Purchasing a gaming lcd monitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a gaming lcd monitor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When purchasing a monitor most folks just look at the specs and purchase but because of the many variations in brands and models and the continual experimentation and proprietary additions this is not advisable. The TN style panel (behind your monitor screen)is the cheapest at the moment. There are more expensive technologies (PVA etc.). http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ The object (to me) is to spend the least amount for the best while this technology is perfected! We as gamers are looking for the best pixel response time, reactivity to your input devices and color representation (especially proper grey and blacks for night scenes!). I discovered there are some 2ms monitors that actually have more input lag than advertised 5ms monitors. The added features can also cause motion blur in fast paced games making a 2ms perform like a 5ms monitor! You see ,this is why your research before purchase is essential. These companies are doing so much experimentation that you can find a monitor with all the specs you want and yet they may have added a new proprietary "color gamut" that actually causes more motion blur and input lag! This is especially important to you if your a FPS style online gamer! In one article I read ,a Samsung spokesman said the normal user doesn't need to know all the specifics! The Samsung 226BW is considered a great gaming monitor. Unfortunately Samsung used five different stlye panels in that model and the non Samsung panels were inferior. Of course Samsung sent the good monitors for review. Now fortunately good reviewers are starting to review each version. http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358-2683-36.html What Samsung has done is release the 226CW with a guaranteed Samsung panel inside but also added the new color gamut which causes the motion blur and input lag that we gamers don't want. Another thing I read is that the 24 inch monitors aren't perfected enough to display non native resolution games without the lag although the 22 inch monitors can for now but again it depends which one you choose. Here are some links for research:

1- http://www.behardware.com/articles/6...-3rd-wave.html

2- http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6 compare monitor test results

3- http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358.html

4- http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;266802985

5- http://www.dataproductservices.com/dpt links to a site with a free program to test for dead pixels on your monitor.

6- http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ link to check lcd monitor

Of course Google search is your friend in this process. I actually hung out at Best Buy for about 70 minutes researching model number variations because after I did my homework and knew which one I wanted, lo and behold they had that model with new and improved added features which added more input lag!I apologise if I didn't explain more about black levels and night scenes of our favorite games in this sticky. In Arma night scenes (or any other night games),if the scripters meant you to see different levels of grey and black and your only seeing black ink splotches, that's one problem. Actual static contrast ratio and not the advertised contrast ratio is what's important and this is why (if it matters to you) your research before purchase is important. Now I understand someone could be perfectly satisfied with a totally inferior monitor and still have a bunch of fun gaming but this research is for those who understand what they'll be missing with a inferior monitor with a quality name. Concerning reactivity and response time of your hardware, this will be more important to you if you like the faster FPS style games. Some actually shy away from these games because they're being bottlenecked by a inferior monitor with advertised 2ms response that is actually functioning with much more of a delay because the response time being advertised isn't the actual reactivity of the monitor. They get online and figure the playing field is even yet CRT's and LCD's that have great reactivity will give a advantage over a input lagging motion blurring monitor! The funny thing of this is (I think) digitalversus did a review on the LG I decided on http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358-3450-35.html (after all my research and final choice)and said it's the most reactive out there but they panned the color rendering of it. I tried thier color profile and I don't like thier taste! I love the default color profile of this LG. Reactivity is reactivity but color opinions are in the eye of the beholder! LOL. Neverthless I without a doubt am a better COD4 online player than I was before with this monitor. It does make a difference ,it's just that the manufacturers aren't specifically targeting gamers yet. My opinion $269.00 final cost for this LG is a good investment as they perfect the technology. Beware: None of these companies are above changing specs on a particular model number which is another thing to look for even if a particular model gets a good review!

Re: Purchasing a gaming lcd monitor?

curtagain, you might want to break that post up into smaller paragraphs. Kind of hard to read for some folks.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I gave up after the 3rd row.

Comment

Maybe a sweet and loving forum moderator could fix it?

If not, I just used the mouse/drag selection thing to read it. Just like you were selecting something to cut and paste, but use it to read. :D

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Nope, can't do it my eyes start to cross, made me sick to my tummy!!!

Comment

I bought a 24" Samsung 2493HM. Not too bad. It's weird that the buttons are sensors instead of buttons so I can never tell if I'm touching the right spot. It rotates, tilts, and swivels. The viewing angle is great and I don't have any ghosting.

I didn't really look at the specs much. Everybody is concerned with response times and ghosting but I find you have to get a really crappy monitor to notice it. When in doubt, look at it in store because your eyes won't lie.

Hrm... I skimmed the post and I think I noticed you already bought the monitor and this thread is really about how to buy a monitor. Ok then... a monitor isn't too hard to buy. Just look at it in store and check if it has all the kinds of inputs you want. Then read some reviews.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What about using a 37"/42" LCD1080p for gaming? I'm going to be purchasing one in a couple months.

Comment

Watch for the contrast levels. My LCD TV (32" Proview 1360x768) is a great TV, but less than awesome black levels (600:1 contrast ratio, iirc). Which means that on darker maps in POE2 for instance, I have a hard time seeing anything indoors.

What I'm curious about is using the new 1080p 100 or 120 Hz (as opposed to the standard 60 Hz) HDTVs as monitors. I'd love to see some benchmarks or impressions of that. Is it worth (in terms of real world perception/performance) the price premium for the 120 Hz?
                Beatnik

Comment

I recommened my old roommate buy a 120Hz Samsung 2 weeks ago, and I have only seen PS3 games and DVDs on it, but it was mind blowing good. I am having an extremely hard time not going out and buying one right now.

Also, I would start looking for a video card with an HDMI out or a HDMI converter plug if you are thinking of trying this.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                    I bought a 24" Samsung 2493HM. Not too bad. It's weird that the buttons are sensors instead of buttons so I can never tell if I'm touching the right spot. It rotates, tilts, and swivels. The viewing angle is great and I don't have any ghosting.

I didn't really look at the specs much. Everybody is concerned with response times and ghosting but I find you have to get a really crappy monitor to notice it. When in doubt, look at it in store because your eyes won't lie.

Hrm... I skimmed the post and I think I noticed you already bought the monitor and this thread is really about how to buy a monitor. Ok then... a monitor isn't too hard to buy. Just look at it in store and check if it has all the kinds of inputs you want. Then read some reviews.
                    I bought the monitor after doing a considerable amount of research and returning one

Samsung dud for a full refund to Best Buy. I shared my final choice not to promote it but to

share with friends my experience.

How's the input lag on your monitor? In other words is the monitor you chose doing so

much giving you a great color gamut that your at a disadvatage against real players in

multiplayer games? Even though it may be a great looking display how well does it display

grey scale in dark night scenes where the scriptors meant for you to see the grey levels.

Hopefully you got a quality monitor for your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      curtagain, you might want to break that post up into smaller paragraphs. Kind of hard to read for some folks.
                      Sad. That's just the way these forums show text. Now i can't access my own post

because the edit option isn't in it. I would have at least put a space between each line as I

am now. Oh well. I'm a little(NOT) sad concerning some of the replies. I

mean I totally researched my computer build and for about 2 and a half years my cheap

ass monitor was bottlenecking me and I didn't even realize it. So I thought I'd share with

my friends in different forums my experience but this is the first place I've got no postive

feedback. Sorry for the tight text of the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
                        What about using a 37"/42" LCD1080p for gaming? I'm going to be purchasing one in a couple months.
                        If it's a HDTV, I would look closer at the specs.

Namely...
                        • Refresh rates (72 hz and higher is best)
                        • Native and maximum supported resolutions (critical for computer use)
                        • Contrast ratio (mentioned already by someone)
                        • Dot pitch. Not too sure if this is as important anymore
                        • Adjustability. This is a big one. Make sure something that big is adjustable.
                        • Port options. Bamboo already mentions this. The display should at least have a DVI port. VGA subs aren't as important anymore and usually there are cheap adapters for DVI-to-VGA.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          If it's a HDTV, I would look closer at the specs.

Namely...
                          • Refresh rates (72 hz and higher is best)
                          • Native and maximum supported resolutions (critical for computer use)
                          • Contrast ratio (mentioned already by someone)
                          • Dot pitch. Not too sure if this is as important anymore
                          • Adjustability. This is a big one. Make sure something that big is adjustable.
                          • Port options. Bamboo already mentions this. The display should at least have a DVI port. VGA subs aren't as important anymore and usually there are cheap adapters for DVI-to-VGA.
                          Input lag is very important if your going to use the TV for online First Person Shooter multiplayer. It may look great and cause a lot of ohs and ahs but input lag sucks! Also a 20 foot shielded Rosewell HDMI to DVI cable from Newegg can be purchased for about 20 bucks..
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812119234
                          Last edited by curtagain; 08-07-2008, 10:37 PM. Reason: newegg link added

Comment

Originally posted by curtagain View Post

my friends in different forums my experience but this is the first place I've got no postive

feedback. Sorry for the tight text of the original post.

Curtagain, I found your post helpful, as I am sure a lot of other people did as well. I made my comment about breaking it up some because on a widescreen monitor a huge block of text like that is extremely hard to keep your place while reading.

I'm not sure if you were looking for a direct reply from someone saying thank you for posting, but you kind of have to take it as a good karma post. You posted something to help others out, and I am sure that it did, regardless of if they actually said it. So a +1 goes up in your good karma box. :row__523:

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The average internet user has a attention span of 6 seconds.

So a big block of text like that (on 4:3 / 5:4 ratio monitors) quickly loses people. If you've taken any technical writing course (or have experience), breaking it into concise paragraphs, use of bold text, bullet points, etc. is often best.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X