New Comp-thanks to All

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Comp-thanks to All

Well, finally done. pulled the trigger and i can be none the happier. These forums and the TG community I owe a debt of gratitude--don't get too excited, blew my cash on the PC...so no money coming your way :)

Mobo: P5Q deluxe, fantastic so far. just make sure you update the bios
    CPU: Q6600 Plans of overclocking a little. That is my next project I guess
    PSU: Corsair 620HX
    Case: NXZT Lexa Classic
    Mem: OCZ DDR2 800 platinum
    HDD: 2 WD 300GB
    VC: ATI 4870 WOOOOOT! a big change from my 6800GS....a friggin' really BIG change

Thanks again to the forums. Bamboo, Longbow, and the cast of thousands. I am not the review type, cause I know very little on the tech side...other than, "wow, real pretty." But if anyone wants my two cents (CDN of course) I am more than happy. Now back to mind altering graphics.
    fignut

Re: New Comp-thanks to All

What, no monitor? If you have a crappy monitor it's all for naught.

Comment

Thats awesome Fignut!!!!
      I would suggest you look into an aftermarket CPU cooler if you are going to overclock, just to keep your 6600 safe as possible. Hit me on x-fire or a PM if you want some of the links I have on overclocking the 6600, but really all you need to do is change 1 number (the FSB) in your BIOS and you will be running at 3.0 in 15 sec.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Jmaker: Monitor is LG2252TQ-TF 22" of happiness

Bamboo, I will definitely take you up on that, and I did get a OCZ Vendetta 2 for cooling. OverClocking scares the snot out of me so any links would be wicked. ;)
        fignut

Comment

I have the exact same processor, and Bamboo is right. Just make sure you get an aftermarket cooler, and you just change one number in the BIOS to overclock it. I have mine bumped up to 2.9. It's really not scary at all. Just monitor your temperatures and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fignut View Post
            Jmaker: Monitor is LG2252TQ-TF 22" of happiness

Bamboo, I will definitely take you up on that, and I did get a OCZ Vendetta 2 for cooling. OverClocking scares the snot out of me so any links would be wicked. ;)
            Vendetta 2 is a great cooler. My Xigmatek HDT-1283 is similar in design and I love it. You need to apply the thermal compound to those HDT heatsinks a bit differently than you would a regular one though. Apply a thin line all the way up the flat part of the heat pipe, put in on the CPU and twist it around a bit.

Anyhow, that PC looks awesome. Congrats!
            sigpic

Comment

What did the entire PC cost ya?

I have 3 of the LG's at the office, love them!
              Jon Biloh - Pub Game Servers
              Home of the QUALITY $1 / Slot Server
              pubgameservers.com

Comment

sweet Figgy..! I also have that monitor at the ouse for games..I like it a lot..! :)

Comment

Good stuff Fignut. I assume this was through NCIX?

As for overclocking I would say be sure to do some reading first. It's not that overclocking is hard but it may put your mind at ease and help you focus in on the right areas.

Here is a site that has a wealth of resources. You can learn a ton from it and use it to find settings, freeware, temperatures and anything else to help you.
                  http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php?

Comment

Nice rig Fig. :)
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I figured since I took the time to type this all out for Fig, some other folks might find it useful because the same info pretty much applies to all overclocking. Look around and I am sure you can find links for your own CPU, especially the e8400 and other core2's.

Wanted to get you these links yesterday but got busy with other things.

Here are my bookmarks about overclocking the q6600. Some may be helpful, some not.

Overclocking Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/11...q6600_to_4ghz/

Intel Quad-Core Overclocking (Q6600 G0) [ Edited ]

Intel Core 2 Q6600 G0 Stepping: Cheap Quad Core Just Got Better -look on page 3 or something

The server seems to be down on these next 2, but they are from a really good site so you might want to keep checking back on them till it is up again:
                      Even their homepage is down

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1188093

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1282541

Chances are about 99% sure you have a GO stepping, and not the older B3. GO came out about a year ago, and I am sure they sold through the B3. I actually held off building mine for about a month because I was waiting for a store to guarantee a GO.

OK, after all that reading it boils down to this. If you want to do just a minor and safe overclock to about 3.0, just go into your BIOS, find where you can change your FSB (front side bus) and up it from the like 266 or so it is at now to about 333.

You get your CPU speed by taking your FSB # and multiplying it by the CPU mulitplier, which should be 9 by default. So 333 x 9 = 2.997
                      You really don't need to go any faster. Even playing Crysis, since it uses your quad's 4 cores, it only runs them at like 75% or so.

If you want more, you are probably going to need a bit of a voltage bump, which you can find out a lot more about reading the above links. A TINY bit more voltage can be o.k. and safe, but the more you give it the more likely it is to shorten the life of you CPU. Personally, I didn't want to mess with that, and I just set my FSB to like 340 (so I would run at like 3.06 or something). Then just save your BIOS settings and exit. It will reboot and you should be good to go.

Just make sure you case has good airflow, nothing blocking fans or anything. Also might want to download the awesome program Coretemp
                      http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
                      Run that in the back ground set up to record to like a text file, and let it sit running while you surf and do normal work. Check temps.
                      Then start a new text save file and jump in a game for a while, or run 3DMark06 or something, and then look at the temps again.

You might also want to do the CoreTemp before you try the overclocking, just to get a base line and see what your temps are now.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X