Binary Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binary Code

I have decided to embark upon the incredible and painful journey to learn binary code. I googled "How to read binary code" and simply could not understand it. I was wondering if anybody here is an expert on that and maybe willing to help me? Remember I have the vocab. of a 13 year old (google). Anybody?

Re: Binary Code

Binary is rather useless on it's own. Instead of base 10, you work off base 2. So you count:

Base10: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
    Base 2: 0, 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, 1000.
    Base 3: 0, 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 20, 21, 22.

What exactly is your goal ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Try learning assembly language instead. :)

Comment

To be able to make nice little freeware like teamspeak and TSO and what not. Maybe eventually make someo money off of it. I'd also like to learn how to make maps for BF2 and what not. I can just picture it now: [R-DEV] Mr_Fighter_99 Teamkills TG-Irr Sonic. Muhaha!! Ok so maybe im a little out of it. Im dreaming time to sleep, so I can be refreshed to play PR tomorrow. If you have any helping tips, I'll be watching this thread all day tomorrow!

jeez how is a man supposed to sleep with all the ruckus a theme park next to the hotel generates. GO TO BED PLZ!
        Last edited by Fighter; 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM. Reason: have nothing better to do and i cant sleep

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
          Makes sense. Here's a good site.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

If you want to learn to write software, and your level of experience with coding is "it's made of binary, right?," you have a very long way to go. Very. As in, years if you want to do something significant.

Mapping for games is a wholy different exercise. You'll need to get the development kit (many game companies release them freely) to get started, after reading many tutorials on the subject.

Comment

The wiki article explains it quite well. If you need more help understanding it, you'll have to specify the parts you don't understand. Once you get the hang of base 2, you can easily convert numbers to other bases.

EDIT:

Oh, you wanted to learn how to program. Well, binary isn't necessarily a requirement for programming but I have taken courses that included number theory, combinatorics and numerical proofs. As part of software engineering, I've also taken project planning courses. Computer science students tend to take more math and algorithm courses but I wouldn't say it's necessary for somebody starting out with programming. It's good to know for certain applications but you should probably start out with basic programming principles like logic and data structures.

Mapping is an entirely different animal. It involves much more artistic talent than programming. In fact, you can create a map without any knowledge of scripting or programming. It's sculpting an environment so you'll have to understand the different techniques that mapping tools use such as carving. You might have to get into 3D modelling for objects you want to put in your map.

It's quite a bit to learn and practice each skill so I would recommend sticking to either programming or mapping.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Fighter, you sig is cool, but it is way too big. Please change it or shrink it down to fit forum rules. :D

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Can you expand a bit on why you want to learn binary specifically?
                  Retired 6th DB

Comment

Ok let's try this with examples. As someone already said, it is a base 2 system.

Each digit "1" in a binary number represents a power of two, and each "0" represents zero:

0001 is 2 to the zero power, or 1
                    0010 is 2 to the 1st power, or 2
                    0100 is 2 to the 2nd power, or 4
                    1000 is 2 to the 3rd power, or 8.

or

Decimal 1 is binary 0001
                    Decimal 3 is binary 0011
                    Decimal 6 is binary 0110
                    Decimal 9 is binary 1001

When you see a number like "0111" you can figure out what it means by adding the powers of 2:

0111= 2^0 + 2^1 + 2^2 + 0 = 1 + 2 + 4 = 7

1-15 in Binary

0000 = 0
                    0001 = 1
                    0010 = 2
                    0011 = 3
                    0100 = 4
                    0101 = 5
                    0110 = 6
                    0111 = 7
                    1000 = 8
                    1001 = 9
                    1010 = 10
                    1011 = 11
                    1100 = 12
                    1101 = 13
                    1110 = 14
                    1111 = 15

If that doesn't explain it, you are a lost cause :D. I was bored, hope that helps

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Thanks guys! Is there anyway I can like save this thread, so I can come to it later when I have a clear head? Thanks Bamboo for letting me know, I'll see what I can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                        ACK!!! LOL! I used to play with Assembly back in High School way so many years ago!!!!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Either copy and paste everything into your favorite document writing software or subscribe to the thread.

you can subscribe by selecting "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread and selecting "subscribe".
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Or you could just bookmark it?:madsmile:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I doubt TS was written purely in binary (aka computer language).

If you want to write programs, take a class on C++ or get one of the many self-help tutorial books on C++ coding.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X