Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashes with my new computer

Allright I'm asking for you more experienced guys to help me with this:

I bought and assembled my new computer couple days ago, installed windows vista, and some games. In some games, including crysis, application stopped working, CPU operating speed went to 0% and game froze, after this windows message "crysis stopped working". Didn't bother me, crysis has nice auto save features so it took me about 1min from collapse to get back in game.

Oh well more bad news, my DvD drive stopped working (might have something to do with it coming in plastic bag). So I return it and they tell me to get back next week. So I started to install windows updates and stuff so everything would work when I get my DvD drive back. I was able to play supreme commander from my hardrive (requires no cd). But same error than with crysis, but CPU is working, but it isn't operating anything.

Now I second time overclock my CPU bit and no more CPU froze problems, but oh yeah, BSOD! After googling error number it gave to me I find out that it had something to do with my driver, I update it.

Problem should be finally gone, but no... Now my just downloaded HL2 stops working giving me APP CRASH window, saying something about my Nvd3dum.dll driver (and lot os numbers, won't write em here unless you guys want me to). I install more updates, try to find more drivers, with no luck.

So I test HL2 once more, I'am able to play about 30mins or more, and then, once again game frozes. Task manager says: Not responding...

I just can't find any drivers that want to install... Heres some information from DxDiag:

-----------------------------------
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 1194MB used, 5649MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0611&SUBSYS_053C10DE&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 1884 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 477 MB
    Shared Memory: 1407 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
    Driver Version: 7.15.0011.6925 (English)
    DDI Version: 10
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 12/12/2007 01:06:00, 5263360 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4551-11CF-6368-372502C2CA35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0611
    SubSys ID: 0x053C10DE
    Revision ID: 0x00A2
    Revision ID: 0x00A2

(left out some info here)

DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    -------------------------------------------------------------

If there is any other info you need, just ask I'am full of my games not working! Any help will be appreciated!

-Silver_Pipe

Edit: Motherboard is Abit's IP35P

Re: Crashes with my new computer

Well it appears that your using driver 169.25 for your 8800GT. That is a bit of an old driver and I had the similar problems with several drivers from that time.

I would suggest getting this driver, its a fairly new one and I have had good luck with it. There are even newer ones in the 177.xx range as well

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWar...load-1920.html

Take a read through the nvidia driver forum at www.guru3d.com for some feedback on drivers. Keep in mind that almost every driver has at least one person who has problems with it, haven't found a perfect one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
      Well it appears that your using driver 169.25 for your 8800GT. That is a bit of an old driver and I had the similar problems with several drivers from that time.

I would suggest getting this driver, its a fairly new one and I have had good luck with it. There are even newer ones in the 177.xx range as well

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWar...load-1920.html

Take a read through the nvidia driver forum at www.guru3d.com for some feedback on drivers. Keep in mind that almost every driver has at least one person who has problems with it, haven't found a perfect one yet.
      Thanks for links and info! I will try this first thing when I get next time to my computer (sunday meaby).
      So do I have to reinstall my old driver first (and that happened by going into my computer > devices > delete my graphics card driver, right?)

Comment

Get used to it..just one word for ya.. "Vista"..

Comment

its not vista, its an old driver, i have 2 comp with vista, ZERO BSOD or CRASHES since instalation.... ZERO, compared to the 2x weekly with xp
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Yeah, it is not Vista. I have had it running smoothly for me for a while now. Sp1 seems to helped it out as well. Only issue I had was trying to get the ArmA demo to run under Vista 64 bit with the 4Gb of RAM, which I just booted with 3Gb in order to try out the demo. Once I was done I put it back to 4Gb of RAm and ordered the full game.

No big deal though.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver_Pipe View Post
              Thanks for links and info! I will try this first thing when I get next time to my computer (sunday meaby).
              So do I have to reinstall my old driver first (and that happened by going into my computer > devices > delete my graphics card driver, right?)
              Before uninstalling grab a free software like driver cleaner or driver sweeper (
              http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t185346.html
              It will be used after the uninstall but read through how to use it before doing anything.

Be sure to have your driver downloaded and unzipped (if need be) but don't actually run it.

Uninstall your current video card driver:
              -right click desktop
              -properties
              -settings tab
              -advanced button
              -adaptor tab
              -properties button
              -driver tab
              -uninstall driver button

Next run the above linked software (assuming you already installed it) as per the instructions. It might ask you to run it in safe mode, just keep hitting the "F8" key upon restarting your computer (right from the first second on) until you see a screen with a choice to run windows in safe mode.

Now you can restart and tell windows to piss off, you will find the driver. :madsmile: Just double click on the driver and it should auto run.

Restart

You should now be in buisness.

Do this a few times and it will become second nature. Some people say that the for a while now nvidia drivers don't require the above process. Simply grab the new driver and install it. It automatically will overwrite the files and your set. You can give that a try first if you like though I always do the above method.

Comment

Yeah, the newer Nvidia drivers are pretty good about straight installing. Think I've only had 1 in the last couple months that didn't work and required the aforementioned method for uninstalling/cleaning/installing.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

What your motherboard brand name and model?

Also what chipset is your motherboard running?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Allright after updating driver it took even less time fot the application to crash... 2minutes -.-

"Luckily" I got exact problem window info copied so and it says something about StackHash_fcce... Here it is anyway:

Problem signature:
                    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
                    Application Name: hl2.exe
                    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
                    Application Timestamp: 431fc08b
                    Fault Module Name: StackHash_fcce
                    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
                    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
                    Exception Code: c0000005
                    Exception Offset: 45610000
                    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
                    Locale ID: 1035
                    Additional Information 1: fcce
                    Additional Information 2: c90f2305b3c37d185bd42fb2be9b12e2
                    Additional Information 3: 0a04
                    Additional Information 4: 17c4cdeca463e7689f8c33a22bb014b9

When I reinstalled my driver with instructions from longbow (and that forum), windows said something about installed drivers before I did anything (after deleting my old driver).

Oh well anyway it still might be just video card driver problem I think. It isn't vista, thats what I'm pretty sure with!

And my chipset is Intel P35/ICH9

Comment

You need to uninstall your display drivers first before reinstalling a new one. (Follow my steps below.)
                      1. START > Control Panel
                      2. Double-click on Device Manager
                      3. Left-click to expand Display adapters
                      4. Right-click on NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT > Uninstall

It'll ask if you are sure you want to uninstall, select 'Yes'.

After you uninstall, you may need to restart. If you are prompted to restart, restart then continue. If you're not, then just continue on.

(Re)Install the nVidia drivers you downloaded. Restart your machine. Play some games and test to see if you still experience crashes.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Allright I just got new BSOD, after trying again install new driver + running hl2 two times. And I have back upped all my games, so I think I will reinstall my vista. Theres really little that seems to help for this, so I'll give it try now, when it is still pretty easy!

Never really done this and unable to find "starter guide" for uninstall vista (and emptying my hard drive). If you know good 1 please post it, no hurry though because I need my DvD drive untill I can install anything... Hope this will resolve my problem, I would give up vista without bad news of bf3 not supporting anything else -.-'

Comment

I feel like we have talked here in the past with other people having a crashing problem with the 8800GT. Reinstalling vista is probably not the answer. Getting your driver right for the gfx card probably is. The thing is, if you reinstall Vista it may seem like it fixes it just because it gets rid of the GFX card driver completly.

And you are sure you used the driver cleaner properly mentioned above by Longbow? This is how to do everything perfect:
                          http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_3.html

And Nvidia did just release the Forceware 175.19 a couple days ago, so make sure you are trying that one.
                          http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I would tend to agree with the above that re-installing isn't going to be a fix. I think you are missing a needed driver or update. I would start by making sure your fully patched with Vista, I know that when service pack 1 came out it took two weeks to show up in the auto updater.

Next go to the mobo manufacturers website and grab the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

Be sure to uninstall the video card driver, driver sweep it and then install a new driver. Don't let windows find it for you.

The other thing I would check is proper power connections. Some motherboards have a 4 pin molex connector just underneath the PCI-E slots that you may have missed? Check that all the connectors are plugged in including the small ones. Also try to get your video card on a dedicated plug that doesn't share power if you can?

Comment

Oh great now I get BSODs if I don't run windows in safe mode, or windows just won't run. I was once able to get into normal windows after reinstalling new video driver but then I noticed something. My CPU speed was 3.6GHZ when whit same stats it used to be 3.2GHz. I tried to go put it lower but for some reason voltage wouldn't go down and lowering it didn't help, instead I was totally unable to get into normal windows.

Blue screen BCCode was 9c, no idea what that could be! I don't think it is CPU problem because without my video driver everything works well (=in safe mode)... This is so weird because I have no idea what could cause problems like this. I hope my CPU didn't damage, health status says it works well (in BIOS)

Just letting you know, and going to fight once again with my computer! (And I need backup) I don't know how to get back into normal windows, and why did crashes start in first place. This started happening exactly after running that vista system test (gives number and tests your computer), how could this cause it... If you guys don't know anything about this problem, I will wait for my DvD drive and install that windows fix.

EDIT: Just keeps giving BSODs, I did run in tech fix mode but all I got was another BSOD... I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the video driver. So I will once again try to reinstall it... Checking in later...

EDIT2: Allright I searched ntbtlog and last line is driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb20.sys. Safe boot is still only way to in, BCCode was again 9c. Heres the BSOD info. Can't wait for my DvD drive -.-

Problem signature:
                              Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
                              OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
                              Locale ID: 1035

Additional information about the problem:
                              BCCode: 9c
                              BCP1: 00000003
                              BCP2: 85121C68
                              BCP3: B6200049
                              BCP4: 0002010A
                              OS Version: 6_0_6001
                              Service Pack: 1_0
                              Product: 256_1

I will propably formate my whole C if fix from install disk doesn't help.
                              Last edited by Mixa; 07-28-2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X