Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSOD when attempting to shut down (recently attacked by a Trojan)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD when attempting to shut down (recently attacked by a Trojan)

I was recently attacked by a trojan last night.

After disabling system restore and running the computer in Safe Mode, I ran Norton's Trojan fix to remove the trojan and its remnants.

When I try to Shut down my computer, I get a BSOD with the following message

Fatal System Error,c000021a, The windows logon process System process terminated
    0x00000000 (0x0000000 0x00000000)

Also I recently Installed XP Service Pack 3 about 4 days ago and I hadn't had a problem with it.

Currently, I am frequently attacked by the Trojan Vundo and my Antivirus program is blocking it

Computer Junky Help would greatly be appreciated

Re: BSOD when attempting to shut down (recently attacked by a Trojan)

So you're still under attack by trojans?

Have you tried a different anit-virus software (like AVAST's free one)?

Perhaps the BSOD was related to the ineffective removal of the previous trojan virus.

Have you had any other BSODs when shutting down since?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would recommend that you disable restore and restart in safe mode with networking then go to bitdefender.com and eset.com. Then do an online scan with both. The only setting that you need to change is on bitdefender you need to tell it to scan all files, not just programs. I recommend using Internet Explorer when doing the scan. Together they have been able to remove anything that I have seen so far.\

I would also recommend a clean install with SP3 slipstreamed. Some people I know have had issues when they simply install SP3 without a clean install.

Finally, just a remind to everyone out there. You cannot slipstream XP if the copy you are using does not have a service pack included already.

Comment

Originally posted by FloodKotton View Post

Currently, I am frequently attacked by the Trojan Vundo
        Vundo ?

Either seek help in specialized forums such as this one, or consider a re-install. Vundo is not easy to get rid of even with the available removal tools.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

You can try Malwarebytes. It cleans Vundo. We've had good success with that free product on other malware problems.
          sigpic

Comment

Currently my computer shows no signs of a trojan or virus but I still get the bsod error at shut down

Comment

Backup your files and do a reformat and reinstall.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

^^ What he said.
                sigpic

Comment

I did just that :-/

Comment

You backed them up, reformated, and did a clean install but still have a trojan there?

Comment

I reformatted and havent had any problems and installed norton 360

Comment

Great to hear. If you still had the Vundo, then I'd be scared. Because that would mean the virus is a rootkit, not the run-of-the-mill types. :)
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X