Intel- July 20th price cut affects three Core 2's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel- July 20th price cut affects three Core 2's

So I have mentioned this price cut was happening, but I haden't heard that there is another one in Aug. on the 45nm Quad cores, like the 9450.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=8581&Itemid=1

As of July 20th as expected, Intel has dropped the prices of two dual cores and one quad core CPU. The slowest of them all is Core 2 Duo E8400 with 3GHz core clock and this one drops from original $183 to $163 wholesale price.

The Core 2 Duo E8500 with 3.16 GHz clock drops from $266 to todayís $183. This price drop has happened almost twenty days ahead of original plan as Intel plans to cut some more prices on the 10th of August.

The last to drop in price is enormously popular Q6600 the Kentsfield class 65nm quad core and this CPU drop from current $224 to $193. there will be some 45nm quad core price drops in early August so stay tuned for that one.

While on the intel subject, for those looking forward to Nehalem, 2 more articles:

2.66GHz Nehalem to sell for $284

Intelís reference X58 is Smackover

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Intel- July 20th price cut affects three Core 2's

Looks good...I love my Core 2 Duo E8400 .
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

The way those Quads keep droppin' I'll be upgrading my CPU sooner than Christmas.

Comment

so now the question. Should I wait for the 45nm CPU's to drop in price and get that or is there not much difference with gaming between 65nm and 45nm?

- -

Comment

Not really too much difference, but there is some. They use less power, run cooler, and do slightly better in benchmarks (clocked slightly higher too, I think). I'm thinking there will probably be about $100 price difference when the new price drop comes.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Actually more news just popped up:

;Crazy Fast Intel Bloomfield Processor Getting Early September Release

Intel's first Nehalem-based processor, Bloomfield, was originally set to launch in December, but Digitimes says these little demons will actually come out in September, hitting shelves in early October. Why the excitement? Nehalem is a brand new microarchitecture, replacing the Core one we're all familiar with. (Penryn was a shrink of Core, to make it more energy efficient.) Anandtech has a nice preview of Nehalem. To give you a taste, even on a "partly crippled, very early" platform, Nehalem smoked Penryn by 20-50 percent, while using only 10 percent more power. Yeah.
            More comments and a link to the source at the link above.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The Core2Duo is still an excellent choice for ANYONE.

The Quad is massive overkill for anything desktop related.
              Jon Biloh - Pub Game Servers
              Home of the QUALITY $1 / Slot Server
              pubgameservers.com

Comment

Really Jbiloh? And you know this because you have a quad?

I just spent the last 3 days playing with a movie editing program and rendering a movie almost a dozen times trying to get it to certain sizes. The program kept all 4 of my cores running at 90-100 while rendering, and I was using other programs at the same time. And the renders only took about an hour or so each.

When I used to render on my old computer, it would take a whole day, and the computer was about useless while running it.

A quad is not massive overkill, and more and more programs are being updated to make use of them. As I have said in other threads, we know from dev interviews that most of the games we are going to want to play that are about to be released all support quads, including FarCry2, ARMA2, and Stalker:Clear Skies.

Considering a q6600 is now less than $200, why wouldn't a new computer builder consider it a great deal.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X