Oops, i think i messed up big time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops, i think i messed up big time

So today i recieved a new stick of ram ( 1gb ) and i inserted in today while cleaning the fans and heatsink inside my computer. I had to unplug and unscrew some things but i put everything back as they are. After i was done with everything and pluged everything external and internal, i set the cpu up and pressed the power button on the case. At first i realized that the light wasnt turning on, so i replugged the power cord and double checked if i missed any cords. But than i realized something was really wrong when i heard a strange sound from the computer, it was like trying to start up but failed repeatively.The fan in the PSU and the fan on the bottom of it was twitching, but the fan that was in the middle of the mother board was spinning quietly. Idk what is the problem but ive come to believe its the power supply, I might have Unplugged some internal wires to hard or the fact that i was clumpsy with the screwdriver and damaged something. Please give ur thoughts about this situation, state the problem and solution if you can :)

Re: Oops, i think i messed up big time

Do you have another PSU lying around? Or see if you can borrow one of your friends' to test out. Just open your PC back up and go through to make sure nothing is loose first.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

That's a hard one to diagnose. Firstly, I would double check and make sure everything is seated properly, plugged in well, and theres no wires going "nowhere"

Assuming everything went well with your installation... I think the most important things would be to:

* What is your ram setup? How many sticks, what size, models
      * Brand/Model of motherboard
      * Did you turn off power prior to installation? (unplug the tower, or hit the switch at the back of your power supply)
      * Any physical damage from your screwdriver, or are you just second guessing yourself?

EDIT: Scratch the above.. I cannot read (properly)
      The fan in the PSU and the fan on the bottom of it was twitching
      If your PSU fan itself isn't spinning it sounds like you will need to replace it either way. It will not function / overheat without a proper fan.
      Where does your BIOS/startup screen get to? Or does it even show?

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
        That's a hard one to diagnose. Firstly, I would double check and make sure everything is seated properly, plugged in well, and theres no wires going "nowhere"

Assuming everything went well with your installation... I think the most important things would be to:

* What is your ram setup? How many sticks, what size, models
        * Brand/Model of motherboard
        * Did you turn off power prior to installation? (unplug the tower, or hit the switch at the back of your power supply)
        * Any physical damage from your screwdriver, or are you just second guessing yourself?

EDIT: Scratch the above.. I cannot read (properly)

If your PSU fan itself isn't spinning it sounds like you will need to replace it either way. It will not function / overheat without a proper fan.
        Where does your BIOS/startup screen get to? Or does it even show?
        Following the Current order
        * RAM Setup?, 4 sticks ( 1gb each), ddr3, 3 acers and 1 kingston
        * It says Unknown with Everest, but i bought it from the Acer Factory.
        * When i found out it wasnt working properly, i unplugged the Power cord because that was the only thing i plugged in. Theres no power switch for my PSU, at least i dont think so. Must be that little switch thats covered in plastic.
        * Not that i know of that i can see because its really hard to tell with all the mircoscopic chips and stuff, i dropped the screwdriver once while unscrewing the large cone fan in the middle of the cpu. Others might be dropping screws and unplugging this 1 wire (didnt come off and plugged it back) too but i doubt it.

The screen is black as i would have thought and to get more specific about the fanning problem, the PSU fan is spinning quietly without forcing any air out every 2 secs, as if it was turning on and off. The fan at the bottom of it next to all the USB plugs is not even turning, its twitching like there was somthing blocking even tho noting is there. The fan in the middile is spinning softly without any sound. The CPU makes a restarting noise like it was powering up but than shuts off softly repeatly. I can smell something strange when i poke my head in, i can't really describe what it is but i know its not toast. Its like hot plastic, the smell of a warm computer.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
          Do you have another PSU lying around? Or see if you can borrow one of your friends' to test out. Just open your PC back up and go through to make sure nothing is loose first.
          Good thing i have another working computer thats the same model that i can test with. The only things that are probably loose are the screws attaching the large cone fan to a heatsink.

Comment

a bad stick of ram will make that happen.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

nope, i tried a couple of things like unplugging the ram and pressing the power button but than a cable lit on fire. what i will do now is transfer my motherboard and mostly everything to another computer case with a new PSU

Comment

a...

cable...

lit...

on...

FIRE........

well, I think we have found your problem.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Wow that's a new one. If you were thinking about it don't open your PSU.. If the warnings stickers were not obvious enough. ;)

Comment

None of us techies ever pay attention to those warning stickers.:row__577: A cable lit on fire, out of curiosity what did you do about that??

As to your title of this thread, I believe that you did mess up big time. :P

Comment

I didnt open the PSU, even the cable was connected to the PSU. With luck on my side, i came to realize that the cable wasnt much use to me anyways. The problem ISNT the PSU either bc when i switched it with the exact one , it had the same problem. This problem is a lost cause. No1 in the world can fixed this problem, so i just took out the important parts like my ram and video card and insert it into another computer. I wanted to transplant my hard drive ( with PR) into the other computer but for some reason it gave me the blue screen of death. I also wanted to move my Intel Q6600 quad core into the computer but i can't find where to put it. The computer i was going to put it in had no where to put it!!! I think its under the main heatsink but it doesnt detach. So the two most important parts of my broken computer cant work with the other one. How messed up is that? So any suggestions on this mystery problem? Can we solve it without relying on the Geek Squad that cost $279 just to check up? or should forget this metal corpse and get a new one?

Comment

Sounds like you need a new Motherboard, when you dropped your screwdriver you might have damaged it. Can't believe you dropped your screwdriver!!!

Comment

i dropped it from 4 inches off the motherboard.. didnt think that would do that much

Comment

I'm still confused to exactly what's wrong. A fried MB would not cause a cable to light on fire. There's soo many variables now, it may be best to get someone to look at it.

Comment

what was the wire connected to?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse