Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help: BitComet and Bandwidth Drain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help: BitComet and Bandwidth Drain.

Okay, I'm at a breaking point where I can no longer withstand my siblings constant need to be downloading files through BitComet and other such programs.

With BitComet running on their computers, I lose 70% to 80% of my total download and upload bandwidth.

As far as I can tell, I can't ban BitComet from my network (since it actively searches for open ports), but I do want to limit the bandwidth available to the program / user's computer.

I've already adjusted both of my siblings clients so that they don't suck more than 10 KB/s upload and 30 KB/s download. I've also disabled DHT settings on their bittorrent clients.

Note: I should add this here. Sooner or later they're going to figure out that I limited their programs. So eventually, they'll restore their former settings (which is unlimited global upload and download + DHT).

The only thing I can't do is ban them from using their clients altogether.

My router is a: Linksys WRT54GL.

I've tried looking through my router's CP and QoS settings, but short of banning a computer from the network for periods of time or deprioritizing packets, I can't seem to find a way to limit available bandwidth to a certain computer.

Is there anyway I can limit the amount of bandwidth available to a certain computer on my specific router?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Need Help: BitComet and Bandwidth Drain.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...h+with+wrt54gl

http://www.squidoo.com/bandwidth-management

You said you looked through the QoS on your router, but I think that's where you have to make the changes.

Comment

Most linksys routers don't have the ability to do such bandwidth monitoring + limiting. There is QoS to give some ports priority over others, this may help you a bit although I have had no luck with this. IMO your best way is to convince them to share the connection. Limiting the upload to be <75% your total upload and <90% your total download you shouldn't have lag issues (this thread about lag ingame?)

If all else fails theres a nice convincing utility invented a few hundred years ago

[media]http://www.bridesmaidsgifts.net/bridesmaids-gifts/cj_GC187_Rawlings_Baseball_bat_free_engraving_incl uded_in_block_font_shown_bridesmaidsgifts_.jpg[/media]

;)

Comment

I used to lock out my siblings PC's from the internet entirely with my linksys as a response to downloading too much crap. Gave myself a static IP and blocked all other IP's in the router whenever I wanted to game, then opened it back up when I was done. Rarely ran into problems because my siblings hardly ever used their connections during the day other than downloads. Eventually got them into an accord to only run torrents overnight.

In terms of what you're asking to do, it's not easy to do remotely in a home network setup where you don't have the benefit of network administrator overlord status.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Hmm, well the responses so far tell me that my router as it is can't do much.

I've been meaning to try DD-WRT / Tomato but still afraid of bricking my router.

Oh well, I'll just have to hope my settings to my siblings clients hold for now. I've still got another computer in the house to fix and my internet has been on the fritz for hours, so that's also why I keep having to re-post in this thread.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Go with one of the 3rd party firmwares. That's what the GL was made for. (The L is for Linux, and was created to allow people to continue to customize their routers after Linksys switched to VxWorks on hardware with a lot less memory to cut costs.)

Then set up something like the Wondershaper rules. They prioritize UDP (games and VOIP) over TCP and let ACKS go to the front of the line to avoid retries, which kill throughput. An absolutely critical setting in traffic shaping is your downstream cap. The router MUST be set slightly below your actual downstream capacity or you'll have problems, because packets will start to queue in the ISP routers and your cable/DSL modem, and that will cause needless retries.

Question: What do you need to use the connection for when your siblings are hogging the line? If it's gaming, simple traffic shaping like the Wondershaper should do the job. If you also need bandwidth-intensive use, such as video streaming, then you need to establish fairness rules.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
              Thank you, this is good news for other visitors
              http://www.globolstaff.com

Comment

Take a look at Network Magic (by Linksys/Cisco) that may be able to do what you want, I'm not sure.

Comment

I'm not sure why this thread is being brought back alive. I have since put Tomato FW on my router. Using Tomato I've managed to suspend or cut bandwidth allocated the my siblings computers. So problem essentially solved. :)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X