iPod help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod help needed

So I broke down and got a Apple product!! :row__577: I ended up getting the 32GB iPod Touch, plus it came with a free Shuffle. Anyway, I am really pissed off with this thing. I of course had to install iTunes much to my dismay, just so I could pay for a damn software upgrade that should have either come with it or been free. Then I decided to add my music library so I can start adding songs to my iPod Touch. OMG, it jacked up all my music. It started adding crazy and wild names to my very meticulous music catalog. I have over 5000 albums (yes they are all legit mp3s :row__644:) that all had Album art with accompanying details. Itunes arbitrarily decided to delete most of them and create its own crap. Now I am missing most of my art and half my music is unrecognizable. Plus, the Itunes is horribly slow and keeps messing with my library, let alone crashing with Vista. Long story short I had to delete everything and restore a previous library I had backed up.

So I am now having to use Media Player with some plug in by MGTEK that allows syncing to a iPod. What are my options? Are there other things (software options) out there that I can use with my catalog? Where can I get a instruction manual for this thing? Is there anything (widgets) out there worth adding to the iPod?

And no I am not Apple hater, just a consumer a little frustrated with a Apple product....
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: iPod help needed

Every Ipod I had came up as a mass storage device in my PC. Meaning that there should be no synching required, just drag and drop however you want.

Been awhile since I've used them though, so it may have changed.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I've never had iTunes renaming my collection of music.

Are you adding the music files to your library? Or are you just adding them to a playlist?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Under Edit - Preferences - Advanced, uncheck the box that says "Keep the iTunes folder organized". And then when you plug yr ipod in, check the box on the iPod screen in iTunes that says something like "Manually manage my iPod".

I had the same resistance to iTunes when I first got it, but other syncing programs I used to use (like EphPod and floola) were buggy at times, requiring full restores of the iPod at times.

My advice is to stick with iTunes, since you'll need it for the App Store anyway. It is entirely possible to maintain your own idiosyncratic mp3 organization system (like I do) without iTunes 'correcting' it for you or requiring full syncs. I for example manually add/remove music from my ipod, but allow it to sync (I have to manually sync it) selected podcasts, movies/tv shows, apps and contacts.
        Beatnik

Comment

I have 6 iPods all syncing to my iTunes and I had the same issue when I first started. I had to reload my library (only the 90 gigs worth of music, the 105gigs of video was not rearranged) from backups after doing exactly what Beatnik suggested. The good thing about iTunes is that you can sync the iPod to only a playlist. Since I have a 160gig classic, a 16gig touch, an 8gig touch, 2 4gig nanos, and a 2gig shuffle, each one gets its own playlist and I can update all of them at the same time if I want. I now use helium music manager to organize my library.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Now for some reason iTunes cannot recognize my iPod. I tried doing the "restore" and it is all jacked up... Is there a way to totally restore it to factory settings?

As for iTunes, my patience is wearing thin. I tried everything you all said and it keeps pissing me off. It says it is doing something, but then it reverts back to telling me I need to restore my iPod. Like I said, I did it through iTunes, now I tried it on the iPod itself. Arg!! This thing is pissing me off. I just want to listen to some music...

As another note, is there a way to copy my Media Player play lists into iTunes? (if I ever get it to work again)
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

BigC, the most recent version of I-tunes has been causing some problems. I know it doesn't install right for me (installer keeps crashing, but the program still works?), and DesertFox that just built his new rig had some problems, but got it working after playing with it. I don't have an i-pod yet, but Fox did and needed Itunes fixed quick because he was going on vacation.

I don't think he is back yet, but when he is if you haven't figured it out, I will ask him.

This is the post he made about it last week:
              http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-...-problems.html

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Ok, now it is "bricked" and is a damn paper weight. I did a restore, a complete system restore, and even did the reformat trick of holding down the home key while plugging it in. iTunes keeps telling me to do another restore, but honestly I have done a good dozen or so and iTunes will not properly recognize my iPod Touch. Pretty much a shame when restoring it will not work.

I have lost all faith in this piece of crap!!! I just spent the good part of two days screwing with it and now realize I wasted a lot of money and time.

I searched all over the web and there is nothing out there that helps, only gives me sucks to be you feeling.... Abd yes now I am a Apple hater for a good reason... It is a damn MP3 player, I have had dozens (none apple) that never caused any thing remote as to problems like this...

Comment

BigC,

Bring it to your local (or not local) apple store and ask the guys at the cafe to help you out. They have been the most helpful customer service reps I have ever met. My wife has also just jumped into the fray of the touch and she loves it. It is worth a shot.

B
                  "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

yeah, I have not had any issues either. I am sorry it is giving you so much trouble. good luck getting it fixed.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by Bc2ID View Post
                      BigC,

Bring it to your local (or not local) apple store and ask the guys at the cafe to help you out. They have been the most helpful customer service reps I have ever met. My wife has also just jumped into the fray of the touch and she loves it. It is worth a shot.

B

LOL, I am currently playing in the Middle East, so no there are not a whole lot of Apple stores around.

Any suggestions on reclaiming my album art? I used Tune Sleeve today, which works decent, but it still is missing a good percentage of albums. The funny thing is if I go into my Explorer, I made sure every album had art so all the corresponding folders have it. Anyway for iTunes to pick it all up a bit better?

Comment

I actually have that problem myself.... I would like to get that answer too.

Comment

You can try using a utility such as iDump to try and retrieve your music. As for album art, you could try using some of the other utilities out there (browse Download.com).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X