SplashTop instant-on OS hacked to run other programs, boot off flash drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SplashTop instant-on OS hacked to run other programs, boot off flash drives

We have talked about this a few times now, but it looks like other people decided to take it a step further. It says it is not easy to do right now, so I will wait till they take it a little further before I give it a try

SplashTop instant-on OS hacked to run other programs, boot off flash drives

SplashTop Instant-On Linux OS Gets Hacked to Do More Tricks

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: SplashTop instant-on OS hacked to run other programs, boot off flash drives

Isn't that the OS that is supposed to come on the SSD for ExpressGate?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

so basically you could put it on a thumbdrive and have linux run

what is ''instant on'' no boot process? i noticed a petite notebook that had instant on linux and didnt know what that really meant
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I believe it is (like ExpressGate for ASUS boards) where a stripped down version of a Linux flavor is put on a flash memory drive (SSD) (on the motherboard) so when you boot up, you can load Linux in a few seconds from the SSD and and be able to surf the web, read some files, etc without the need to log into Windows.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I loaded up express gate this morning and it was pretty nice. Though the frequency on the monitor was low and the resolution wasn't that great it ran perfectly. It bugged my eyes out without any way to up the frequency. Not really ideal for anything to me except when i have a problem I have a way to get to the internet if the comp can't boot windows. That's worth it alone.

- -

Comment

OK maybe I don't understand what's going on here, but it looks like the idea is to get a fully functional Linux distro to run off of a pen drive and run withing windows?

If that's what you want DSL has a solution for this already.

In their downloads section download the dsl-x.x-embedded.zip file and extract it to your pen drive. Click on pendrive.bat and boom it's running.

Now I just installed this and I'm not a Linux guru, but I'm having issues with getting my USB mouse to work.
            Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

This was just posted, and looks interesting. But I can't seem to find out if you can run this IN windows like you can with DSL

NimbleX : Portable Linux That's Ready to Rock

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The item that's packaged with DSL that allows it to run within windows is a program called qume, which is a hardware emulator. In theory you can run any program on qume, any version of Linux, Windows XP/Vista, but I don't know how to install it and make it run :(
                Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X