Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Athlon64 X2 5000+ Black Edition + 1GB DDR2 800 -- $67 shipped!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon64 X2 5000+ Black Edition + 1GB DDR2 800 -- $67 shipped!

http://bensbargains.net/deal/71525/

igerDirect.com has the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Black Edition Processor with 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 512MB) for $90 - $30 rebate [Exp 7/27] + $7 shipping = $67 shipped after rebate. Here's some info on these Black Edition processors.
    Damnit! I just got this CPU for $72. With no voltage increases and air cooling, I have it running at 3.1GHz without breaking a sweat (around 58C with both cores at full load [primes95]). I haven't really tried pushing past that yet, but I'm sure I can - there's so much flexibility being able to adjust the CPU's [unlocked] multiplier and base-clock.

More on the CPU: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...cker,1708.html

Re: Athlon64 X2 5000+ Black Edition + 1GB DDR2 800 -- $67 shipped!

Nice find. Glad your having success with your CPU.

One question, I thought the safe temps for these chips was around 55 deg. max, No?

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
      Nice find. Glad your having success with your CPU.

One question, I thought the safe temps for these chips was around 55 deg. max, No?
      I hope not! :icon_lol: That seems pretty low, but I better do some homework before I push any more!

Comment

The athlon series looks to be rated at 65C <phew>: http://www.heatsink-guide.com/conten...=maxtemp.shtml

It's also interesting that AMD specifies case temps, while intel puts a thermocouple right on the substrate. (Which is why Intel's can 'withstand' higher temps)

Comment

Hmm I'm not really buying into those being safe, 24hr-7 day a week temps. Those to me look to be max designed temperatures, the threshold before serious damage. I took a quick look over at www.extremeoverclocking.com and couldn't nail down a temperature that was agreed upon as safe. It seemed to be the 50-55 deg. range though.

Sorry I couldn't find you anything more concrete but I would be cautious about those temps until you can back up the information in your link. Good luck Whiskey :)

Comment

Nice, my old xp3000 can only go to around 56 before it starts complaining.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
              Hmm I'm not really buying into those being safe, 24hr-7 day a week temps. Those to me look to be max designed temperatures, the threshold before serious damage. I took a quick look over at www.extremeoverclocking.com and couldn't nail down a temperature that was agreed upon as safe. It seemed to be the 50-55 deg. range though.

Sorry I couldn't find you anything more concrete but I would be cautious about those temps until you can back up the information in your link. Good luck Whiskey :)
              The Windsor 6000+ chips run in the mid 50s at full load so I imagine Whiskey's temps are fine. They would probably make me nervous enough to buy a decent HSF though. I know my 5600+ was getting hot enough that is scared me into buying one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233003
              sigpic

Comment

That sounds pretty cheap.

Although you could scrounge together a Dual-core Celery and 1 GB of RAM, it wouldn't perform as well as that Athlon64 X2 5000+.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X