Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help on buying a AGP graphic card, must be realy good !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help on buying a AGP graphic card, must be realy good !

yea the title says it all..
    the avatar is not me, its my favorite singer.

Re: need help on buying a AGP graphic card, must be realy good !

Well, what computer do you have? Which mainboard do you use? Without specs, we can't tell you much (except that if you want to have one of the best cards, go for the 8800/9800, without knowing if it would fit your PC though).

Edit: Ew, AGP...guess I missed it.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 07-19-2008, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Nathrael, I don't think they make an 8800/9800 AGP, yet. And if they did, I would think the throughput would be really choked by the AGP slot.

This is the best help I can offer
      http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ds,1965-5.html

That lists the best AGP cards for the money, and was just posted July 7th.

I was stuck with AGP as well as couple other guys here till recently, and considering they want $160 for a card that is that slow, compared to a card like the new 4850 that is also $160, might just be time to bite the bullet and spend $500 or more on a major upgrade. Buying that AGP card is kind of like tossing your money away.

You might also consider buying from e-bay. I did that for my last AGP card because of the reason above, and I got a high end card at the time for about half the price. It still had everything sealed in the box, and you couldn't even tell it had been opened. Just made sure to go with someone who had a near perfect feedback and a 100% money back guarantee.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Barker -- I'm in a similar position, if you've noticed my recent posts.

Unless you really cant afford it, you're probably best served by building a new system.
        If you spend 160 bucks on an AGP card you will be getting a small fraction of the performance available to a similarly priced PCI X card on a newer mobo/proc and you will still probably need a brand new build within 1 year. You're better served stepping up to this generation (although in a few months this generation will be old, as is always the case)

Assuming you can carry over your tower, power supply, optical drives, and hard drives all you need is a new mobo, proc, and some ram -- and the new video card, of course. Depending on what you get your current DDR2 may carry over (assuming you have DDR2)

I'd suggest you focus on getting a high quality mobo that way you can rely on for future upgrades to other components. Intel chips are about to decline in price making a very good system relative to your current set up possible for about 600 bucks or less with your carry over parts.
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I am selling a 7600 GS OC that runs very well. Check the buy/sell/trade forums.

- -

Comment

It's probably just best to replace your motherboard, CPU, RAM, and graphics all together (if you can afford it).

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago where my 7600GS was not enough for most of today's games.

The higher end AGP cards from nVidia costs several hundred dollars (ex. 7800 GS KO).

ATI offers the HD2400s at around $160 or so, but driver support is lacking stability. Crashes seem to be a common occurance for AGP users.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

well here it is, im stumped in so many ways, i wanna buy a new gaming laptop. but i cant because there all in Vista, I HATE VISTA, way to darn needy for my likings, and i was just wanting to fix up my old computer that has XP Pro 3rd edition...

Comment

oh and my last graphics card was a ATI Raedon 9700 TX 128 Mb it was realy good, i was able to play bf2 on all high... till the fan blades on it gave out, and started flying around my computer(still finding some today) lol, its a Dell computer, my dad said the slot is for a AGP 4/8x slot size, my ram right now is 1024 i think, well atleast i know it gots a gig of ram, i know thats small, but this comp kicked major but back in 01-02

Comment

Well the 9700 XT was a top of the line card back 6-7 years ago. I'm surprised it managed to play BF2 on high settings.

If you decide to go for a gaming laptop, you can always load a copy of XP Pro onto it instead of using Vista if you don't like Vista so much.

This is provided that you have a OEM/Retail version of XP Pro. The one included on the Dell Backup CDs do not work as standalone copies do.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by j.barker View Post
                    this comp kicked major but back in 01-02
                    I bet it did!

But here we go with the Vista thing again. What computers have you tried Vista on? Please tell me you didn't try it on the one you just mentioned above.

Yes, it is more resource intensive, but considering how cheap the RAM is right now to give Vista way more than it wants, you would have so much better experience with it. And yes, as we have said here many times, IT DOES USE A LOT OF MEMORY AT IDLE!

BUT......... it is also very good at letting that memory go when it is needed for other apps, like games. What is the point of having idle memory just sitting there not being used? If I paid for the memory, I want it to be used to make my computer experience lightning fast all the time, not just when I game. And Vista does that. I double click on my Firefox icon, and before I blink it is up. I had a gig of ram in my old XP with AGP computer, and it never did that for me. So while using XP my computer idled at 300mb usage, and when I used other programs, it still kept all the crap in memory (unless you waste extra time using even more programs to free memory up). Vista does this on its own.
                    But considering you can get 4 gigs of top of the line name brand RAM for $70, why not just give Vista more RAM than it knows what to do with.

As for the laptop, I just bought the wife a new Vista 64 laptop with 4 gigs of RAM, and I didn't even pay attention to what CPU it had, or built in GPU, because it isn't for gaming. But in everyday usage, weather it is Microsoft Office or browsing it is just as fast as my gaming rig. And SOOOOO much better than my XP. The extra little things Vista has, like the sidebar and I hate to say it, new version of Freecell and Mahjong Tiles, is amazing.

And I am sure any other little annouances you have been bothered by about Vista can be tweaked if you take a min to look around. I even just posted an article about doing just that yesterday.

Top 10 Computer Annoyances and How to Fix Them

Look at #6.

As for having to buy a Laptop with Nvidia GPU, yeah, that does kind of suck, but there are other options.
                    My squad mate |TG-X| Grounded Pilot just opened my eyes up night before last to something about laptops I never knew, and may be a huge suprise to many others as well:
                    Who Really Makes Laptops and What is behind the name of a laptop?

That company has some of the best prices I have ever seen on gaming laptops, like half the price of anything from Alienware, for pretty much the same thing. And he said the coustomer service is through the roof, way beyond anything any major label will offer.
                    http://www.xoticpc.com/why-xotic-pc-ip-2.html

Crazy part is they have a bunch of laptops with user upgradable GPUs, including ones like this
                    http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8660-...wconfigure=yes
                    That you can get with an ATI 3870. So if you just can't stand Nvidia there ya go. That is less than I paid to build my desktop, and with the CPUs they can put in, like Intel Quads and other nice things like the high rez monitor, it would be about the same in gaming benchmarks.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

but every were i go, it says XP unavailable for sell buy vista, and the reason i dont want vista is because my moms laptop, and my uncles laptop both have vista, and there little needy things that annoy me, theres a question for everything thing i do, it always ask am i sure i want this or that, and sometimes when a program IS loaded in it, it says it cant be found, vista has to many bugs in it right now for me to consider vista, and how can i load XP on a VISTA computer? xp is scarce were i live, cant find it anywere...

Comment

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/co....asp?id=158317
                        this is a computer im looking at...

Comment

You can turn that annoying Vista safety prompt off in less than 10 sec. with a couple mouse clicks. Believe it or not, they were trying to do a good think to help keep the clueless general public form getting wacked by bad guys. They just tried a little too hard.

First thing I did when I built my computer as well as charged up the new laptop is turn that off. So simple to do.

What is another annoyance with Vista?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Also, I just took some time and looked at the link to the computer, and yeah, that would kick some major butt, but pricing it out at newegg if you were to put it together yourself, it would cost $1369, and that is a bit high even. I just went with average prices, not looking at things with rebates. Even if you paid a local computer shop to do the actual build for you, that would only be $50-$100 depending on the shop.

Just a suggestion, but most guys here will tell you with desktops, building your own is really pretty easy, and a whole lot CHEAPER. :D

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

everything that has vista in the name annoys me, vista is to needy wants to much, lol i make 7.25 an hour, and i barely get 20 hours a week, so i dont make much money..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X