Video Card upgrade question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card upgrade question.

Iím considering a new video card for the time being and have a question or two.

Current specs are:
    AMD Athalon 64 4000+ CPU
    2 Gig RAM
    Windows XP SP 2
    nVidia 7600 GT 256M PCI-e

Iím looking at a GeForce 9600GT 512M at around $200.00 or so
    Iíd probably have to also upgrade my power supply as I think itís only a 350W and specs for the card say 400W power supply.

Iím basically looking at the upgrade to improve the visuals for ArmedA as everything else I play runs just fine on the 7600.(except MS Flight Sim 10 which gets choppy at higher detail settings).

Right now even ArmedA doesnít run all that bad with medium settings at 800*600 (gets a wee bit choppy sometimes at higher settings).

Now Iím planning on building a complete system for ArmedA 2 and/or OFP 2 when they are released and if I think theyíre worth the cost but that looks like being about a year or so away , so am looking at this possible temporary upgrade.

From what Iíve read the 9600 GT blows the 7600 GT away in performance (being almost twice as fast) BUT is my CPU a bottleneck?

Would the Athalon 64 4000 not allow the card to perform up to itís full capabilities?

Would I notice any significant graphical performance difference?

Txs .
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Video Card upgrade question.

I would say with that system you should want to make your CPU the bottleneck. And you can do that pretty cheaply. The only question is do you want to go ahead and upgrade the power supply (which you are going to need to do) so that you can reuse it in your next fully new rig, or do you want to just get one to get by on for now. The difference is going to be about $50 give or take, but spending the extra $$ would save you from having to spend a full $125 or so when you upgrade again later. A good one to allow for your upgrade, but maybe not future upgrades, would be about $75. DO NOT BUY A PSU FROM THE STORE. Before i knew what I was doing I bought one at bestbuy, and it was a complete rip off. Paid like $75 for one I could have got for $30 on newegg. (this was like 6 years ago when I upgraded to a 9800pro :D)

And you can get the 9600GT for about $100 after rebates now, so not sure where you are looking and see it for $200, unless it is at like bestbuy or something. I know some other guys I suggested the 9600GT to for ARMA were very happy with it. We talked about it in the ARMA general forum. But considering the price between the 9600GT and 8800GT is almost the same now, mabey $25 for an overclocked one, you may end up being able to hold off longer on the full system upgrade by going with the 8800GT, or even better would be spending $160 on the ATI 4850. That would let you play ARMA very with most settings cranked up high, as well as the other games that are soon to be released. I think it would do pretty well with ARMA2 also.

Let us know what you think about those thoughts, and we can find you the best deals.
    Especially a decision about the power supply.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks for the feed back but I'm still a bit confused.

Plans are eventually to build a complete new box and pass this one over to the wife (she plays NWN on it). If I were to drop in a good PSU , I could always swap them out at time of rebuild.

But my main question is .. will the Athalon 64 4000+ be a bottle neck and not allow the 9600 to perform to its full capabilities?.

Oh and did some checking around and did find the card cheaper if I decide to go for it.
      [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

double post..oopps...
        [CoFR] BeerHunter

Comment

We are talking about a 939 socket CPU right?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Correct - and I've got the biggest baddest one that I could get.. :D

Next upgrade will be new MB , dual(quad maybe) core CPU etc. etc. if I've got the $$'s and the game seems worth it.
            [CoFR] BeerHunter

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
              Thanks for the feed back but I'm still a bit confused.
              But my main question is .. will the Athalon 64 4000+ be a bottle neck and not allow the 9600 to perform to its full capabilities?.
              I think the point he was making was that if you got to the point where your CPU was the bottleneck of your gaming, you'd be in pretty good shape ;)
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Exactly. You want to make sure your CPU is the bottleneck. Considering the good low prices on GFX cards right now, you would want to make sure that you don't go so low that your GFX card is the bottleneck still, like it was before.

The 4000+ is a decent chip, and most games right now are more GPU bound than CPU bound. ARMA is one of them. It hardly hits my CPU, but I still don't get rock solid FPS. That means it has to be my GPU hitting it's limit. ARMA is pretty brutal on the GPU, so I would really suggest you get a good card for the experience while the market is good.

For comparision, I have a 8800GTS 640mb, which is the older version of the GTS. The 8800GT and 9600GT both came out after I bought mine, and in some tests they actually equal my card, even though I paid almost $400 at the time.

If you decide to go with the 9600GT, I would pick one of these due to their overclock and great price, as well as if one comes with a free game you would like to have anyway, like the one that comes with COD4.
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130328

For a few more bucks a little better performance, especially if you have or plan to have something like a 22" or other good monitor, get one of these 8800GT:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150254

And finally, if you can swing it and really want to get something that may help you hold off on the full upgrade for as long as possible, go with one of these new ATI 4850 for about $160:
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125224

Also, once you pick which model of card, it might be worth it for you to look at the manufactures warranty info on the cards. For instance, the EVGA has a lifetime warranty, which is always a good thing. And EVGA also has a step up program so if you decided you need more power after a month or so, you could upgrade and just pay the difference.

Any of them would be a big upgrade over what you have, you need to just decide if you want to try and hold off a bit longer or not.

Also, did you think anymore on the topic of how good an upgrade you wanted on your power supply?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks for the links. Checked them out.
                  Oh and I see what you meant about making sure the CPU was the bottleneck. Guess that's what I was asking..is it the CPU or the Video Card (in my case the 7600).
                  Sounds like it is the card and not the CPU.
                  Think I will go for the 9600GT just for the graphics performance boost it sounds like it will give me on this system.
                  As far as a power supply unit is concerned I haven't given that a lot of thought. Guess just as long as its a reasonably good one as when (or if) I build a new system then I'll spend a lot more time checking out components.
                  BTW - found a good deal for an EVGA 9600 GT on EBay (new ..not used).
                  Thanks again
                  [CoFR] BeerHunter

Comment

Just a heads up BeerHunter, there are two local (and I use the term loosely) stores you should check out. NCIX and DirectCanada

Here is a 9600GT for $159 CAD
                    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=eVGA

Here is a 4850 for $169 CAD
                    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Diamond

The $10 difference is a mute point, the 4850 is a much better performer and will last you longer.

If however you can find a good deal on the 9600GT go for it. However it better be a good deal over that 4850 to be a good value.

Here is a cheap 9600GT $122 after MIR:
                    http://www.directcanada.com/products...timedia%20Inc.

But I would still lean towards the 4850 if it were my money.

Cheers and good luck.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X