Accessing data from my old NTFS HDD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing data from my old NTFS HDD?

OK, so I got my new computer parts. I'm all read to throw them together, except I want to moved all of my old data over to my new hard drive. Will this be possible? If I just throw my old HDD in my new system and try to boot, won't WinXP have a cow over the new hardware and want to be activated or something? If I set up my new HDD the way I want, and then try to access my old HDD as a secondary drive, everything will be protected/encrypted, right? Oh, well... For now, I'm just going to set up my new HDD until someone can explain how I can get all my stuff back.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Accessing data from my old NTFS HDD?

should be no problem

Comment

See other thread. I did this same thing as I was pulling my hair out in your shoes. My old drive worked like a champ in the new mobo/cpu, allowing me to hit the internet and download the drivers I needed.

Comment

the only folder that is really encrypted is the documents and settings folder. as long as you are logged in as administrator on the new install of xp, having access to the old drive and its data when set up as a slave drive is easily done. I had to do it on a computer one time, and it is basically a matter of giving yourself permission to view those files..... takes all of 45 seconds..... if I remember how I did it, I'll let you know.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I used xp's xfer wizard and saved the files it created to a directory on the old drive. Then I slaved the old drive on the new system and used the new system's xfer wizard to import those files and settings. Worked like a champ. I got all my emails, desktops, etc. with minimal fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
            the only folder that is really encrypted is the documents and settings folder. as long as you are logged in as administrator on the new install of xp, having access to the old drive and its data when set up as a slave drive is easily done. I had to do it on a computer one time, and it is basically a matter of giving yourself permission to view those files..... takes all of 45 seconds..... if I remember how I did it, I'll let you know.
            OK, most of the stuff I want (personal photos) is in my "My Documents" folder. Does this mean I'm going to have to boot from my old HDD in order to get these files? I guess that would be easiest, but I was worried that WindowsXP would demand that I "activate" my OS due to all of the hardware changes...

Oh, well, I'm gonna give it a try... If I can boot my old drive, then I'll give Leejo's suggestion a try.
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

most of the time, if you are under Administrator, you can see those files... (I think the exception to this is if you are on 2 different computers... like it uses the motherboard info to get the encryption key) so you might need to either go leejo's way or fix permissions....
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                OK, most of the stuff I want (personal photos) is in my "My Documents" folder. Does this mean I'm going to have to boot from my old HDD in order to get these files? I guess that would be easiest, but I was worried that WindowsXP would demand that I "activate" my OS due to all of the hardware changes...
                No, Encrypted was the wrong word to use. Nothing is encrypted on an NTFS drive by default.

The documents and settings folder has file permissions on it, but that doesn't matter because by installing the HDD on another PC you are effectively taking ownership of it.

Long story short: as long as you haven't manually encrypted anything, you should have 0 problems moving data over.

Related topic: using your old boot drive with a new MB will 99% likely cause an "innaccessible boot device" blue scene during loading. Although I've never tried it, I've been told that if before you add in any new hardware, you go to device manager and remove you HDD and IDE controller drivers you can then put in the new board and XP/2000 will detect them and work just fine.

I don't know if this works as I always used a MB upgrade as an excuse the reformat my HDD.

Comment

OK, I've got my old HDD installed as a secondary drive now. I was able to get the stuff that I wanted that wasn't in "Documents and Settings", but when I try to access anything within my old account it says that it's not accessible. I'm right now in the process of simply copying the entire "documents and settings" folder to my new HDD. I'm assuming the folder permissions will transfer with it, but one can hope.

Is there another way to get around these permissions? (I am logged in using an admin account and I even logged in as the administrator to see if that worked any better...)

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I tried booting my old drive and it simply froze up at the login screen. Keyboard didn't work and mouse didn't move.

I guess I've finally learned my lesson about keeping your data and OS seperate...
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried taking ownership of the folder (under Properties/Security/Advanced)?

Comment

yeah.... thats what Im talking about..... i forgot I was using home edition..... that fixed it for me..... do that.

Comment

Actually, I tried booting from my old drive again and it started right up. So I managed to save all of my important files AND my pr0n AND my music AND my email messages and settings! I'm now a very happy camper!

I'm going to try that taking ownership thing right now, too, though. Just to see if that works for me...
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
                          Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried taking ownership of the folder (under Properties/Security/Advanced)?
                          I don't have that tree available to me. Within folder properties, I have three tabs: "General", "Sharing" and "Customize". Within "Sharing", there is no advanced option, just "Local sharing and security" (which is greyed out/unavailable), and "Network sharing and security" (which I assume isn't what I want right now). Sharing it on the network doesn't make it accessible to me.
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

you are using xp home right?

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/default...308421&sd=tech

Glad you got it worked out though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X