Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Server Project Questions

Background

I've been mulling over the idea of having my own home server for the past few months. Now that I have my new system, I have a older system (and some other parts) left over.

Home Server Thoughts

I see two options:
    1. Build a new small form-factor machine with Windows Home Server OS to act as a dedicated home server.
    2. Try and assemble one from old parts and a with a total of about 120 GB of hard drive storage (EIDE drives) on a basic system that hails from 2000. OS will most likely be my version 7 copy of Ubuntu (32-bit) or some other Linux flavor.

I've been bouncing ideas off of Bamboo and he's helped me some and even pointed me to Windows Home Server. Unfortunately, it seems to be out of his league (and mines).

So hopefully some of you can help me out with some questions / idea exchange.

Questions

As far as I understand Windows Home Server (WHS from here on), I have it installed on a dedicated PC and it allows up to 10 clients on the network (and a guest) to connect to the server using client-based interface software to backup files and so forth.

Question 1: I have read here that WHS has a "automated backup of networked PCs".

Can I disable or turn off that feature?

Question 2: Can I simply transfer files back and forth between a networked PC and the home server, but restrict the amount of space each networked PC can use?

Question 3: Can I lock out the internet capabilities of the home server (if there is any) so that only a administrator can use the internet on the machine for Windows updates?

Question 4: Can these specs run WHS fairly well while 2-3 people on the network are transferring files back and forth with the home server?

NewEgg Wish List: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=12471527
    • ZOTAC LGA 775 Motherboard
    • Celeron E1400 (2 Ghz dual-core)
    • WD 500 GB SATAII HDD
    • 2 GB of DDR2-667 RAM
    • Lite-On DVD Burner (for backup of important data if home server crashes)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Home Server Project Questions

I'm hoping to collect a good number of responses while I'm on vacation in Canada (tonight to Thursday August 7, 2008).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Acreo,

I started doing a little google searching and wasn't able to find much, but in case no one can help you here, WHS does have their own forum on microsoft's website, they could probably help also.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsH...aspx?siteid=50
      Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

You may also want to revisit this thread :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

if your looking for a good linux solution for your serveur clarckconnect might be a good alternative

http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/features.php

they use bacula for automated backup :P

Comment

Out of curiosity, what are you using this for. Looks to me like file transfer, home business or something?

Comment

Okay, got back from Canada and got a good night's sleep. :)

I'll be using this mainly as a file/data repository. Mainly, the computers on the network will be copying files onto the home server as a backup in case something major happens to their system. Saves me from using DVDs as a backup solution.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I don't have much experience with Windows Home Server, but I was considering running it and I have a copy I'd be able to evaluate and play with.

This is when I was working on getting an install of SageTV on a load of Server 2003, to replace Vista MCE (for a myriad of reasons). However, after mucking around with Sage for hours on end, I ended up staying with MCE because it was pretty much turnkey from the start, and the "Other" was getting pissed off because while I was working on Sage precious recordings of Law & Order were being missed :D Maybe I'll play with Sage again some other time... but on to your questions to the best of my knowledge:

Question 1: I have read here that WHS has a "automated backup of networked PCs".
                Can I disable or turn off that feature?

Yes. All you would have to do, is remove the component in Add/Remove Programs, or simply Disable the service. It doesn't come pre-configured, and if you don't configure it, it doesn't work :)

Yes, you can use disk quotas on folders. When another computer is asking for access, even in a workgroup environment, unless you have it set up a certain way (and even then...) the other computers have to authenticate against it somehow. Windows Home Server, is simply a stripped-down and modified version of Server 2003 Standard. Typically how it works in a workgroup enviroment is you give every person (or in this case, computer) it's own user account and password on the server (host) and have each machine authenticate to it's own account. Then you would set quotas based on user account.

You can set up the local policy of the machine to only allow Adminstrators to download and install Windows Updates. You can also disable the internet for any user account.

This is more dependent on your network connection, than anything. Although you would be just fine with a 10/100 router, honestly, I would go spend the $30 or so on a Gigabit switch to put in the network. I certainly wouldn't run anything less, even at home, when it comes to media. That, and why not spend a couple of cheap bucks on something that'll make transfers a hell of a lot faster?

The specs that you listed, work just fine. I would most certainly be sure to stick with a dual-core processor and not step down from that.

I do this crap for a living (unfortnately) with a small company in good 'ol Silicon Valley, working with small business networks and whatnot.... so....
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Wow, thanks Spulat.

You've been very helpful in answering my questions. If I was still a SM, I'd give you a +rep, but I'll have to find someone else to do it. ;)

I think I will settle with WHS for now. I'll still look into the Linux alternatives. Many thanks to Dick for the link, since I couldn't seem to find the thread myself.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Wow, thanks Spulat.

You've been very helpful in answering my questions. If I was still a SM, I'd give you a +rep, but I'll have to find someone else to do it. ;)
                    Gotcha!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                      Gotcha!
                      Thanks P8triot! :)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        I'll still look into the Linux alternatives.
                        I don't dance, but I Samba :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Some of us (like, you know, me) wish we were Linux mavens, and try like hell to maybe one day become one :)
                          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                            Some of us (like, you know, me) wish we were Linux mavens, and try like hell to maybe one day become one :)

I'm quite happy just dabbling with this stuff :)

DB

| |

Comment

Hmm that looks good Dick. I wonder if the local DePaul Linux group might be able to help me out...
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X