SenseSurface sticks knobs onto screens, turns virtual controls physical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SenseSurface sticks knobs onto screens, turns virtual controls physical

This looks like some pretty cool tech. Just think about how much fun this would be for a flight sim on like a small 2nd monitor.

SenseSurface sticks knobs onto screens, turns virtual controls physical

They even have a video

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: SenseSurface sticks knobs onto screens, turns virtual controls physical

This might be nice for a kiosk application, including industrial controllers. You'd want a solid piece of glass or plastic in front of the display, or I'd imagine one would see a lot of broken displays from people pulling and levering on the knobs.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Kiosk? All your knobs would walk away...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I figure one would use superglue to lock them to the overlay glass.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Nothing like superglue to melt the plastic on the LCD panel's surface, plus superglue is a wonderful lubricant, ensuring the knobs turn freely and smoothly.

Comment

i see more industry and special apps for this like robot arms programming there movement you could have 1 knob per Axis or in the music industry for fine tuning audio elements or controlling things like trains robots ect. then being about to replace any part at any givin time. or like bamboo said Sims i bet MIlitary places would love tactile feedback on there multimillion dollar airsimulators but without having to pay 50,000 for a custom built computer keyboard that looks like control panel. this guy should make some toggle switches 2 cuase toggle switchs are awesome!
            I will not place claymores in my front yard.
            I will not place claymores in my front yard.

Comment

What's a two-cuase toggle switch? Two-case?

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                I figure one would use superglue to lock them to the overlay glass.
                Then how would you turn them?

I don't really see many applications for this kind of stuff outside of industrial settings where reconfigurable displays may be needed. Even then why would you pay extra to have a knob when a cheaper touch screen would work just as well?
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
                  this guy should make some toggle switches 2 cuase toggle switchs are awesome!
                  This guy?!

http://www.girtonlabs.com/
                  http://girtonlabs.googlepages.com/sensesurface

The knobs are somehow attached to the display surface (probably suction or a special glue) and the top part rotates over the bottom part. I'm not suggesting that you glue the moving part to the stationary part!

Comment

They've been doing something similar to this (without the screen) with cooking ranges for years. If your pot boils over and gets underneath the knobs, no problem. Take 'em off and wipe off the surface. You can also hide the knobs to keep your kids from burning down the house.

Anyhow, its a cool if not really that original idea.
                    sigpic

Comment

There was an expensive keyboard like this, as well. You could attach the keys wherever you wanted on a blank substrate.

Comment

This is AWESOME - I work in digital-audio and engineering, so I can see TONS of uses for this...both as development tools (configurable scope as shown in vid) and as pro-audio applications! Virtual mixing board? Yes please!

Comment

All the techs I know would loose these damn knobs and have to make something out of gum and a pen cap.

There are a lot of hands on things coming to the consumer that look pretty cool. I remember something about the interactive coffee table..

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

That coffee table is the Surface tech from Microsoft, and it is actually already out. Mostly in LosVegas and Cingular/ATT bought a bunch for their stores where people can play with them to see phones and coverage areas.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X