Upgrading from XP to Vista need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from XP to Vista need help

Ok, I have my custom build pc with windows xp home sp2. I have two SATA2 HD's in RAID0. I am going to upgrade to vista home premium & need to know if I need to install the RAID drivers when upgrading or will vista automaticly install in RAID0? PLEASE HELP!!
    Last edited by machineofdeath; 07-23-2008, 11:31 PM.

Re: Upgrading from XP to Vista need help

dont do it....all the help you need :)
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Not sure what trooper means, but if you are going to do it, I would suggest you make sure you have a computer that can run it very well. Could you list your system specs?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I think Trooper is trying to say don't use Vista. What the crap is wrong with you man, were you bonked in the head with the moron mallet this morning just after finishing off your bowl of frosted stupids?

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
          I think Trooper is trying to say don't use Vista. What the crap is wrong with you man, were you bonked in the head with the moron mallet this morning just after finishing off your bowl of frosted stupids?
          basically yes. but was ment as a joke. Im actually jealous since i havent actually gotten to use Vista at all since it was released.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

nevermind, not worth my time

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

"Ya know, I wasn't going to say anything but screw it."
              A rule I've found useful is if I write "I wasn't going to say anything," I immediately halt, ^A, DEL, and do something else.

"The only person to ever give me a negative rep remark"
              Objection, relevancy! Rep is for fun, not for reals.

Is it just me or did the camel just meet the straw?
              Trooper: Stop being a dork in serious threads. Al Gore will smack you.
              Bamboo: Have a beer.

Comment

Here are the specs on my pc

Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI LGA 775 NV® NF650i SLI™ FSB1066 Dual DDR2-800 Dual PCI-E X16
                NV SATA 3G RAID Gigabit Ethernet 7.1 CH HD Audio RoHS Compliancy
                Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
                2x WD 320GB SATA II Caviar SE16 RAID-0
                4GB Corsair XMS2 PC-6400 DDR2 800MHz Ram
                EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT 512mb DDR3 Superclocked vid
                Zion Supernova 600Watt ATX Power Supply
                Asus Silent Knight II Heatsink Fan
                Niko 26In Flat Screen LCD Monitor

Your help with this question is greatly appreciated

Comment

Well the only reason I am doing this is cuz my step-daughters pc (my old one) finally crapped out & with school starting next month she needs a new one. As we all know new pc's come with vista, so I figured if she needs help with it then I better get it so I can figure it out.

I know I have to download vista driver updates for my MoBo chipset & audio driver, but as far as the RAID some people say yes & some say no so I was hoping to get a sure deal answer.

Comment

Vista isn't the devil.

I would check with the motherboards manufacturer for details on raid and vista. I can't really say it would work.

My advice would also be to get the 64 bit version to take advantage of your ram.

Comment

Vista did automatically pickup my Raid..both the 64-bit and the 32-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                        Vista did automatically pickup my Raid..both the 64-bit and the 32-bit.
                        Sure but tell the whole story, this was done with Vista held at gun point

Comment

That was about the only part of my experience that was positive. I ended up going back to XP Pro as fast as I could.

Comment

Originally posted by machineofdeath View Post
                            Here are the specs on my pc

Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI LGA 775 NV® NF650i SLI™ FSB1066 Dual DDR2-800 Dual PCI-E X16
                            NV SATA 3G RAID Gigabit Ethernet 7.1 CH HD Audio RoHS Compliancy
                            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
                            2x WD 320GB SATA II Caviar SE16 RAID-0
                            4GB Corsair XMS2 PC-6400 DDR2 800MHz Ram
                            EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT 512mb DDR3 Superclocked vid
                            Zion Supernova 600Watt ATX Power Supply
                            Asus Silent Knight II Heatsink Fan
                            Niko 26In Flat Screen LCD Monitor

Your help with this question is greatly appreciated

Hey there buddy!!! I'm going to give you some advise about Vista. This come from my tech buddy and where I get my rig service. Things to ask yourself before getting Vista.
                            -whats wrong with my version of XP, can I live with it for another year or Two?
                            -What do I really know about Vista, other than Microsoft is charging an arm and a leg for it.

Everyone I've talked to says wait, Remember Windows ME, well its Vista is like that. You don't see MS any more pushing it on TV, my tech friends are all saying Wait, but if you want to waists your money on Vista. partition your drive, have Vista on one side and Xp on the other. and Please don,t go the upgrade route once you upgrade your MS cancel your XP license, and its a lot of hassle to get it reactivated because you are not happy with Vista.

Personally I'm not planning to make the switch over and I have a new rig. I'm happy with XP Pro, and yes it can't see the 4 gig of ram thats on it. but I can reinstall some of my favorite old game and have fun.

To many issue with Vista for me to switch over.
                            55th Infantry Division

Comment

The exact same things were said about XP when it 1st came out, and now people are like "I love XP and you are going to have to pry it from my cold dead hard drive"

Truth is, Microsoft doesn't need to promote it on TV any more. They just released their earnings and sales at the beginning of the week and they were WAY up, with huge jumps in Vista sales.

I need to just bookmark this page so when the next version of Windows comes out and everyone is complaining and doesn't want to give up Vista, and some people are still stuck on XP like some are still stuck on Windows 2000 now, I can repost it and laugh.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X