I would like to run 98 and Vista.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I would like to run 98 and Vista.

You may want to look into a boot manager like GRUB.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by sparhawkxx View Post
      Its an old program that uses Dos I think and it can only use windows 98.
      No, you misunderstand.

Install VirtualPC
      Create a new Virtual disk, and install Win98 to it..
      ????
      Profit!

Just like the replies earlier in the thread, of the other programs. If you want to load up Win98 while you're in Vista, just open up VirtualPC and "boot" the Win98 virtual machine. So you have an entire OS running in that window, as it's own entity.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Man this is blowing my mind. Thanks bigtime guys. I need to look into all these suggestions. The Virtualpc seems good and it would be nice if the Vista compatibility would work on this.
        I got a week to setup or get it setup next saturday.

FUN FUN

Comment

Which would be better to use Grub or Lilo?

I heard I might have issues with Virtualpc running an older program that needs x86. Win 98. Or maybe its not x86 that will be the problem. If this doesn't make sense its because I don't know much about what I'm talking about but still want to understand what will be best for the program :(

FUN FUN

Comment

vmware FTW.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
              vmware FTW.
              vmware is something I would consider above VirtualPC, however, for the novice user....VirtualPC is Microsoft software [now], so the way I figure is if it has more of a "Microsoft" feel to it and kind of clicks-in to Windows, it'd be the way to go.

:)
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Most of the Linux distros switched from LILO to GRUB because the upstream development of LILO stopped. It's since been picked up but the damage is done and now most everyone is familiar with GRUB.

Note that boot loaders like these would give Win98 the "raw" hardware, and you'd have no access to a host OS like Vista until you rebooted. Only one OS at a time would be running. With virtualization, one OS runs inside the other, so you always have access to the "outer" OS.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Thanks monkey I'm starting to lean to grub. Last question is since with Virtualpc the other os is running inside of it would that be harder on both os running?

FUN FUN

Comment

Originally posted by sparhawkxx View Post
                    Thanks monkey I'm starting to lean to grub. Last question is since with Virtualpc the other os is running inside of it would that be harder on both os running?
                    surprisingly no. It basically creates a separate environment for the other OS to run. You can choose how much ram it gets and how much HD space for it to use. It works really well in that regard.
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

The other great thing is that you can save the "guest" OS (in your case 98) like hibernating a laptop, so you don't always have to suffer the time for the boot cycle when you need it. You just save its state and turn it off.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your input. I guess I will try the Virtualpc. I guess I didn't need that external hardrive I bought but I will use it if this works like I want it anyway :) Again thanks alot and until next time WTH are you doing in here?!?! GO GET ON A TG SERVER!! :)

FUN FUN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X