X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount ISO Images in XP & Vista

Link:
    Mount ISO Images in XP & Vista

Thought I would pass this on to anyone interested.

One trend that Iíve noticed as bandwidth and hard drive storage space continues to grow is that sending CD/DVDís over the Internet is becoming a preferred way for distributing media. These files are typically in an ISO or BIN/CUE format, which most people will then burn to a CD/DVD before using them. The good news is that you can easily save the time and money involved in doing this by using a free virtual drive application.

How do you mount an ISO image? Itís actually really simple if you have the right tools. What they do is take an ISO image, BIN/CUE file, or any other supported format and displays it as a virtual drive on your computer. The drive will look just like any other CD drive in Windows Explorer. One of the huge benefits of doing this is that reading/copying files from the ďCDĒ in this way is much faster than using a physical CD-ROM drive.

There are several free applications floating around the Internet that can do this, but you should be aware that some of them (Daemon Tools, etc..) might install spyware/malware on your machine. Luckily there are three great freeware solutions that you can trust, and thatís what weíre going to cover today.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Mount ISO Images in XP & Vista

I've been using a minimalist one from MS to access the installer DVD ISO for Visual Studio 2008.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...olpanel_21.exe

I use Daemon Tools at home to mount a "mini image" of the BF1942 CD. This emulates the copy protection so I can keep the real disk safely in its sleeve. I wish I'd bought ETQW and Bioshock through Steam so I don't have to use their disks to play those games. I'm now avoiding games that use disk-based copy protection and will look to Steam first for anything I buy in the future.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I posted about it for that reason Scratch. I was about to get into it a couple months ago because I was so sick of swaping out ARMA/GRAW2/BF2/CRYSIS that I was thinking of adding a 3rd DVD drive.

But since the last ARMA patch you don't need to have the disk in anymore (ARMA ftw!!!), and GRAW2 and Crysis suck, so now I don't have to switch disks very often.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Good post, I'll be sure to check it out.

I use ImgBurn and MagicISO, but noticed when I mounted the ISO image of 2142 in Magic, that it still asked for the disc...
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I use DaemonTools for simple ISOs and PowerISO for the other types of images that Daemon doesnt support. I also used to have a trial of a software called GameJackal which basically did everything for you and then launched your games like Steam does. It was pretty cool but the full version cost money.

Comment

Article said Daemon tools might install spyware/malware on your machine.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
              I posted about it for that reason Scratch. I was about to get into it a couple months ago because I was so sick of swaping out ARMA/GRAW2/BF2/CRYSIS that I was thinking of adding a 3rd DVD drive.

But since the last ARMA patch you don't need to have the disk in anymore (ARMA ftw!!!), and GRAW2 and Crysis suck, so now I don't have to switch disks very often.
              Have they removed the Starforce from ARMA yet? That was always a game that interested me but I've lost a DVD drive to Starforce and won't buy another product that includes it.
              sigpic

Comment

Actually, I read on a forum yesterday that a recent patch removed it, but since it is still on the disk it might be the cause of some people's crashing. I am having crashing problems, but every time I get it showing that it is Nvidia's fault. (see my current other thread)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Only the PRO "basic" version installs adware, and that can be remedied if you opt to buy the PRO "standard" version.

Daemon tools lite, which probably suffices for most people does not install anything.

A comparison between versions here:

http://www.disc-soft.com/faq#faq01

Comment

When the author first added that, to cover his bandwidth costs, he explained on the website somewhere what to do to not install it. I don't know if he still does that.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I used (and sometimes still do) DaemonTools a lot for the games where I wasn't able to burn a copy of the original but didn't want to game with the original for fear of scratching it.

As for spyware and DaemonTools, I haven't encountered spyware installations. Mostly just adware.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I used DaemonTools for a long time when ever I wanted to mount images of a disc. Back when I first got BF2, I mounted a mini image and kept my disc safely put up. Actually I have the 5 disc Deluxe Edition of BF2 which came on 5 disc. I got tired of using all 5 disc and ended up making just one install DVD out of the 5 disc. That way I never even have to break out the original disc at all even to install. Just use my self made DVD installer and a mini image.
                        I also use PowerISO for making my own disc or sometimes I will mount images with it. Spulat, there are a lot of games that mini images won't work with. If you probably made your own FULL image it may work but not positive. A seen quite a few people complaining cause BF2142 does not have a mini image that would actually work with any virtual drive software but I did read one article claiming that a full disc image will work, my thoughts are if I can't use a mini image then I might as well use the actual disc. EA says they only charge like $5 for replacement disc if you should happen to damage or lose the original disc, you just have to have the original CD-Key that came with it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X