Dell debuts Studio Hybrid line of "petite" desktop PCs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell debuts Studio Hybrid line of "petite" desktop PCs

These look like they might work out as a small HTPC or a kids computer, and of course I'm not just posting this because they have a Bamboo version :row__631:

Dell debuts Studio Hybrid line of "petite" desktop PCs

and

Dell's Studio Hybrid product page goes live: Gotta Spec 'Em All!

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Dell debuts Studio Hybrid line of "petite" desktop PCs

I'd love criticize the crap out of these, except they're probably very similar to the HP thin clients we use...which work extremely well.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Review is already out, and I will say I was hoping for just a tiny bit more:

Dell Studio Hybrid gets reviewed, does alright

For a HTPC, would need to be able to do HD really well.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

They remind me more of those portable hard drives rather than HTPCs...:)

*reads review*

*finishes reading...but doesn't find review with details*

Uh...where's the actual review?

Edit: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326613,00.asp

There's a small READ link in the lower left of the page Bam linked to. It leads to PCMag. No surprise.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I believe there is a certain point to where, if a desktop PC is that size, it's probably just worth it to get a laptop.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

But laptop parts aren't that easy to come by. And not everything is replaceable by the end-user.

Besides for HTPCs, you don't need that lappy screen since you have a big screen (or not so big screen) TV.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              But laptop parts aren't that easy to come by. And not everything is replaceable by the end-user.

Besides for HTPCs, you don't need that lappy screen since you have a big screen (or not so big screen) TV.
              On second thought, this thing may be better used as an appliance PC, or something to throw in the stereo rack, etc. Though with integrated graphics... I don't know about that. I think HD content, especially for Blu-Ray, would be under some SERIOUS scrutiny to see if it drops frames or lags. For recorded content... the 5400rpm drive? That's not very useful.

So far as user-serviceability, parts, and expansion are concerned... most people don't bother with expanding more than RAM or a HDD, so really, expandability doesn't matter as much and it doesn't appear to be any more expandable than a laptop. If the warranty is up, they'll purchase a new computer. Same as if they had a laptop.

It WOULD be pretty decent as a SageTV client with a server in the closet, or a media extender. Oh wait, no, they put the kabosh on 'sled. :)
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I remember back in the 70's during the first gas crisis, a comedian remarking on how cars were getting smaller and smaller: "I put out my hand to signal a turn, and one shot up my sleeve!"
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                  On second thought, this thing may be better used as an appliance PC, or something to throw in the stereo rack, etc. Though with integrated graphics... I don't know about that. I think HD content, especially for Blu-Ray, would be under some SERIOUS scrutiny to see if it drops frames or lags. For recorded content... the 5400rpm drive? That's not very useful.

So far as user-serviceability, parts, and expansion are concerned... most people don't bother with expanding more than RAM or a HDD, so really, expandability doesn't matter as much and it doesn't appear to be any more expandable than a laptop. If the warranty is up, they'll purchase a new computer. Same as if they had a laptop.

It WOULD be pretty decent as a SageTV client with a server in the closet, or a media extender. Oh wait, no, they put the kabosh on 'sled. :)
                  That's true. I had the DIYers in mind when I made my comments seeing how I'm seeing more and more people trying their hands at building their own systems and most of them are interested in configuring a HTPC.

As for BRs and such, I guess better discrete graphics would be needed since people output to a large flat-screen nowadays (with 1366 x 7xx being common).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the review states that it has a intel 965 integrated gfx but dell site says x3100, what nvidia or ati card is that comporable to? it also has the option for a blu ray, can the gfx even play HD content seemlessly? how many fps when playing minesweep? solitare?