X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black screen of no signal death!

PC Specs:

AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    3GB RAM, mixed speeds (1 matched pair of 512MB, 1 matched pair of 1GB)
    nVidia Geforce 7900 GT/GTO 256MB
    Corsair 450w PSU
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4
    Acer Motherboard with 1 PCI-e 8x slot for graphics card
    Windows XP Pro

Okay, this problem has been bugging me for months now and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what is causing it.

Occasionally, when playing Counterstrike Source, my computer will freeze and the last half-second or so of audio will loop indefinitely. Following this the monitor either keeps the last image sent to it, goes completely black, or displays the no signal message.

Another fault I find has similar circumstances is that very occasionally, youtube.com triggers my pc to squeak at me (through the soundcard, not the onboard speaker) and the screen goes black.

In each case, the fans continue to run as power is not cut-off.
    • I have considered that this might be a problem with my RAM, but when using only the original RAM provided with the machine by Acer the problem persists.
    • I have also considered that the graphics card may be overheating. I currently run the machine with the side of the case open and have tried it with an additional fan aimed at the GPU. I still had problems with this setup.
    • 2 months ago I formatted the PC incase of a software conflict and this did not help the situation at all.

Any help on this will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks. :row__593:
    Last edited by 1er; 07-22-2008, 06:23 AM. Reason: Added PC Specs to the post.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Re: Black screen of no signal death!

You'll have to run some more tests to figure out the problem.

- Try running with only the RAM that you've added, take out the original RAM.
    - Try running without the soundcard (you never know).
    - If you can try a different sound card, do so.
    - Check the power connections to each device, maybe something got loose.

Have you added anything else since you got the computer? It's possible that the 450W can't handle any extra components you may have added. 450W might not be enough. You can test this by putting in a high watt PSU. If you can't get another PSU, I think you can underclock and lower the voltage on your CPU so you'll be drawing less power. Although, if you're experiencing the problem while youTubing then it might be something else.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Now that you remind me, I've tried it with the new RAM also. I will run memcheck or whatever it's called from a linux cd just to be safe.

I will also check the power connections. On that note, the 450w is an upgrade from the original 300w PSU and could easily handle even more components than I already have.

I'm also thinking this could have something to do with the power to my Hard Drive? A friend of mine has his pc reset all the time because his IDE cable is damaged. I will check out these possibilities when I get home.

Thanks.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

I have the same problem 1er with the black screen of death when playing Counter Strike (sometimes, but more rarely on TF2 too). I haven't found a solution for it. I'd advice you to go to valve support page and search for the black screen with looping sound bug if it'll help you. It didnt for me but it might help you.

How I fix it: Every time I launch CSS (well every time I remember) I'll ctrl+alt+del to get the Task manager, and then click on the applications menu. Then I'll just close it down. Wehn I get the black screen of death I'll ctrl+alt+del and press Tab twice and then press enter, pless left keyboard and press enter and it should stop the program (as you cannot see the task manager in the background because of the black screen of death and no other close program shortcut works orther than restarting the PC which sucks then I usually add another sentence here without using dot or comma to make this whole sentence ankwardly long and tedius to read.)

Comment

Thanks Kebab, I'll write that down and try it out next time it happens :)

P.S. When you say applications menu, do you mean the steam games list thingy?

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

No no no, on task manager there's one tab called Applications.

Comment

How hot is your video card running? Is it hot to touch? Do you hear any fans rev' up as the black screen appears? Sounds like classic overheating, although you really should not have problems with that card, especially open cased.

I would imagine 450W should be plenty for that setup.

I have no thoughts on the YT part of things.

Comment

Try updateing the audiodrivers and netcard drivers, lot of the onboard stuff can mess up your machine under hevay load if it has the wrong drivers. Some of it take up CPU resources and if the driver is wrong it can take to much.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Going off of your problem description, there's two likely hardware problems:

1. Your RAM.

2. Your graphics card.

Going off of what is happening when your problem occurs, it sounds like your graphics card is overheating after a long game session and thus causing a total system freeze.

1er, Have you tried running cold air conditioning in the room along with a regular table top fan aimed at the open-side of your computer case?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

1. The graphics card emitts heat as is usual, but isnt hot to touch.

2. No Air conditioning in my house (As with most UK homes)

3. It's near impossible to predict when the error will occur, happens most frequently with the TG CSS map cs_siege_tg.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by 1er View Post
                      3. It's near impossible to predict when the error will occur, happens most frequently with the TG CSS map cs_siege_tg.
                      Sound like the problem in the olden days, with the ecco effect in the garage. That had to do with sound hardware acceleration and EAX, but Source doe not use eighther of these.

I strongly suggest you make sure your soundcard drivers are newest verison and if so try an older verison.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Ahaaa. I really hope this is the solution! Thanks for the tip. I will turn off the hardware acceleration and EAX in CSS, I'm pretty sure it's turned on.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

All of the above are good suggestions. You may want to update your video card drivers as well.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll update with news of success or failure!

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                              All of the above are good suggestions. You may want to update your video card drivers as well.
                              Or roll back. When I had my EVGA 7900GT, it had problems with nVidia drivers after a certain version. It caused a lot of artifacts that went away with older drivers.

Another possibility is the graphics card has defective memory. Run some stress tests to see if it breaks. Although, it might be something else if you're experiencing the problem when watching youTube videos.

Post back with more results. Definitely try taking out the sound card physically (not just turning off EAX) as you didn't mention if you tried that.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X