Bracing myself with vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing myself with vista

I just want to know, from what you guys have expierenced, what games have been the most pains in the ass when it comes to 64 bit Vista. I'm working on installing BF2142, something that was a headache on XP, and i want to know if i should be aware of some.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Bracing myself with vista

See, that is the funny part. All the games that have annoyances with with Vista also have a ton of problems in XP. Both BF2 and 2142 both are buggy as hell on XP, so why would anyone complain about them on Vista more. Yet, the PR.com tech help forum is full of people complaining about Vista causing it, even though they have as much experience with Vista as Mr. Fighter 99 does. I don't even waste time trying to help there anymore because it's not worth arguing with someone when they have their mind made up that it is Vista's fault. It still blows my mind that game doesn't even have widescreen support, so why would you expect it to work on a good system..............

The best thing to do with the BF stuff is to open the properties of the shortcut, and under compatibility set it to XP svrpk 2, and then check the box next to the "run as admin". Make sure you have run windows update, and on the update window hit the manual "Check for Updates" in the left hand blue/green box. That finds more than just the forced ones.

That should cut down on any problems.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just an FYI, I did have a problem with BF2 on my old Socket 939 running 2GB of RAM and Vista 64. The game wanted more RAM and stuttered a bit. That is really the only negative experience I've had with Vista so far. I lucked into an AM2 mobo and CPU for free, threw 4GB of RAM and my old video card and sound card into it and never drop below 90FPS now.
      sigpic

Comment

I haven't had any problems with any of my games on Vista.

I've run the following:
        • Counter-Strike: Source
        • Half-Life 2
        • Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
        • Half-Life 2: Episode 1
        • Halo 2
        • SW: KotoR (can't seem to move my character with keyboard...but don't think it's related to Vista)
        • ArmA: Combat Operations
        • Starcraft and Brood War
        • Sins of a Solar Empire
        • Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

I've never really had any headaches with BF2 or BF2142 on XP. I doubt I'll have a headache with them on Vista either.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

2gb of ram and 64bit vista dont mix, 64bit's main positive is the fact that it can address 128gb (or 2TB, depending on where u read ) of ram, compared to 32bit's 4gb, but at the cost of having to address everything under 4gb with an extra 32bit address line, dont quote me on this, but that is what i have come to understand