Replacement Mice for my G7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Mice for my G7

Okay, I've been researching possible replacement mice for my G7 and so far have come up with a fairly short list of possibles.

I looked at all the various mice there, from optical to laser, from wired to wireless. Along the way I compromised between what I felt comfortable with on my G7 to what I was willing to forgo in a newer mouse.

Must-haves:
    • Tilt Scroll Wheel with Clicky Indentations
    • Programmable Buttons
    • Similar Ergonomics to a Logitech G7
    • DPI Sensitivity Adjustment (on-the-fly)
    • 1+ Side Buttons
    • Decent battery life (via AAs, built-in Li-Ions, etc.)
    • Black/Gray/Silver finish

1. Ideazon Reaper Edge (Product Link)

So far this is the first mouse and the single mouse on top of my list. It fulfills every part of my "must-haves" list. It's the most similar to my current G7 and as far as I could search online, it doesn't have the annoying "freeze-die-stumped-by-software" problem common to the G7 with Setpoint software on Vista.

It also has a nice black finish and has two side buttons rather than just one.

There are only downsides: the price and the tail. I'd be biting down on a $59 purchase on this mouse if I bought within the month. That's almost double what I paid for on my G7.

The tail is a compromise. I would like it to be tailless, but until such a version comes out, I'd have to go back with a tail.

2. Wolfking Trooper (Product Link)

This did not make it to the top of my list due to brand-name recognition and looks/finish.

Other than that, it seems to fulfill most of my requirements, but seems to lack the software-backed customization of the side buttons. This can be problematic in some games (like CS:S).

Price wise, it's affordable. I'd be dishing out around $32 rather than a hefty $59.

3. Logitech LX8 (Product Link)

This dropped two places due to a recent surge in the price of the mouse at BestBuy. It was recently marked at $29.99 at all the local BB stores near me, but after getting back from my vacation and checking online, it seems they have jacked the price up to $45.99.

This mouse is more of a price and feature compromise than anything. It has the tilt wheel (with clicky), two side buttons, and still has a nice feel where I can use it in conjunction with my gel wrist mouse pad.

Unfortunately, there is no DPI on-the-fly adjustment. The placement of the side buttons and the curvature of the thumb area is questionable. In use I could accidentally tap either button without meaning to, so I'd have to readjust and try not to hit any buttons by accident.

4. Logitech G5 (Product Link)

This is basically the wired cousin of my G7. It fulfills all of my requirements, but I worry about having the same problem on the G5 with the Setpoint software.

I like the inclusion of a second button on the side and the adjustable weights are a nice touch. It doesn't require any interchangeable batteries, so no more battery swapping every few hours of continuous gaming.

The price I wish was lower, but it's still around $50 at both NewEgg and BB.

So far that's my list.

I left out the Razors because I didn't like the feel of the mouse. It felt like the early first and second-generation Logitech optical 3-button mice that I gamed with for a long time. The left and right mouse buttons didn't have a solid clicky feel. I could "palm" the mouse, but it lacked any real height (very flat feel). It would mean I would have a hard time using it with my gel wrist pad. The price tag is average. Also lacks any DPI adjustment (on the mouse), unless you fork over more cash for the higher-end models.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Replacement Mice for my G7

Did you look at the MX518?

Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical 1600 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse

I love my MX510 Blue, and this is like the newer upgraded gamer version.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

have you tried the G7 without the setpoint software YET? I had been thinking, while in game you said you liked using the mouse sensitivity buttons to talk while on TS, if I remember correctly. Do you have the "Back" button set to do anything while in game? If not then set it for the "Talk" button while in TS and get rid of the setpoint software. I would at least try that before giving up on the G7. As I said in the post you had about the issues you were having I had them as well till I uninstalled the setpoint software.

Anyway, have you also looked at the G9 mouse from Logitech? I have not compared it to the G7 but I heard from a few friends they love it, one even had a G7 and said it is a lot better then the G7 for gaming and he also liked it better then the G5. Only thing most said were they think it is a very ugly mouse, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
        have you tried the G7 without the setpoint software YET?
        Read the last few replies in my last thread about my G7.

I've been using it without software for the past month or so. It still freezes every so often and requires me to unplug and replug the USB dongle to get it working again.

As for the MX518, I have looked at it, but the exclusion of the DPI adjustment is something I didn't like. The G5 is similar and thus I gave up looking at the 518.

I didn't like the G9. It was hefty like my G7, but the "textured" grip felt more like sandpaper than rubber. The wheel button is still a hard press and the mouse looks more like a tank than the usual Logitech mice. It's also much more than I would like to pay.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What problems have you been having with setpoint? I have the mx518 and have had nearly no issues with it, though I only used it to reprogram one button.

And the mx518 does have adjustable DPI, can go from 400-1600 I believe, and can set up to 5 settings total if you want to.

Comment

According to the Logitech website (and I think I remember looking at the box in store), it does have on the fly adjustable sensitivity

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/187&cl=us,en

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have an mx518 and it does have on the fly adjustment. It is in a pretty crap place (above and below the mouse wheel) and I never use it, but it's there.

Other than that I love the mouse to no end.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Read the last few replies in my last thread about my G7.

I've been using it without software for the past month or so. It still freezes every so often and requires me to unplug and replug the USB dongle to get it working again.
                No I didn't read the last replies, sorry. Anyway, is the mouse still under the 3 year warranty? If so go back with Logitech. Call them up and complain about the mouse having the problems. They will do probably 2 things. First they will hook you up to their tech support on the phone and they will try to help you out to figure out the problem(s). May be a software conflict they know about that is causing the problems? The second is they will replace the mouse....FREE of charge.

My one buddy had issues with his G7 and he called Logitech up and they tried the tech support first with him and that didn't help him. They then said they would replace it since it was under the warranty still and asked WHAT mouse he wanted, he chose the G9. He is one that said he absolutely loves it and glad he got it.

So, I would consider doing that first before spending any money. Get the G9 and try it, unless you already have tried it for gaming.

Comment

B&H has a 15 dollar rebate bringing the price down to 25 bucks +shipping. Cheapest shipping option is about 6 bucks. Final cost 31.
                  MX518
                  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...cal_Mouse.html
                  |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                  That noob who crashed the chopper.
                  That noob who ran over the mine.
                  That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                  That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                    What problems have you been having with setpoint? I have the mx518 and have had nearly no issues with it, though I only used it to reprogram one button.

And the mx518 does have adjustable DPI, can go from 400-1600 I believe, and can set up to 5 settings total if you want to.
                    Hmm, then it must have been something else...oh...I remember now. I didn't like how it didn't have a tilt wheel. :row__577:

If you check the official Logitech forums, there are several long threads that detail my problem with my G7 and the Setpoint software. Namely, the mouse would freeze and refuse to work at random intervals (or skip around on the screen). I would need to replug the USB dongle to get the mouse to function again.

Also the problem happens with the MX Rev and the VX Rev mice as well.

Originally posted by msdz
                    No I didn't read the last replies, sorry. Anyway, is the mouse still under the 3 year warranty? If so go back with Logitech. Call them up and complain about the mouse having the problems. They will do probably 2 things. First they will hook you up to their tech support on the phone and they will try to help you out to figure out the problem(s). May be a software conflict they know about that is causing the problems? The second is they will replace the mouse....FREE of charge.
                    Again, look at the official Logitech forum threads on the G7 freezing problem. People have had their G7s replaced (some several times over) and the problem persists. So it comes down to a driver/software issue and has nothing to do with the hardware.

I was lucky having this happen some 2 years into use rather than 2 months into use. Turn-around time is about 3 weeks looking at some of the postings on Logi's forums. On top of that, I still wish the G7 had a extra side button and a less-stiff middle wheel button.

I'm not sure when I'll make up my mind and purchase. I'm sort of hoping Logitech addresses this problem with a future Setpoint release / driver fix. Otherwise, I won't go back to Logitech for my gaming mice.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I love my MX Revolution. Normally $100, I got it on sale at Staples for about $70. They have a recurring sale like that so just keep watching for it.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Knock on wood, so far my G7 has been working flawlessly since i got rid of the setpoint software. Since you made mention about it though, the only problem with not having the setpoint software is when viewing web pages i can't use my left-right tilt on the mouse wheel. In games I can though, one game I tried anyway. I have not used it for many games so have no idea. I will try setting it up with ArmA to see if it will allow me to lean left or right tonight. I do think Logitech needs to come out with a better setpoint software. I really have not tried the setpoint software on my new computer but I do know on my old computer it did cause my mouse to jerk around a lot. I figured the setpoint software was just to demanding on my old computer. I have been to afraid to try it on my new computer, afraid of the same results plus I have got use to using it the way that it is.
                        I also know there are a lot of problems and complaints about the setpoint software on Logitech's forums and the G7. My buddy had his G7 completely replaced with the G9, they gave him that option instead of just sending him a new G7. He also got his in 3 days, not 3 weeks. not unless he was just one of the lucky few to have this option and speedy results. They also sent him the G9 without him returning the G7 until he got the G9. He used the same packaging to send back the G7.

Comment

They're phasing out the G7s. Ironically the G5's were more popular. They're also replacing all G7 replacements with G9s now.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It is still an option instead of buying another mouse. At least try to get your moneys worth from them first, lol.

Comment

Since I'm going to get mouse freezes randomly, I decided on just taking my chances with the Setpoint software (and have reinstalled it).

If it locks up, then one of these days I'm gonna throw it so hard against the wall, it's gonna break into a thousand little pieces. Then I'm gonna stomp all over it to make sure it's dead.

1.5+ years should be enough for nVidia and Logitech to get their drivers in order. Apparently I was mistaken. (mad emoticon)
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X