I'm so not in hardware anymore that i'm requiring your advice

a fews questions :

1) DDR2 vs DDR3

2) is 1000 watt overpowered for 2 videocard

3) how good is the intel p45 chipset

4) what do you think about crossfire

The budget is about 2000$

PowerSupply :

Corsair HX1000W CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX 20/24PIN ATX 80A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 14 *IR-$20*

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28797

Price 244 $

processor :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 12MB Retail Box

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27787

price 349$

ram :
    OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28786

price : 99x2=200$

or

OCZ Platinum OCZ3P16004GK 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 7-7-7-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

price : 269 $

mobo :

ASUS P5Q Deluxe ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA 1394 Motherboard

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...S&promoid=1046

200$

or

ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA775 P45 ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA RAID GBLAN 1394 Motherboard

price : 279 $

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS

hardrive :

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 640GB 3.5IN SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive OEM *5YR MFR Warranty*

99X2= 200$

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...4&promoid=1046

videocard :

HIS Radeon HD 4870 750MHZ 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=31085

price 295 x 2 = 590 $

Case :
    Antec Twelve Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 1200 ATX 12 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio eSATA

price 164$

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...3&promoid=1046

Drive : lg dvd writer 20$

the computer will be bought from www.ncix.com if you need reference.

A big thanks for your help i'm pretty confuse about current technologie

Re: Help required to buy a new pc

1) DDR2, some reason you aren't going for one of the cheaper sets?

2)Most likely unless you are getting 2 dual gpu cards or have a lot of other components in your case.

3)some articles suggest it is only some what better than the P35. It does offer some features not available to the previous generation chipset.

4)Crossfire/SLI is a good way to get performance beyond what is available from a single card setup. Reasons you might need it is if you have a very high resolution screen or if a single card is not enough to run a game at acceptable rate.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

1) If you're buying within the next 6-9 months, go with DDR2. DDR3 is not popular or cost effective enough right now to throw money at.

2) 1000W PSUs are overkill for a 2 card setup. Unless you plan on running a very high-end CAD workstation graphics card with a large RAID setup and code/video compilations that take days to weeks to complete, you won't really have a need for that much power.

3) The P45 chipset provides 2 things mainly: DDR3 support (on some boards) and PCI-Express 2.0 x16 full support.

4) Honestly I don't think it's a worthy investment. Most gamers on here ask about SLI and Crossfire a lot. Most of them do not plan on running resolutions in excess of 1920 x 1280 with multi-displays and 16X - 32X AA and AS turned on while gaming.

You're better off spending money on a 4870 now and then a year to two later upgrading to the next best single card solution.

All the rest of your part choices are fine.

As for your motherboard, either board is very nice. Bamboo I believe has the P5Q Deluxe and he'll tell you how much he loves that thing. I (with some urging from Bam) have the P5Q and I love my board as well.

The Maximus II is probably the 2nd/3rd highest end board ASUS has out right now aimed at very hardcore computer enthusiasts and overclockers.

A lot of people apparently love the board (or just love that it costs so much to own).

I think the layout could use some work. If you 2-way SLI, you'll end up loosing a PCI port. You'll also probably not want to put a PCI-E x1 card into the x1 slot between the PCI-E slots. That leaves you with 1 free PCI port with a 2-way SLI set up, which may not work for some.

The heatsink that goes from the northbridge to the southbridge isn't something I would rave over. I still think two separate heatsinks are best. Metal conduts heat pretty well, so having heat travel from one chip to the next doesn't seem to make much sense.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I read on anandtech that two 4870 take up to 450 watt by themself ! lol I was quite surprise by that. So I'm kinda hesitant of what type of powersupply I should get.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=22

Comment

The PSU is very important in any gaming rig. Second Corsair makes some really good ones. The 1000w one may be a bit much but you will never be sorry if you buy to big of a PSU, the inverse though can hurt you. If you are for sure not going to go with a dual card setup at some point then a Corsair 620HX would be a good choice.

Here is another PSU from PC power and Cooling, another top end company, that is 750w and should do the trick, for less coin.

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.p...d=0#msg1706849

If you are not going to be playing at a resolution above 1680x1050 then crossfire may be overkill, for now. However down the road as prices fall grabbing a second one may be a good choice. Sure everyone always says that route is not smart but I think we may be at a point now where this may no longer be true. The price of two 4870's, spread out over a year may provide outstanding performance for decent money.

If you do however want to go with a big powerfull set up now then I would advise waiting a few weeks and grabbing a 4870 X2 as it will be a better option then two 4870's possibly? (less space, less driver hassle)

DDR2 vs DDR3 tough call. If the price is right then go for DDR3 just don't expect any huge performance gains. The DDR2 you have selected is a good deal and should keep you very happy. Be warned though that you should choose a motherboard first then find a set of ram that is known to work with it. Also be sure that filling all four ram slots (i.e. 4x2GB) will not cause any headaches for you?

Go for a P45 board or an X38 or X48. No they aren't any faster but they support PCI-E 2.0. No you don't need the bandwidth of 2.0 but you may need the power supplied through the slot to run newer cards?

Case is a solid choice. If however your serious about going with a dual card set up you may also want to look at the CoolerMaster Cosmos. Its a B I G case but it will give you lots of room to work with. Almost the same price.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...e=COOLERMASTER

Optical drive I would suggest grabbing two, nice to have for any games recuiring the CD be left in.

Hardrives look good. Some people perfer a smaller hard drive for the OS and programs only and then a larger one(s) for everything else. That way you can keep the small one tidy and defraged quickly and help load times etc.

Also on a final note be sure to check out www.directcanada.com It is a sister company to NCIX but has even better prices and is based in BC, only one tax :row__631:

Comment

Edit: LongBow posted while I was doing my writeup, (notice the times?) but he pretty much said my same thoughts. :D

Bone, that rig is pretty much overkill, depending on what monitor you have and what rez you play at. You could even cut back some and have enough to buy a new 24" monitor.

I think you should hold out about 2 weeks and see what the final story is on the 4870 X2 before you decide to go with 2 plain 4870s. Here are some very early previews with beta drivers, so scores can only go up from here:
            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ml#post1036660

The powersupply is a bit overkill. If you were going with 2 of the soon to be released 4870 X2 dual gpu cards, then yeah, that would work, as they may need up to 400 watts each. But that is just too much. That would be like having 4 of the 4870 cards you are looking at in Crossfire.

I would say an very good quality 750+ watt PSU would do you fine. The NCIX website isn't really set up very well for comparing things, so here is a list from Newegg for you to look through, read some of the people's reviews, and then search tech sites for hardcore reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&Order=RATING

That is sorted to show between 700 and 1000 watts, the top name brand PSU makers, and you may need to click the little drop down sort by selector near the top to sort them by best rating. Also look for how many 12v rails it has, how many PCI-E connectors it has (and I suggest you try and get one that has 2X 8-pin cables, just to be on the safe side so the PSU can really last you for the future). Once you pick a couple good choices, then look them up on NCIX. If you need help choosing, let us know and we can dig back though them (PSU is actually a very important decision and can affect future upgrades).

Motherboards are good options, but it would depend on if you are sure you are going to go Crossfire. If you are, you should just look at the x48 boards. They are going to be around $250 or so for a good one, but that would give you 2 full 16x PCI-e slots. I am not pushing for this, because as someone said above, I would also rather have just one good powerful GPU to deal with, both for lower heat and less power needs, as well as dealing with some games not supporting it right, or buying a game and then waiting for new drivers that might be a month away to get it to actually work (SLI can be the same way, not just Crossfire, just look at the snafu that was Crysis SLI the first few weeks).

Memory is a decent choice, but I really don't think you need 8 gigs right now (you said 2 kits of 2X2gig right?) You would be more than happy with 4 gigs. I have actually tried my best to get my rig to use 4 gigs, and the most I can push it to is like 3.3-3.4 gigs of usage. And that was with every program running I could open, and then playing Crysis on HIGH on top of that. I would also look at Corsair Dominator ram as well, as they always post good results in reviews, usually coming out on top. This would be a great choice.
            http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=CORSAIR
            I am thinking about buying just that fan itself for mine, as it runs about $20. You would need to take into account your motherboard's layout and what CPU cooler to go with before choosing that one, but you can also get just the RAM from that kit for probably a couple dollars cheaper.

I would only say go for DDR3 if you are REALLY good on money right now, because it may be easier to upgrade in the future. But you would be happy with the DDR2 for a long while. And the $200 or so saved is about half the price of a 24" monitor.

The case is ok, just read reveiws about it and learn what you can. I have heard that it is a huge case, but does have good air flow. And try and learn if you can turn off the lights if you ever want to (and how hard it is to do so). It may get annoying at some time in the future.

So pretty much you are going to have to make the decision about Crossfire, whether to wait for the 4870 X2 to release, and then from that make decisions about motherboards and what PSU you want.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Edit: Grrr...Bam beat me.

NOTE: PC Power and Cooling was obtained by OCZ Technology a few months back. PC P&C is considered a division of OCZ now but their products still retain the PC P&C labeling and brand name.

2nd NOTE: All of Corsair's PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic, Inc. Seeing how Seasonic is the leader in PSUs for reliability and solid stability, you'll be getting a very nice PSU.

thebonecollector,
              Originally posted by Anandtech
              These numbers are peak power draw experienced over multiple runs of 3dmark vantage's third feature test (pixel shaders).
              That's the important part to note. It's peak power draw. You'll almost never end up at peak power consumption on your card. Just like how you'd be hard pressed to have every component in your system drawing power at peak at the same time.

Also you might not want your card drawing at peak power for lengthy periods. If it strains your hardware too much...
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Alright thanks guys for the quality input , that pc is for a friend of mine , he will be doing a lot of work on it , adobe master collection , cartoon editing 3dmax stuff , he want to have enough ram to run a few togetter that's why he wants so much ram.

I'm considering telling him to get ASUS Rampage Formula X48 ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 CrossFire SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ustomerReviews

around 325$

insted of the maximus

as of the videocard he will probably be running 2 23 inche screen. But it doesn't seems he wants to wait any longer.

As for the psu I guess a 850 watt could be quite enough but I will see what comes in sales i guess :P , the number are not that decent atm , being short on power would be the worst thing ever.

As for the case I have a nine hundren and he really loved the look of it but with all his gear i think the twelve will be a better choice

Comment

If your budget is around $2k, I would suggest using about $1-$1.25k to build your machine now and stick the other $.75-1k in a savings account for upgrades down the road in 2 or 3 years. This is a much more cost effective way of keeping your computer up to date for a longer duration than spending your whole budget all at once. For instance, it's better to buy a single good video card now, which, say, lasts you 2 years before it becomes outdated, and then buy another single good video card 2 years from now, which, say lasts another 2 years, instead of buying two crossfire video cards now, which will last you 3.5-4 years before you have to upgrade.

Comment

I totaly agree with you but this aint my computer and the guys doesnt want to upgrade down the road even if i told him all the advantage.

Comment

Ah, ok. Oh well.

Comment

Well then good luck. I have yet to see a computer stay in the sweet spot for several years, regardless of the parts purchased. If your friend doesn't want to upgrade then thats a shame. I wish I had more money to spend on a lower performance machine :icon19: Upgrading is easy and cheaper in the long run. Tell him that if he had purchased and 8800GTX a year and a half ago it would have cost him $400 approx. You can buy a 4850 currently for $190 and it will perform the same or better. You could buy two of them for slightly less then the GTX and have a system that would destrory even Crysis. So if he feels that he will only be playing games made in 2008 for the next few years go for it.

Seriously though that motherboard is overkill. I would shave $100 off that and put it into the video card(s) if he is running dual monitors. Or as Sordavie and Bamboo pointed out, trim some costs and save the money for down the road. Good luck :)

Comment

Actually, a year and a half ago the 8800GTX would have been selling for $600. They had the same opening price structure as the tried for the 260 and 280, until ATI came in recently and slapped them with a good wake up call.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

PSU: Though you may be overspending for your current needs, the comp will only pull the wattage it needs, soooo you have lots of play room. In addition, *if a power supply is rated for high watt load and you never use it, you'll(in my experience) find that it will last longer than the 600w your running at 90percent load constantly.*

*oppinion based on my own experience only, not implying its a statistical fact.
                            Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                            America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
                            Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

It's actually somewhat true. Either way though, the caps inside the PSU will degrade over time (unless they're the newer solid-state ones). Essentially they start to hold less and less power with more and more prolonged use.

I would actually check the reviews and specs on the rated and tested loads on those high-end PSUs before actually throwing down money on one. Some brands have high-output PSUs that can't actually handle that the max load for extended periods of time.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X