Looking to build a new desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to build a new desktop

Having had 2 years of trouble with my hp pavilion laptop, I've decided I should build myself a hardcore gaming desktop (that I don't intend to replace for years). I am by no means a computer wiz, but I have done some custom building in the past, and I am hoping I can get some help from you guys. This is not going to be an immediate purchase, but I would like to be buying stuff by about Christmas. My top price is about 2 grand, but I would sure like it to be cheaper.

I've made a rough list of parts from newegg , but they are by no means final.

Mobo:
    EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard
    The board is currently decided by the processor and graphics card, I would consider using an intel chipset, and and maybe a radeon card, though it would betray my roots as a nvidia fanboy.
    PSU:
    COOLMAX CUQ-1200B 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M
    Graphics card:
    BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024H2OCWE GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    I would like to stick with nvidia, though I understand that some people are having trouble with their chipsets, and that the ati offerings are better at the moment. If someone could make clear what kind of problems people are having, and give some incite as to whether it is worth the switch it would be great.
    Memory:
    Patriot Viper 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS32G2000LLKN
    I've read some mixed things about ddr3, it is clearly very overpriced, but also the only thing the mother board supports. If I went with a different board I would consider ddr2.
    HD: Fujitsu MBA3073RC 73.5GB 15000 RPM Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Hard Drive
    Cooling: I would like to do watercooling, but I have no idea at all as to what the best components to get would be.
    Case: I already have a large alluminum case from a computer I built years ago.
    Last edited by Adiventure; 08-05-2008, 01:29 PM.

Re: Looking to build a new desktop

That is a gigantic PSU! I'd suggest maybe the OCZ Gamextreme 700W or something similar.

Also, been seeing people around here saying that the NV chipset on their motherboards aren't too great. Unless you're planning on SLI for some reason, go for something made by Intel.

Comment

Yeah. The chipset issues with Nvidia are on their Nforce motherboards. I would stay away from the 790i and go for an intel chipset as well. Graphics cards I think the ATI cards are currently performing a little better, but other than that there's no real reason to stay away from the Geforce 2xx line, afaik.

I would absolutely stay away from watercooling. It has almost no benefits (IMO) and will be one major headache. Stick with a standard HSF setup.

Don't know anything about that PSU. I'd probably recommend you look at some from OCZ/PCP&C.

Also, if it's a Christmas purchase you may want to look into the new line of Intel CPU's that are coming out (Sept?).

my .02
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Adiventure,
        Welcome to the forum. Lot of people here are happy to help you.
        Couple of things though. First, it is way to early to be planning a Christmas rig. There is going to be a ton of new stuff out by then, including Intel's next gen CPUs. And along with that the q6600 will have gone end of life by then (I think it is in early Nov.), and it's replacement, the q9450, will have dropped in price to probably the mid $200s range.

On top of that Nvidia should have done a rumored refresh of its lineup using a smaller/better gpu shrink, and a bunch of other new cards will be out by Christmas.
        We will also know better to choose ATI or Nvidia by then because a bunch of new much anticipated games will be out over the next few months, and we will see how they perform.

And considering you have a killer rig set up listed, you should just be looking at 4 gigs of RAM only. 2 gigs would be a choke point. And DDR3 will be even cheaper and more mainstream by then as well, making it a good possible option.

But, really good news is your $2000 is overkill. With our help here we will keep you way below that and still have a killer rig.

So my suggestion is if you really are going to hold off building for a few months, keep reading here in the fourms to keep up to date with all the latest news, and post again or revive this thread when you feel you are getting closer.

By the way, what games do you play now?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Water cooling is definitely feasible. One of my main reasons for wanting to do it is making my system much quieter. My 8800 GT can get very loud.

Also, as Bamboo has said, things will change a bunch between now and the winter. Read up and teach yourself what to look for in components.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            Adiventure,
            Welcome to the forum. Lot of people here are happy to help you.
            Couple of things though. First, it is way to early to be planning a Christmas rig. There is going to be a ton of new stuff out by then, including Intel's next gen CPUs. And along with that the q6600 will have gone end of life by then (I think it is in early Nov.), and it's replacement, the q9450, will have dropped in price to probably the mid $200s range.
            By the way, what games do you play now?
            I probably could have phrased it better, December is about when I would like to have a fully functioning gaming desktop, as I know I will have to send my surprisingly capable laptop back for service (it's a bit too late to do it now, and know it will be back before classes start again) to fix the things hp tech support failed to fix this last time I sent it in. I would be perfectly happy to purchase the thing now, but I know I wouldn't get the best bang for my buck, and I don't need (at least during the summer), two computers, not to mention various funding issues commonly found amongst college students. I do however completely get your point about timing, and I am sure I am being a fair bit hasty.

Currently I am playing a fair bit of bf2 and PR, tf2, CSS, the occasional crysis match, and starting in a few days stalker and cod4 (need to wait for a new activation code for my probably legal, borrowed from a friend copies).

I must also say, you guys are amazingly fast on the response.

Ps: I just noticed the memory issue, I coppied the majority of the list from my newegg wishlist, and forgot to include the quantity (2) that I had.

Comment

Well just post back when you are ready to say "OK, this week I'm buying the motherboard (etc.)" and we will dig you up the best deals. Keep an eye out also for when we post super deals here in the forums, like the other day when I put up 1 with a really good deal on RAM for like $20 or something.

A suggestion about the 2X2gig kits of RAM. Some boards don't really like having all 4 slots filled and can actually run slower than if you go with a just 4 gig kit. And considering the prices, it is pretty much the same. Also that allows you room to add more RAM if for some reason a couple years from now games are able to suck down 4+ gigs. That would be fine with me considering the prices right now, as long as it gives us the eye candy to go with it.

Also, we are pretty much all about bang for buck here (what, you got a money tree in the back yard or somethin' ?). I would consider the 280 about the least bang for buck GFX card out there. About mid month the 4870X2 cards will be out, and they are supposed to be about the same price and be faster than the 280. Also, Nvidia isn't sitting back and is supposed to have an X2 card out soon too.

And regardless of fanboyism, the market changes, and companies lead for a while, till they get bumped. ATI seems to have done it in the past couple months to Nvidia, just like AMD did it to Intel a few years ago and now Intel has come back. Just got to buy what is best now, and most tech sites and forums say the same thing mentioned above about the Nvidia motherboards. You might not have any problems, but chances are you run less of a risk with an Intel p45 or x48 motherboard.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

definitly go with 4gb (or 8 if you are going vistax64, which i reccomend) and make sure you have a scuzzy card, which are spendy with that hard drive, or, by december, i expect SSD will come down in price, so just get a 64 or 128gb ssd instead of scsi, which i think is overkill imho,

DO NOT GET 790i chipset...... problematic, bad bad bad... as for the gtx280, thats 600 for a card that will be obsolete(too harsh a word) by then (8800gtx came out 1 year before the gtx280 and in december, the 8800gt was half the price with 20% less spec, and the 8800gts g92 was even closer) id get an ati 4870x2 which will be out by then and stompin the crap out of the 280