X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft: 64-bit market ready to go mainstream

This article just popped up on Hexus

Microsoft: 64-bit market ready to go mainstream

It has taken a while, but Microsoft has finally acknowledged that 64-bit Windows Vista PCs are finally ready to go mainstream.

In a tentative post at the official Windows Vista Blog, Microsoft's Chris Flores states that "there appears to be a shift taking place in the PC industry: the move from 32-bit to 64-bit PCs."

According to Flores, Microsoft has been tracking the growth of 64-bit PCs connected to Windows Update and there has been a substantial increase. In the last three months, the number of 64-bit Windows Vista PCs is said to have tripled in the US. Worldwide adoption is said to have doubled and 64-bit Windows Vista is growing much more rapidly than 32-bit, he adds.

Flores states that consumers now realise the benefits of 4GiB of memory or more. Though, stepping carefully, he adds that "if you only use your PC for a few tasks, and rarely do them at the same time, then you're unlikely to realise a measurable performance benefit today."

As a closing statement, he adds: "In the future, we expect both compatibility and performance of 64-bit PCs to continue to improve. Most hardware devices have 64-bit drivers today and most software products work unmodified because of the 32-bit emulation technology in 64-bit Windows Vista (called WOW64). But there are some gaps, especially in the long tail of the market, but we expect rapid improvement now that 64-bit PCs are getting so popular."

There we have it, folks, Windows Vista 64-bit is now officially "ready". All we need now is Microsoft's own software such as Silverlight and various Live applications to support its 64-bit operating systems.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Microsoft: 64-bit market ready to go mainstream

I wonder if TG has been a significant contributor...
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      I wonder if TG has been a significant contributor...
      Maybe, but with the OS switch from XP to vista, I suspect it's more along the lines of most PC builders using 64-bit vista because there's no appreciable difference in setup on our end for a 32-bit or 64-bit machine and it's "better" than 32-bit in that it can use more ram, has a bigger number which leads to better sales, etc.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Another article about it just posted

http://cybernetnews.com/2008/07/31/6...e-on-the-rise/

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Frankly, I don't see any reason to switch from a perfectly stable and secured WinXP OS to a unstable, resource-hungry and insecure Vista OS, let alone a 64-Bit one, were still many applications won't run.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathrael View Post
            Frankly, I don't see any reason to switch from a perfectly stable and secured WinXP OS to a unstable, resource-hungry and insecure Vista OS, let alone a 64-Bit one, were still many applications won't run.
            Grrr....get him Bamboo. Have you ever used Vista? Please people, stop with the Vista bashing.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
              Grrr....get him Bamboo. Have you ever used Vista? Please people, stop with the Vista bashing.
              Sorry, but Vista IS inferior to XP (unlike you want a lot of eyecandies, then, Vista is ok to you, but why sacrifice performance and compatibility for better graphics?). I primarily use Windows because it is a great gaming platform; if I wouldn't play games, I'd have a Mac or *NIX-OS running instead of Windows. But now, on the new Windows OS, there aren't only a lot of built-in spyware mechanisms, but if you want to play games on it, especially older ones, you have to face a lot of issues. It was already hard to get System Shock 2 running on my DualCore WinXP OS, I bet it isn't even possible to run it under Vista (or at least much more work than under XP). There are a lot of driver issues too; and as said, everything that Vista can except for the indeed nice looking GUI, XP can do too and usually can do it better.

Oh, and yes, I used Vista. Not for very long and not on my PC, but I did use it.

Comment

Edit: Decided to do a PM instead. :)
                Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 07-31-2008, 07:48 PM.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

@Nathrael

Please check your forum sig.

It is way over the forum size limit both in physical size and file size.

Please fix it so a moderator doesn't have to yank it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

nathrael: none of your arguments are valid. sorry. I turn off the eye candy in vista on one computer because it is solely for live video - but I think it only helps 1-2%. I prefer Vista over xp at this point. - mostly because it is now MORE compatible and FASTER than XP in a lot of situations. XP is a dog about giving up memory to applications - whereas Vista is a champ. Now that software vendors are spending the majority of their time coding for Vista, XP is fast becoming the harder OS to use. and BTW, I have a whole bunch of obscure and obsolete hardware - it ALL works with vista (and 95% of it works with x64.)
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Sorry, but Vista IS inferior to XP
                      That's my favorite part. So by your logic Windows 95 was inferior to Windows 3.1, and Windows 2000 was inferior to Windows 95. And of course Windows XP was inferior to Windows 2000. Your opinion is that Vista is inferior to XP.

Just stop capitalizing "IS" as if that statement were true. Are you one of those people from the Mojave Experiment? You even claim you hardly used Vista at all and not even on your own PC. Spending 5 minutes on one those crappy display computers at Best Buy does not count as actual Vista use.

Hey continue to use XP. I'm not knocking on anyone who still uses it. I loved it for the time I was on it. What we Vista users are getting sick of is the fact that people continue to bash on it, without merit, when in reality those people have never even used it, or have hardly spent significant time with it. There are no issues with it playing games. I can't attest to any older games, since all games I have are mostly new.

Comment

im getting as irritated as bamboo
                        Originally posted by Nathrael View Post
                        i went from my bsod happy, crash happy, xp pro 32bit to a completely stable, problematic free 64 bit vista, and i absolutely love it, and when i get on an xp machine, i hate it... vista isnt resource happy, it simply takes what is free, to make it faster, your ram has nothing better to do when you are idle, the keyword being IDLE, meaning you arent doing anything with it at idle... if you start a program, it will dump the resources it has in the ram that isnt necessary ( start menu is instant and doesnt have to be loaded from hard drive, along with right click menu, and my computer folder, web page tabs... all in memory so u dont have to wait 1-3 seconds for it to be queued from the hard drive)

oh, and btw... pre win2000 software tends to work better on vista than xp

why are people soooooo scared of change

the change to XP was more horrid for driver problems