Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another New Computer Build Thread....Comments please! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another New Computer Build Thread....Comments please! :)

Here is my current rig, I've had it about 6 years:

Dell Dimension 8300
    Pentium 4 w/HT 2.6Ghz
    1.5 GB Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 6200
    NEC DVD+RW
    LiteOn DVD-ROM
    Creative SB Live! (WDM)
    XP Home Edition V2002 SP2

New Rig:
    Case: Antec Three Hundred

CPU: Intel C2Q Q9300 2.5Ghz

CPU Cooler: SUGGEST A GOOD ONE

Motherboard: Asus P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX

Ram: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 <--This has changed.

Video Card: ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 <---This has changed.

HDD: WD Caviar 500GB

PSU: Antec NeoPower 650W

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570

Optical Drive: Pioneer 20X DVD+/- DVD

Case Fans X2: Scythe S-Flex 120MM Case Fan

Operating System: Vista 32 or Vista 64?

Here is what I'll be doing with it:
    Casual Gamer, I play BF2142 & will migrate to BF3, Spore and maybe some others
    Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom (Amateur digital photog)
    General web surfing, word processing, spreadsheets, etc..
    Some web design, nothing crazy
    Maybe some BF videos

I don't need to do any Overclocking or anything, I'm just a casual computer user.

Please leave comments and suggested changes.

Thanks for looking!!!
    Last edited by Global.Cooling; 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM. Reason: Updated components

Re: Yet Another New Computer Build Thread....Comments please! :)

A few suggestions for you. If you don't plan on overclocking then stick with the stock cooler, if you want to buy a cooler buy one that holds a 92mm or 120mm fan. They can spin slower, hence quieter then an 80mm fan for better cooling.

Ram, I have never heard of A-Data. I would suggest first checking the motherboard site to see what ram is combatible and pick from that list. 2x2GB is a good choice and companies like OCZ and Corsair or a solid choice.

Video card, I would skip the 8800GT at this point and grab the 4850, better performance for roughly the same price. If you like nvidia then grab the 9800GTX+ (note the + sign).

I would suggest vista 64, it will allow you to use all your ram etc.

Comment

The A-data red flagged for me also when I browsed the list. Would suggest a more reputable company.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I'm running that 8800gt with 2gb RAM (otherwise a pretty bad system) with 2142 maxed out with 30-40 fps. Conan runs with 5-15 fps in cities and anywhere from 20-100 in different zones, this is standrad medium settings.

I'd say the 8800gt is ok for now but in a while it will lag behind soon I'd personally spend a bit more and go for something chunkier. I'm a bit annoyed I didn't now, I have it about 2-3 months.

I don't really have much experience to suggest anything else.

Comment

Stock CPU cooler and Vista 64. I have never used a 64 bit version b4 becuz I didn't think 32 bit programs ran on 64 bit. The 4850 or even the 4870 will serve u well.

Comment

Go with 64-bit Vista. You'll be able to use all 4 GBs of RAM.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Longbow pretty much said it all.

A-Data is actually a decent memory maker, but just average. They usually score near the bottom in a memory roundup review. I would go with something like Longbow said, and one that has a lifetime warranty. Nice thing about newegg is they link you to that info right under the picture on the product page.

I am going to say a big NO on the sound card though. Even if you are just a casual gamer, anything below the Xtreme gamer seems to have even more problems and limitations. Forums are full of people that bought even the Xtreme Music version and find out it won't do a lot of the stuff they thought it would. And since you seem to be a creative person, like making movies and stuff, you are also going to want a good soundcard.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102006
              That card actually goes on sale for near $50 all the time (paid that for mine), and I have seen it on sale that cheap at Circuit City a few times also. Rather than the card you have listed even, I would just use the onboard audio for a while till you can catch the Xtreme gamer on sale. I did that, and the onboard was decent enough to get me though the month or so.

Since I'm sure your current system makes your frustrated when trying to do something like make a movie, just wait till you try it with the q9300. It will be such a joy you will want to do it more often. And depending on when exactly you are going to build, the prices on the quads is supposed to drop soon, so you can get the 9300 cheaper, or move up to the 9450 for near the price the 9300 is now.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115042

Other changes you made look good. Just an extra tip, even if you go with the stock intel cooler, you might want to get some good aftermarket thermal paste, because even that tiny step will help cool your CPU better.

And might consider getting a 2nd optical drive, like a cheap $20 Sata DVD-Rom drive, so you won't have to constantly be changing out disks. Saves a lot of hassle for me anyway.

And make sure you look at the rebates carefully, so you don't end up missing out on getting it in. You have to click on the link to check the dates, but it can save you from loosing like $40 if it ends before you can send the rebate stuff in.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I will get rid of the sound card and keep watching the other one.

Also, I've upgraded the PSU (Combo that saved money) to a Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V

And I'm adding this second optical drive: LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM. I too find it convenient on my current system to have two drives.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Comment

Two drives. Welcome to the club. ;)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Oh I have two now!

I ordered the rig.....so hopefully by Monday I'll get it!

If I have any ?'s I'll post them here.....this is my first build! :)

Comment

Congrats! And good luck on your first build.

Just remember to wear a anti-static strap when you're building. And try not to build over carpet if you can (if you have to, wear the strap).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Congrats! And good luck on your first build.

Just remember to wear a anti-static strap when you're building. And try not to build over carpet if you can (if you have to, wear the strap).
                        I was going to make some comment about strap-ons but realised it was the wrong forum :row__635:

Be sure to ground your self against the case constantly. Every time I grab something or move I touch the metal case.

Comment

I bought a Monsoon MACS cooler for my CPU. It was expensive, but far less so than water cooling. I massively overclock, summers get ridiculously hot, and the air conditioning in the dorms goes out (AND I'm on the top floor...), and it's worked like a champ so far.

Comment

Okay, so I have all the parts put together!!! :) (Pics coming soon!)

Only thing I don't have is the OS (I ordered the wrong one! I'm waiting on the 64bit). Is there anything I can do until I install the OS, like configure the BIOS?

Thanks!

Comment

Cant wait to see the finish product

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X