Nvidia 9800 GT vs GTX 260

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia 9800 GT vs GTX 260

Looks like (from the nvidia site) the 260 might be a little better than the 9800 gt but they are both so similar. The 9800 gt has higher clock speeds but the 260 has higher cores and higher interface width.

I'm looking to get a new computer around december so the prices between the 2 might change by then but currently I'm looking at around a $200 price difference off alienware (which is where I'm getting my computer from, easy customization and they are owned by dell anyways. I will ignore anything you have to say about buying from there simply because I don't care. I've already checked prices between alienware and NCIX and alienware was cheaper overall with everything being exactly the same.)

I could get dual 9800 gt's for the exact same price as getting one 260 off alienware so that is also something to think about. Is it better to get 1 9800, 2, or just 1 260. (I am looking for a total computer price under/around $1500 so these card choices fit in well.)
    Last edited by Pistolfied; 08-06-2008, 06:24 PM.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Re: Nvidia 9800 GT vs GTX 260

You can stop reading now if you can't handle the truth, but Alienware is a joke played on rich kids that don't have the TG hardware forum to open their eyes and help them build a killer gaming rig. In fact, the only good thing about AW is they have interesting looking cases.

Other than that, they are so overpriced it makes me barf a little and swallow it again.

As a point of interest to help show you this, see this post:
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ml#post1048604

So they are probably trying to sell you 2 8800GT's with new stickers on them. WoW!! I gots to gets me one of them. Theys hot! :madsmile: :row__642:

On the other hand, we could help you build a killer rig for that price that would probably out run the AW, and without all the extra junk.
    By the way, you do know the Dell support is horrible right? They are constantly ranked one of the lowest around.

In other options, if you must go store bought, HP's service has gotten really good in the past couple years from reports on the subject, and they now own VooDoo, who makes gaming rigs at least as good if not better than AW.

Of course you will pay 2x as much as you would if you spent about an hour buying and building your own, but if you have the money to blow.........

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

AW sucks I know a few guys that bought gaming pcs about a year and a half ago and have already had them remanned a several times!!! Like Bamboo said get the guys around here to help you out and you can build a pc twice as good as the one you're thinking of buying.

I built one for around $1,500.00 when it would have cost me way over $2,000.00 to buy a prebuilt one.

Comment

Doesn't the dell xps line give you comparable parts for much less $$$? I mean if you must buy pre built.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Looked back at ncix and I had forgotten alienware was only cheaper cause of the free shipping deal right now (which will probably be gone by December) and have come to these specs.

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.p...fig&id=2816058

I'm wondering what soundcard I should get for use with a USB headset so I haven't put one in there. I'm looking for a price range of <$1500 if possible (for the entire system).

9800 is only in there for now and I'll probably swap it out for something else depending on price after everything else is done.
          Last edited by Pistolfied; 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM.

Comment

You don't need a sound card with a USB headset. Or at least you won't get any benefit. It won't use your sound card at all. USB headsets do sound through either hardware (for the nicer ones) or software (for lower end ones like my Logitech) and bypass the sound card all together.
            sigpic

Comment

Ok thanks.

Comment

I spent $2,300 on building my computer a few months ago. Prices have of course dropped since then and I bought one thing that I really didn't need but for the boss(my wife) to let me build the computer it was an item I had to get. The Logitech Z-5500 speakers which at the time set me back about $330 or somewhere around there.
                Minus the cost of the speakers I think what I built was a damn good gaming rig, I compared prices to similar rigs from other companies and most were outrageous in pricing. For basically the same set up as what I have I would have been paying close to $4,000 or more. I am so glad I did some research and getting advice from people in order to build my own.
                The only benefit from buying a pre made computer may be the warranty, the warranty that comes with pre made computers are usually better than the individual warranties you get from all the different components that go into a computer and it may last longer. BUT after you think about it most computer stores that you buy the components from offer a longer warranty if that is what you want. Still, paying all that extra money for a name brand computer and a warranty isn't justified. For the cost of a single computer from AW a person could build 2 good gaming rigs, screw the warranty and name.

Comment

Actually, if you pick the right parts, you could end up with LIFETIME warranties on your components!! Lets see dell or HP show up to the table with lifetime warranties.

And paying extra for tech support would only be worthwhile if it actually helped or was easy to use. Yet again, TG forums wins. I have personally sat on hold for over an hour with Gateway support for my 1st computer, and after the guy helped me for about 30 mins., he says "I'm sorry, but it is now after 1 a.m. and we are closing for the night. Your welcome to call back tomorrow for further assistance."
                  That was the night before I had a huge video project due, and I ended up going to the local computer repair store and paid $70 to have it fixed in about an hour. It was more because I paid extra to jump in line and get them working on my rig right away. He saved my ass though because he brought my XP back long enough for me to finish rendering the movie/video, and turn it in. I had to reinstall XP after that though.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Bamboo, my first computer was a Gateway as well. I didn't know squat about computers and believe it or not within 30 minutes of having them out of the box I messed it up somehow to where it would no boot into Windows. Anyway, I called gateway's tech Support and that is the best piece of advice I ever recieved. The guy told me to just install the restoration disc and follow all instructions. If it wasn't for him tellimg me how easy it was to restore my computer back to original factory settings I would have probably through my hands up in the air over computers. After that I started exploring a little bit more cause I knew I had the disc to restore it back to the factory settings, which then I just started using the Windows 98 disc that came with it, getting rid of all the crap that Gateway had preloaded on the computer. Second computer was a Emachine and it had XP, I had to download a copy of the XP Home Edition disc but I used my key and ended up getting rid of the crap from them. That computer is the one I started to tear into the case with, getting more RAM, second HDD, and a video card. Learnign the components inside at that time. I sold that computer right before building the one I am on now. It was a little over 5 years old and I still was able to sell it for $350. Not bad considering it only cost me $498 dollars new then the money spent on the RAM and video card. I was able to keep my HDD's.
                    I did forget that a lot of companies are offering lifetime warranties though. I think my warranty on my motherboard is for 3 years, not sure what Intel offers on the processor? But one of those 2 are the least amount of warranty time I have, most of my components are lifetime warranty.

Comment

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.p...latformid=1000
                      If you can't see that heres a pic of everything
                      Changed a lot of things from the previous.

And you guys can lay off the AW thing, I'm not going to be getting a computer from there anymore ;)

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
                        http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.p...latformid=1000

And you guys can lay off the AW thing, I'm not going to be getting a computer from there anymore ;)
                        Everyone jump around and do a little dance!! We saved another one!!!! :row__523:

Your choices are starting to look better man, but there is going to be so many things that will change between now and Dec. (when you said you plan to buy) you are going to have to probably completly redo your plans come x-mas time.

But just for the list you have above, it looks good but I would change your motherboard to an intel based board and the memory to something else. Not that highly rated of a RAM maker.

Who knows, the nelaham intel stuff my be out and so good you will decide to go for it instead. It looks like it is going to be very tempting from early reviews.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm looking to get an nvidia mobo because if I ever need to upgrade it will probably be easier to get something in SLI (even though the 2nd card is only half used in SLI). I am wondering if it's worth the risks of some problems people I've seen post about though (such as video corruption), hopefully that will be fixed by the time I am purchasing *crosses fingers*.

Yeah, i know tons of things will have changed by December but I find it easier to have things picked out now and see how much of an upgrade it will be to get newer things and if it will be worth it or not.

Comment

I think you need to read this that was just posted this morning

nForce 200 only X58 line-up ensures discounts

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Looks like I won't be choosing anything from the 200 series.

Also, swapped out the ram for these http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=CORSAIR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X