Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to buy to be able to use 2 laptops wirelessly in my house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to buy to be able to use 2 laptops wirelessly in my house?

We have a desktop with a DSL hook-up in our family room in the basement. My college student children want to be able to access the web on their laptops while in their rooms. What do I need to buy? Their laptops have wireless capabilites.

Re: What do I need to buy to be able to use 2 laptops wirelessly in my house?

You need to get a good router. Im guessign you live near a walmart or a best buy. So something under 100 bucks is very do able. What you will do is hook your DSL modem into your router, then turn your routers wireless on. They should just be able to turn the laptop wireless on and you are good.

There are more things to do to secure and make things run smooth but we can talk about that once you get things rolling.

And welcome to TG

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3910279

that is what i have and have never had an issue. easy to install and comes with great step by step instructions. And if you need more help just ask here.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

From your DSL modem, take the network cable (the end looks like a phone jack) and hook it into the WLAN jack on the router .Run a cable from your computer to 1 of the 4 LAN jacks, and your desktop should be good to go Finally...when shopping for your your router, I recommend that you INSIST on getting an 802.11B router simply because the transfer speed limit on your DSL modem is 10mbs TOPS!!! While the salesman will hit you with stuff about the 55mbs speed of the newer 802.11G units, the fastest your ever going to get from your DSL modem is 10mbs.... Since the B routers are falling out of popularity, you can usually get them for less than the current G routers if they have them in stock....

Comment

You will need to take into consideration what your house is made out of and how far away your kids are from the router in the basement. I say this because if you have really thick plaster or concrete walls, and your kids are completly on the other side of the house or on a 2nd story or something, a normal G wireless router might not have enough power to cover the whole house.

To solve this you could take into consideration buying an aftermarket antenna for a "G" router, or you might even just go with the newest wireless standard, which is "N".

Chances are your laptops are G, unless they are really new, and you made sure they had N when you bought them. Most still don't unless you buy a really good one, because N isn't completly official yet. But all N routers you will find still work fine, and they will be able to be updated when the final version of N wireless comes out just by updating their firmware (very easy to do). And the best part is, N is backwards compatible with G (and B if your laptops are really old, as B came before G even). So if you bought a N router, your kids G laptops will work fine.

The point about N is it is more powerful than G, so should go through walls and hopefully reach all the corners of your house. Remember also that things like cordless phones and microwaves run on the same frequency as most routers, so if you have bunch of phones or an old microwave, you will need to do more research on which one to get.

If you are sure range won't be a problem, then a good G router will be fine. But if you think it might be a problem or you just want to make sure and get something that is a bit more future proof, then go with N.

I would also order from newegg.com, as they usually offer better prices than even wal-mart. But even if you do go with walmart, what you need to do is go to the store and write down what model numbers you are considering buying. Then go home and research them on the internet. Wireless routers are very tricky things. They can be easy to deal with or they can be the biggest pain in the ass ever. And they have been known to die at any time for no reason. So a couple mins looking them up on the net to get a good one IS VERY VERY WORTH IT. You can even use newegg just to look at other buyers comments. It will help you get real person feedback on the router. And newegg is just as safe to buy from as walmart. All of us here order from newegg.

Expect to pay about $60-$80 for a good G router, and about $75-$100 or so for an N router.

Here are just some of the better N routers listed on newegg.com

D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.11n

LINKSYS WRT150N Draft 802.11n

D-Link DIR-625

NETGEAR WNR3500 IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft RangeMax Premium Wireless-N

LINKSYS WRT300N Draft 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b, 802.3, 802.3u Wireless-N Broadband Router

Personally, I would only buy routers made by Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, and maybe Buffalo, in that order probably.

Also, it takes about 10 extra mins to read through the section of the manual on how to turn on the wireless security. It will probably require you to come up with a long like 13 letter/number password that all the other computers will have to type in the first time they connect to the router. But if you don't turn it on, there are people that have no problem using your wireless to do what every they want. Like downloading nasty stuff that will get the cops knocking on your door or possibly even looking though all the files on your computer trying to find bank records and other personal stuff. Tell one of your kids that since you bought the router, they have to set it up and turn the security on.

It really is just a couple extra mins, and a lot of people never take the time.

Anyway, hope this helps. And welcome to the forum. :D
        If you have any questions about any of the routers, feel free to ask and we will try and look into them for you.

Edit: just saw what was posted while I was typing this out. While that is true about the speed of B and DSL, the point of going with a newer standard is not just about speed. It is also about the quality of the signal, and the power to push it though to reach the entire house, or maybe even the back yard so you can work on the laptop while setting on the deck maybe. Not to mention if you ever decide to upgrade from DSL to something faster a few years from now.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Emma Hadley? Leslie Roche? 1 post each? What the heck is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
            Emma Hadley? Leslie Roche? 1 post each? What the heck is going on?

I thought something was up when emma posted but i figured o well, TG helps people. Then leslie posted and it was like well thats just odd, what are the chances 2 girls one thread, something is up.......
            -Vulcan

Comment

make that three girls! rofl!!! lol but yes the N router is the way to go especially with ever changing techno.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                I thought something was up when emma posted but i figured o well, TG helps people. Then leslie posted and it was like well thats just odd, what are the chances 2 girls one thread, something is up.......
                I think it is the very unheard of 8th Sign of the Apocolypse!

2 Girls 1 TG Thread!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I wasn't really pointing out the gender of the forum names...

Comment

Sordavie was pointing out that to people that just signed up in the forum posted their first post in the same thread.
                    And they are both using formal names, like they used their actual name or something.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah, strange. Is this some new form of spam? A prank?

Comment

Probably. It's becoming more common nowadays.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hey if its informative spam then id say its okay, but then again its really not pluging anyone product so its really not gaining anything.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
                            2 Girls 1 TG Thread!
                            Better 1 thread than 1 cup.

/me slinks back into the sewer from which I came....
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Leslie Roche View Post
                              I recommend that you INSIST on getting an 802.11B router simply because the transfer speed limit on your DSL modem is 10mbs TOPS!!! While the salesman will hit you with stuff about the 55mbs speed of the newer 802.11G units, the fastest your ever going to get from your DSL modem is 10mbs.... Since the B routers are falling out of popularity, you can usually get them for less than the current G routers if they have them in stock....
                              I beg to differ. You'll likely want to use the resulting LAN to transfer files between machines, and for that you want the full speed that G or N will give you.

If you plan to game over this system, look for a router with gaming and VOIP features that gives priority to game and VOIP packets. That will keep "ordinary" traffic like email, web, and video from interrupting your game or phone calls.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X