This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista-Love It or Hate It

Hate Vista when it came up i heard it wouldnt do gaming very well, have despised it since, has had loads of other problems.
    I run Windows XP (the best OS ever). :D

Verdict=Hate It.

Re: Vista-Love It or Hate It

Hate Vista when it came up i heard it wouldnt do gaming very well, have despised it since, has had loads of other problems.
    Wait, have you actually used Vista yourself or are you basing your opinions on what others have said? And do let us know what these "loads of other problems" are.

Can we seriously end the Vista bashing from now on? Just watch the Mojave Experiment tomorrow.

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

Comment

If you are old enough you would realise how silly this tread is (that is blanket statement of course). I remember Windows 3.0, then came 3.1. People realised it sucked...along comes 3.1.1. Finally, Windows 95 "revolutionized" the OS. Best ever...the ever elusive "they" said. Mind you, We will ignore ME..the entire Millennium was over hyped anyways---but people still ran out and bought it. Then XP no one wanted to change from 95, as a matter of fact there were probably forums that talked about how crappy XP was. And so on and so on.... this argument is FAR from new and FAR from over. It is what it is...like it or hate. We will all buy a new OS when the awesome video games force us too. Otherwise we wouldn't have given up those 386's. :)
      fignut

Comment

Pass.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

My biggest issue with Vista is how it manages the administrative rights. I have had issues with doing a simple file transfer onto a external hard drive and Vista tells me I have to have administrative rights to do this transfer but I am already an administrator. Does anyone else have this issue and is there a way to eliminate this issue?
          sigpic

Comment

I have had no problems transferring files onto my small backup hard drive.

Driz,
            Try right-clicking on the program and setting the permissions to administrator.

As for Vista bashing, I'm tired of it too. People always use the same lines: "loads of problems", "constant crashing", blah blah blah.

There's nothing wrong with the OS that I've found. Sure there are some crashes now and then, but please, lay the blame on companies like nVidia who still continue to write buggy drivers for their hardware.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

not even close to being worth it
              Last edited by Bamboo; 07-29-2008, 09:15 AM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Much Vista bashing comes down to parroting one's friends, not actual experience. You can spot the people with experience: They provide details of the problems, as Drizzid does. And there's a minimum of hyperbole.

I'm a Linux user on the server side and the biggest problem with getting Linux accepted is all the clueless fanbois making embarrassingly clueless criticisms of the competition.

I find it amusing to hear people say that "no one plays games on Linux", when in fact many game servers (where the game decisions are made) run Linux, and the client (running Windows) is a glorified terminal.

But Vista is a damn fine terminal. :D
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

ONLY issues I have had with Vista is cause I have experimented and played with it causing it have issues. The first 3 months I had it I was constantly doing something to cause it to have the problems, which I expect is the problem with most other people. They play round experimenting with it, examining it and who knows what all and they might accidentally remove something that Vista thinks is a pretty important file that it needs to run stable.
                  Anyway, these past 3 months I have had it I have done less experimenting with Vista(cause I did that the first 3 months) after a fresh install and it has ran fine for me except for the time my anti virus let a trojan on my computer(that was actually 5 days ago), I have since removed the trojan(I think & hope) and Vista is still doing OK.
                  I will say that I believe it is important for people to experiment and play with the O/S a little to find out how to use it better, people learn from their mistakes but also, don't be stupid enough to have important files on any computer with a new O/S not unless you have backups. The mistake making process is what makes learning the O/S fun and later you will know a lot more about the O/S.
                  Only reason why I think a person would have an honest reason for hating Vista is if they have a computer that just isn't qualified to run Vista due to poor hardware performance. Not enough RAM or processor power.

I have never experimented with any type of Linux based O/S so I know I would not have a clue on that but I do have Ubuntu, I just never have installed it to try it out YET. I am sure I will curse a lot and make a lot of mistakes with it but after a few months I would probably end up liking it at least a little. BTW, the experimenting and stuff like that how I learned about computers, after I found out I could keep doing a fresh install I kept up the experimenting. If it wasn't for that then I would most likely not know anything about a computer at all because I would have just gave up. That is what it sounds like most people here that complain about Vista do. People if you mess up just do a fresh install and learn from your mistakes!!! Not Microsoft's fault, Vista is a good O/S, a little demanding on hardware but still has been good to me and also, if I do mess it up I still have the disk to do a fresh install to do it all over again.

EDIT:
                  Drizzid, you have the UAC turned off? If so you may need to enable it long enough to actually go in and let you set the administator rights under the properties tag on some files that you want transferred. Some don't need it while others do, have no clue why though. UAC is in the User Accounts on the Control Panel if you didn't already know.

Comment

We actually have a PC in the house that runs Vista. More of an office type thing. I run XP mainly because we don't have another copy of Vista and I'm used to XP, it's second nature to me what to do with it. I've had XP for 3-5 years ever since I've had a comp. that's all mine. There was one once that run 95 then 98, then I got that one and upgraded to XP. I've heard bad things about Vista, never actually have had a chance to really experiment with it and find out all its features and whatnot. I belive the best part of Vista is the sidebar. I belive the worst part is the UAC. I've never actually bashed Vista publically and haven't been here long enough to see everyone else bash it. I see now this has been going on for a long time and this was just another silly thread.

Now about the Ubuntu thing. Ubuntu has potential to be a great O/S if sound card and video card makers would write some DARNED DRIVERS FOR IT THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY MAKE WORK! I've experimented deeply with these drivers and can't get the sound to work. I'm obviously doing something wrong when trying to install Linux drivers for my sound card. I'm on a dual boot between XP and Ubuntu, so I'm afraid that if I do something bad enough, I'll screw up both OS's and I certainly don't want that.

I know that Linux is great for server side things, but now one actually writes client software for Linux so....

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      not even close to being worth it
                      :icon_eek: I'm shocked to read this.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have XP professional at work (to solve Visual Studio 2005 issues) and Vista on my laptop and at home.

When I am on my XP machine I actually miss Vista. I couldn't say the same thing when I had Windows 2k at work and XP at home.

And since we are going to Visual Studio 2008 this week I am getting rid of all my XP machines. There will be no tears shed.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

what bamboo means (i think) is the argument isnt worth his time

vista - LOVE IT

from the last vista related thread :
                          Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          nevermind, not worth my time