I need a new laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new laptop

For those of you that dont know a while ago (Jan) my MB on my laptop stopped working. Got a new MB but then other problems started happening. Ive been having a very fun time working with the manufacturer. So I need to get a new laptop to work on while I send that other one in. Basically all I need from it is.

Watching dvds
    Web surfing
    Built in cam if possible
    And able to run some of my games like BF2: PR, R6: Vegas, TF2 and Portal

Id like to find one around the $500-$650 range. Id prefer to get one I could just pick up at a store.

Ive been looking around a little but to be honest I dont know what to buy with the vista ones.

IDK how much more I can take. I think Ive gone through almost every step of gaming withdrawals. :(
    |TG|Gabriel87
    Favorite quotes and sayings:

Teacher, Tommy you got a fairy godmother.
    Tommy, No, but we got an uncle we keep a close eye on.

*If anyone knows or has seen Markopilot please let him know that his gunner misses him and would like to talk to him agian. He knows me by Gabriel87.

Re: I need a new laptop

Check walmart. Seriously. That's where I got my dell. PRetty cheap. Not sure about it's graphics card ability. But dou core, 3 megs ram, etc...

Paid $600 for one that was $800 elsewhere.

I've only played morrowind on it.

Additionally, do you want NEW or refurbished? Sometimes refurbished lets you get more for less. But I wouldn't do it unless it was done by the manufacturer, instead of just some guy who "refurbished" it.
    Last edited by Skylark; 07-23-2008, 02:14 AM.
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

You really should have posted this in the tech forum if you wanted more help from folks.:D

I just bought my wife a new laptop, and it is great, and does everything you mentioned well except play games. The reason is it doesn't have a dedicated GPU, just intigrated. For the price you listed, you are going to have very little luck finding a laptop with a dedicated GPU.

I did a lot of researching before buying, and with the constant reminding from the wife that it was for her, and not for me for gaming, we went with a very good non-gaming one and it was $799 on sale. But in all that research I came across a lot of good mid range gaming laptops, and one of the best is this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1205537513321

It isn't an Alienware or something, but it is good and should be able to muster the games you mentioned.

Here is a really good article from anandtech on the subject:
      http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3273

That reviews pretty much the 17" model of the one I linked above (which bestbuy also sells, and you can find it on sale for like $1100.)
      Here is the 17" version, right now it is not on sale.
      http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1204332501169

I also get coupons in the mail all the time from Bestbuy for 10-12% off anything not on sale, so that may help some too.

The only other one everyone in forums was mentioning was a Dell XPS model, but it was also over $1000.

Notice you do get a lot more for you few hundred dollars with the gateway though.
      The 15" gets:
      ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT

The 17" gets:
      NVIDIA GeForce Go 8800M GTS

Also, Vista is not as bad as everyone says, and you can find Vista 64 on some laptops (mine has it). Try to get something with at least 3 gigs of ram to make your using really enjoyable. And if you get annoyed about something in Vista, just ask for help in the tech forum and we will get on it. Most annoying thing though is the pop up you get everytime you want to run or install a program, and that is easily turned off in like 10 sec if you know where to look.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
        Additionally, do you want NEW or refurbished? Sometimes refurbished lets you get more for less. But I wouldn't do it unless it was done by the manufacturer, instead of just some guy who "refurbished" it.
        I want it to be a new one. Just something that will work till i get this one fixed. So think of it as a backup laptop.

Bamboo-
        I thought of putting it in there but i wasnt sure.
        Could someone move this thread in to the tech forum please?
        |TG|Gabriel87
        Favorite quotes and sayings:

Teacher, Tommy you got a fairy godmother.
        Tommy, No, but we got an uncle we keep a close eye on.

*If anyone knows or has seen Markopilot please let him know that his gunner misses him and would like to talk to him agian. He knows me by Gabriel87.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X