B-day build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-day build

I somehow managed to get a large sum of money from my family, and with this and the savings i have right now, i can finally replace my 4 year old computer. I searched the web and found the parts i want. Any recomendations.

Mobo/Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Size=10&page=1

Managed to find a combo deal with a motherboard that i like. Can't decide on either a 8800 GT or 9600GT.

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006 750W

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115028

I've decided dual core since i don't do much multitasking and i don't have much of a need for 4 cores yet.

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145034

DDR2 800 standard for the board

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136073

Optical Drives: Any suggestions.

OS: Probably Windows Vista Home Premium. Im not sure whether to get 64 or 32 bit though.

The things i'm recycling from my old build is an external DVD drive, keyboard/mouse, and LCD screen.

My budget is around $1000 dollars. Any suggestions/improvements.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: B-day build

I have a big suggestion on the CPU
    Intel e8400:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037
    Hands down better than the E6850 linked to above. Runs cooler, on less power, is faster (not in speed, but in actual benchmarks) and is cheaper. It is actually supposed to drop in price this week in an official Intel price cut.

The link you gave for the motherboard/gfx card combo does't show me any combo like that. And personally I would do my best to talk you out of a 680i motherboard. Just WAY too many forums I have read about people having all kinds of compatibility problems and bad sound both from the onboard and very bad problems from after market sound cards like Sound Blaster. If you are buying this board because you are absolutly sure in the future you are going to do SLI, you are going to want to spend the money and get a 780i. I think the reviewer rating that motherboard you linked to says it perfectly "Nvidia 680i is Like Gambling In Las Vegas". I am not going to gamble on a $200 motherboard.
    A p35 or p45 board is still less likely to give you problems.

PSU and HDD drive are good ones. RAM, I would spend the extra $40 or so and just get a 2x2gig kit for 4 gigs. Less of a potential problem later when you decide to get more ram and might have a compatibility problem because you can't find the exact stuff you already have. Any of these would be a VERY good option. Once you pick your motherboard we can look at which ones are already tested on your board to work:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&Order=RATING

And Vista 64 is the future. Lot of us using it here. If you have any problems or little things you can't figure out, always someone to help. I would get it now so in a couple years you aren't thinking about buying Vista again to upgrade.

For optical drives, just search for a SATA one that gets good reviews. It should cost between $30-$40. That way it is just plug and play and you don't have to be dealing with the fat gray ribbon cables and the stupid little jumper pins on the back of the drive. And if you are like me and hate to constantly swap disks out, get an extra internal DVD-ROM drive for $18 or so.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Bamboo, as per usual, covered the main points. I will second the recomendation for his motherboards, 2x2gb ram and 64 bit OS.

I would seriously consider a different video card at this time. The ATI 4850 beats either of those cards and is not much more money. If you want SLI or to stay with nVidia I would look at the 9800GTX+ (note the "+" sign, its a beefed up version).

Comment

I'll play devil's advocate this round. ;)

Motherboard

If you want to stick with the 680i motherboard, it's best to skip the onboard sound and go with a dedicated sound card. nForce boards have always been a bit finicky with their onboard audio.

I have the same problem Bamboo has. Your mobo/gfx combo link isn't working Nerd.

CPU

Again I'm going to second Bamboo on choosing the E8400 over the E6850. Several tech sites (Anactech, OC Club, Tom's Hardware) have reviewed both CPUs and have done extensive comparisons of the two. The E8400 performs anywhere from 3% to as much as 20% faster than the E6850.

I also own the E8400 (stock cooler), so I can atest to the lower temperatures due to the 45nm manufacturing process. Overall CPU temperature is about 40 C (idle) and about 48/50 C (load).

RAM, PSU, HDD, and OS

Same as Bamboo's opinion

Optical Drives

Again, SATA is the way to go.

When I started looking at building my system 2 years ago, I already had decided to go SATA for two reasons: 1) they don't impede airflow as much as IDE ribbon cables and 2) I already saw a movement back then from IDE to SATA interface. SATA also offers faster speeds not possible with IDE.

Lightscribe is "up in the air". Right now the disks costs about $0.50 a piece (CDs and DVDs), so they're not very worth it. On the other hand, a year or two down the road they may become just as cheap as regular CDs/DVDs (possibly due to Blu-Ray cheapening).

Either way, a Lightscribe drive is usually only $1-2 dollars more than non-Lightsribe drives. It's a plus to have in the event the media becomes cheaper. ;)

GFX

Go with the 8800GT. Several tech sites (all the popular ones) say that the 8800GT performs about 10%-20% better than the 9600GT.

The way I tend to think about is this: the 9600GT is somewhere between that of a 8800GS and a 8800GT. The pricing of the card also confirms that it may not be as good as the 8800GT.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

oooohhhhh..................devil's advocate. I like that. :D

I say listen to Longbow though. Most of the reviews of the 4850, even while stock, don't even show the 8800GT on the comparison, and instead put it up against the 9800GTX. So it would be much faster than the 8800GT, for the same price.

Look around and you can find really good combo deals just like the one you were considering, but with the 4850. So that way you could save another $30 or so, bringing the gfx card price down to like $140 after rebates.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

In response to the combo deals wacking up, it changed overnight. Sorry about that.

I've looked at the 780i boards: this one i'm interested in. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188024

I've looked at the e8400 before but saw that it had compatibly problems with the 680i. Since i'm gonna get a 780i, i stick with what you told me.

The graphics card on the other hand, i'm not running the most powerful games on the market and i just want something that will hold me over till i get some more cash flow within a half year or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151154 this will serve my need for a disk drive. I want to know where i can find a website or place where can get a copy for a relatively cheap price.

I've been looking into 64-bit vista home premium, but the vista is already making me nervous, i forgot that i have people here who knows how to use it.

I have a friend who has a bunch of computer cases laying around his house. I'll just get on from him if needed.
            Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

I'd really stay away from Nforce chipsets all together. Intel's chipsets are so much better it isn't even funny. If you do get the 780i, be prepared to fins some sort of aftermarket solution to keep the Northbridge cool if you ever decide to run SLI.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                I'd really stay away from Nforce chipsets all together. Intel's chipsets are so much better it isn't even funny. If you do get the 780i, be prepared to fins some sort of aftermarket solution to keep the Northbridge cool if you ever decide to run SLI.
                I've replaced the fan on the northbridge of my current motherboard, so i can just get on of those if it's necessary. Anyone here with an nforce board have any solutions to overheating.
                |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Ok revised build

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136073

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188024

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037

Optical: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151154

GPU: Still up for grabs, i don't want any Radeon cards. I need to keep prices down in order to afford vista.

RAM: Not sure what is compatible.

Anyone here know a good place to buy an OS such as 64-bit Windows Vista Home.
                  |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

For gfx card, if you don't like radeon, maybe go for a 9800GTX or 9600GT (or 8800GT...they are pretty much on par) ? It'll cost from $150 to $200 depending on which you get.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies,
                    as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

-Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

Comment

For ram you can check the manufacturer site to see what they have tested with the mobo, BUT a more productive use of your time will be to research what ram is not compatible. Generally incompatibilities are only present in the first revision or couple of bios versions of a board.

That motherboard seems more than a bit unnecessary considering the equipment you have listed as being used with it.

Video card is going to depend on what you are looking for. Certain amount of performance? Best performance for the dollar? I suggest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130332

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121251 (this one comes pre over clocked if you aren't up to doing it yourself, as well as some game)

Don't let the names fool you they use the exact same chip and card just renamed. Keep in mind this is my suggestion for the best value. If you don't like turning down the settings on your games you may want to pay a little more.
                      Last edited by Namebot; 07-22-2008, 12:39 AM.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I'll get the 8800GT, it will serve my rig until i get some more cash for a better card.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Namebot, I'm sorry but those cards are horrible. The GS is one of the weakest cards on the market, and stores can't get rid of them, hense the renaming.

With prices as cheap as they are, 8800GT is about as low as you should go.
                          Newegg even has the superclock one for $120 after rebate and the Promo code I just got in my e-mail from newegg = EMCAHCCBH
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L0E-_-14130319

But the 9800GTX and the 4850, both for under $200, would make you happier longer with higher FPS. Espically in FarCry 2 and Stalker and other games out in the next year.
                          The 8800GT will soon be a year old.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Here is what I have and I am well pleased.

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
                            Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
                            Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
                            DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
                            Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
                            Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
                            CPU: E8400
                            Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
                            Hard Drive: 500G
                            Case: Antec P182
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              But the 9800GTX and the 4850, both for under $200, would make you happier longer with higher FPS. Espically in FarCry 2 and Stalker and other games out in the next year.
                              The 8800GT will soon be a year old.
                              QFT, why spend $120-$150 now and then that much or more in 6 months when you can spen $190 now on a card that will last over a year?

And Kin I believe that the 8800GTS 512mb is very similar in performance to the 9800GTX, no?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X