Wierd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd

So its another normal day on Al Krufrah Oilfield 64 in PR. I'm an engy for armor, everything's going well when suddenly (dramatic pause) I lag out and CTD!!! So as usual I yell and scream with my mic off. :P I attempt to rejoin when when I hit the Join Game button, i'm greeted by... THE WONDERFUL BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!! An error report when rs'ed finds it was a problem with my audio software... overheat maybe? Any remote way, a hacker attempt? Give me solutions people I WANT SOLUTIONS!!!! lol

Re: Wierd

Depends. Does it keep happening? If it was a one-time event, could've been any number of things and I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens again I'd look at updating the drivers for your sound card, blowing the dust out of your tower, etc.

With sound related BSOD it's almost always a driver issue, ime.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Spyder's right, but also you didn't give us much to go on like what sound card are you using, what driver, etc.

But it could just be a hiccup with the computer, and a 1 time thing. How often do you reboot your computer?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        Depends. Does it keep happening? If it was a one-time event, could've been any number of things and I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens again I'd look at updating the drivers for your sound card, blowing the dust out of your tower, etc.

With sound related BSOD it's almost always a driver issue, ime.
        It had never happened before, ran AV scan nothing came up. :) My sound card is Sound Blaster X-Fi Fata1ity.

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        How often do you reboot your computer?
        Not at all very often.

Comment

You should reboot every few days, ESPECIALLY WITH XP that you love so much. It doesn't do as near a good job as Vista a letting go of things when you close them out, so the longer you run the more likely you are to have a hiccup somewhere. Just every other night or so turn off your computer when you go to bed.

Even better, so you can stop wasting your parents electricity, is to turn your computer off when you aren't going to be using it for a few hours. Quit contributing to global warming. :D

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

You should reboot every few days, ESPECIALLY WITH XP that you love so much. It doesn't do as near a good job as Vista a letting go of things when you close them out, so the longer you run the more likely you are to have a hiccup somewhere. Just every other night or so turn off your computer when you go to bed.

Even better, so you can stop wasting your parents electricity, is to turn your computer off when you aren't going to be using it for a few hours. Quit contributing to global warming. :D
            You truly have no idea how much electricity your average PC uses until you have your own electric bill and 4 machines that are on 24/7.........
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

True Vista lover right there.. ;)

I love the sleep feature in Vista.. although I'm unsure if it helps power consumption at all. I would think so as all the fans + stuff seem to turn off.

Comment

Sleep just puts things in memory, and has to still use power to be able to jump right back where you left off.

And hibernate isn't really a good option I don't think. You want your computer to refresh itself with the reboot, not come right back to the same stuff running. Plus, depending on your rig, hibernate can take up a huge chunk of your harddrive. I saw a 4 gig section on my harddrive one day and started looking into it and found out it was a hibernation data file from the 1 time I had tried it on Vista.

As I have posted before, this is a great program to play with to see what all is actually on your harddrive:
                http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/on.../sequoiaview//

Turn on the color, and let the program blow your mind how much junk you have on your HD you can easily get rid of.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Install Vista. :)
                  sigpic

Comment

Hibernate gives you "almost instant on" because it snapshots memory and restarts the OS from where you left off when you shut down. None of the normal start-up churn. If you're one to leave a computer running for days at a time, hibernate is a good tradeoff for when you're not using it and don't need remote access.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                      You truly have no idea how much electricity your average PC uses until you have your own electric bill and 4 machines that are on 24/7.........
                      Oh, but I do. I now enforce the "sleep mode" policy on all my systems (or I just yank the cord).
                      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 07-30-2008, 04:18 PM.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

typical XP error (snicker snicker) jk