then you're fine.

As for your 0.06 variance, it's fine.

Could you describe your grahics issues?

Also tell us what steps you took in attempting to correct them.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've had this card for a little over a year and its had minor issues, but never anything game breaking.
        This problem started recently after getting a few new games. NWN2 is the one that it happens in consistently -- as in every time I play, usually within 20 minutes. After exiting the game everything is equally screwed (see the picture from my desktop) and I have to restart. On restart everything is OK again.

|TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

Have you tried switching monitors?

Also have you updated your drivers? Or if you updated your drivers, have you tried older drivers?

I know I've gotten some like that before and I found out it was due to new drivers I had installed (and once it was a bad monitor).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Drivers all up to date, even tried a special hotfix version that was supposed to take care of some AGP issues.

As far as monitors, that should have nothing to do with it. If monitors were the problem I'd see graphics problems all the time. These only hit after getting into a game. Thats not a monitor issue --- I have dual Samsung 226bw, drivers are ok too.
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

What did you change or add before this problem starting popping up?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

New games, nothing else. NWN2, Jericho, Bioshock.

I think the video card has some bad ram, but ati says power -- and after seeing the 500w, 600w discrepancy im starting to think the psu might actually be a bit fishy
                |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

The power supply you have is part of their basic line and the number give is max wattage...also noticed not pfc. You could get a simple power supply tester for about $20 and check it. I would call Coolermaster and whoever you bought about this issue because I built a machine with one of those recently and I did not even check out that discrepency.

The power should be enough, but if it is five hundred watts max you might have an issue. I would keep an eye out on slickdeals.net for a good power supply. I got a coolermaster realpower pro 750 for about $60 after rebate.

Comment

I filed a support ticket with cooler master using their online form but I haven't gotten a response or even a confirmation on filing to ticket.
                    |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

Cooler Master isn't a very reputable brand when it comes to using them in demanding machines like a gaming rig.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I thought that was their market?
                        |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

Well, some of their older stuff were labeled as ATX 2.0 (etc.) with 500W but weren't ATX 2.0 and couldn't quite give out 500W on load.

Also if you look at the Unofficial PSU Ranking List, most of Cooler Master's PSUs are in the "Tier 5". They work out fine for basic and non-demanding machines, but usually aren't trusted for gaming rigs or other demanding systems.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

They like to market themselves as like high end gamer PSUs, but they are very budget. They can usually put out a good PSU for just an everyday computer, like one you would give you sister or parents, but not really what we want one for. Like 5 hour marathons of PR and COD4 where heat and stress are real factors.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Even if the issue is with VRAM, you should still replace that PSU. I learned not to use sub-par PSUs the hard way (lost some other parts to Hiper that blew up) and am now a big advocate of buying a decent unit.

*EDIT*

Great deal from Newegg on a 650 Watt Antec in their 24 hour deals.

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...0B-_-Moredeals
                              Last edited by Buckets; 07-15-2008, 03:58 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X