Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Chipset for LGA775 Platform?

Hi Folks..
    Being out the Loop on Computer Hardware of late I was looking at a new LGA775 Board..but seeing the "plethora" (cool word eh?) of choices on Newegg confused the heck out of me. The Last few I have bought have been Nforce Boards, but we are talking a couple of years ago...

I will not be Over clocking this beasty to any real extent (although I will give her a bit of a shot just for fun..no heavy coolers or so though)... I will be using a Gamer video card..meaning On-board video is irrelevant for me... BUT I probably will use the on-board sound... Mostly because I only use a two speaker desk setup.. so I don't need the cool stuff...

This will be for my First VISTA 32bit build... So Any Suggestions on Nvida vs. Intel (amd) would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: What Chipset for LGA775 Platform?

I haven't been up on the newest stuff either but over the past few days I have been getting back in to it and from what I can tell the newest boards are going to be the X38/X48 and the nforce 700 series boards.
    The newest Intel Quads are the Q9xxx series and are 45nm. (personally i'm looking at the Q9300 even though it isnt the most overclockable due to 7.5 multiplier).
    The Intel Duals are the E8xxx with E8400 being the most popular from what I can tell. (it's also uber-overclockable)

Personally I think the X48 boards look very attractive (especially those yummy lookin DFI).
    I hope this helped some although I'm sure someone here knows more about the current tech.

Comment

Thanks for the Info... I got a Free Dell Optiplex with a 3ghz C2D CPU.. so I am going to gut that PC and build something out of the Parts (RAM/CPU) .. The rest is JUNK!
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

unfortunately other than the PCI 2.0 lanes X38/X48 offer no real advantages over a P35 board, unless you like to throw money away.

I'm assuming this is for gaming but how long are you looking to make it last is the real question?

you can pay $130 (or less for a few less features) for a nice P35 board or you can spend 200-300 for an X48 board

here is a nice little article that Tom's put up recently and you can really decide for yourself
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

The Intel boards seem to be the way to go. Apparently, the Nforce boards have some really serious stability and Northbridge overheating issues, especially when using multiple graphics cards. It seems that Intel boards are the way to go for Intel builds and AMD chipsets work best for AMD systems. I'd stay away from the Nforce stuff for the time being.
          sigpic

Comment

Great info Guys ...Thanks!
            And from the Toms Hardware Article I pull this which sends me to the P35 Chipset..

"At the same time, all P45 motherboards required up to 10 W more power than P35 motherboards, on average, and this is independent of the type and efficiency of the voltage regulators used. The new 65 nm PCI Express 2.0 chipset clearly consumes more power than the P35 across the board, which we don’t find convincing when we look at the stagnating performance."

Now I gotta Spend the Dough!!
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

The "stagnating performance" is partly due to the fact that the P45 was just released like a month ago, and the really good BIOS updates are just now getting out.

Just a word of thought on Tom's, a lot of tech forums I read in are starting to talk trash about Tom's, and not really relying on the site for good info any more. I still read the articles, but take them with a grain of salt I guess.

And part of the reason that it consumes more power is because the 2.0 PCI-e can offer the gfx. card more power though the slot, meaning less needs to come from the extra power cable or cables, depending on the gfx. card.

You are right though that the P45 isn't really that big a step up from the p35, but it is a step none the less. If you are building a rig for the long haul, and not something you plan to redo next year or so, then why not spend the extra $25 or so and move up. In particuler when you upgrade to a PCI-e 2.0 GFX card in a couple of years or so, are you going to want to be able to take advantage of that extra throughput?

Also, a lot of the boards have extra cool stuff added like the ASUS boards with the ExpressGate that lets you boot to a tiny OS in about 5 sec. where you can use like internet, IM apps, etc., and can even use that while windows loads in the background.

Here are all the p45 boards on Newegg
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...name=Intel+P45

Just about anything from ASUS or Gigabyte would be very good, and all of those boards should have HD onboard audio.

I would have said maybe MSI brand as well, but just read a bad review on their p45 board this morning because of BIOS problems.
              http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...8336&Itemid=40

If you watch for sales, you can snag a mid-range board for really cheap. Actually last Thursday they had the ASUS P5Q-Pro on sale for $130, the same price as the plain P5Q.

Personally I would not look at the x38 or x48 boards unless you are 100% sure you want to do a crossfire gfx. card setup.

Also, you mention Vista 32, but might want to spend the extra $10 and get the 64. I just talked Acreo Aeneas and DesertFox into it since they both built in the last 2 weeks, and except for some wireless mouse problems they both had (due to Logitech), they are happy with it. That will also let you make the most of the board with the super cheap prices on 4 gigs of RAM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Commenting on my own P45 board. I don't have any problems with it: ASUS P5Q.

Performs well and I've loaded all six USB ports along with a extra onboard header with a total of 8 devices.

The motherboard stays fairly cool at about 35 C with its fanless design. The solid-state polymer capacitors are a plus though. :)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Speak of the devil. This morning Engadget.com updated an story that had been all over the web. Couple weeks ago Tom's Hardware released a review that said pretty much all the talk from the new Solid State Hard Drives (flash hard drives) makers where they claimed they were more energy efficient was completly wrong.

Well, Tom's just published a new update, pretty much tucking their tails between their legs and said after more deep review, they actually are more efficient.

Just posting this because of my statement about Tom's in my post above.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have to agree that Tom's has fallen out of favour with allot of people. I find that http://www.anandtech.com is a very good site though they lack some of the articles covered by Tom's.

Regardless be sure to read more then just one or two sites when doing your research.

I would agree that if your building for long then a year that you may want to consider the pci-e 2.0 boards for the extra juice, bandwidth probably won't be an issue.

Also keep an eye on features like e-sata and cooling. It's worth spending a little more to have solid cooling for your mobo. I didn't pay attention to the connections that came with my mobo and now I don't have e-sata. I don't have a need for it but may in the future.

Comment

I went with a board with e-sata, and got an external MyBook drive with e-sata, but stupid Western Digital didn't include the cable. I will have to buy one on newegg if I can remember next time I make an order.

I also really like Anandtech and have it as an RSS feed. They always have legit reviews, but they often go WAY over my head and dive deep into the tech. Some of their CPU write ups I can just skim to catch bits of pieces to understand about the micro architecture.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                        I went with a board with e-sata, and got an external MyBook drive with e-sata, but stupid Western Digital didn't include the cable. I will have to buy one on newegg if I can remember next time I make an order.

I also really like Anandtech and have it as an RSS feed. They always have legit reviews, but they often go WAY over my head and dive deep into the tech. Some of their CPU write ups I can just skim to catch bits of pieces to understand about the micro architecture.
                        I only read it to sound more geeky/nerdish :row__635:

True that the level of detail can be a bit much, I skim some of their more detailed stuff. The one thing I do like though is that through that detail they can explain some of the oddidties in some benchmarks or compatibility issues etc. They were the first source that I found addressed the issue that the ATi 3870 cards had with Anit Alaising. While everyone else was speculating about drivers fixing the performance hit they actually showed the physical card design that causing the problem and why a driver would never fix the issue. Good stuff to know.

Comment

Hehe, I 'm so glad I decided to check the hardware forum here before getting a new mobo this weekend. I was waiting for the P45 to be launched but when I read the article on Tom's I was doubting to get a P35 nonetheless. Only thing that held me back was the support for PCI-E 2.0 which the P45 offers, comes in handy with the new graka's...

I looked at the X48 but as I will never use Crossfire, it doesn't really have a point because the only big advantage is that you can have both PCI-E x16 slots use 16 lanes in stead of 8 on the P45.

I really wanted to get a Gigabyte mobo but the ExpressGate feature from Asus looks pretty cool and is making me doubt.

Gigabyte 's GA-EP45-DS3R and Asus ' P5Q (Pro) are the ones I 'm thinking about right now.
                          Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

I'd go for the ASUS P5Q and that's probably because I'm running one right now and haven't had much luck with my last GA board. :p

The ExpressGate feature looks to be great on paper (specifically the manual), but I haven't tested it out. Haven't used it yet, but itching to try it out the next time I reformat.

Edited: Well...originally put down the information for the "other" feature.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ghost...before you jump the gun and buy...

Source: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11474

According to that user, if you're looking for Linux pre-installed onto a solid-state memory module on the motherboard itself, you will need to get the P5Q Deluxe edition.

Otherwise, the P5Q and the P5Q Pro requires Linux be installed onto a partition of your hard drive. (Although I was already assuming that.)
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X