Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heads UP! Multi GPU vid card problem! Buyer beware!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads UP! Multi GPU vid card problem! Buyer beware!

I had my eye on the ATI 4870 X2. Not cause I'd buy it anytime soon, just cause I love it when technology becomes more efficient and less costly! In this case it's the multi GPU or graphics processing units running cooler and more efficient in this card than Nvidias single GPU 200 series cards. The problem with any multi GPU set up including Crossfire and SLI and the Nvidia 9800GTX (only in SLI x3)is a problem called micro stuttering that hasn't been ironed out yet so buyer beware!
    http://www.pcghx.com/aid,653711/Practic ... D_4870_X2/
    This is a earlier article on the same prob!
    http://www.pcghx.com/aid,631668/Practic ... hnologies/
    Although the FPS is reading high it's really not always working better than a single card/GPU solution with a lower FPS reading! This is not to be confused with bad driver support or wrong SLI / Crossfire configuration which is a known problem with multi video cards run in SLI or Crosssfire. Apparently though from the second article, micro stuttering is much more noticable when the card is experiencing low frame rates which for the ATI 4870 X2 would be the next generation of games or current games not optimised for multi GPU's. It's just a matter of getting the word out so the problem is not swept under the rug in the excitement of the new technology! ATI can address the problem with a hardware change and those that rush in and purchase this version will miss out or they can keep attempting to fix it with new drivers as games and consumers demand stability. At present in my opinion one good card with one good GPU is the most stable choice while these companies work fervantly developing and competing against each other unless you can afford this ATI prototype with awesome potential!

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X