Your thoughts on new AMD Nvidia chipsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on new AMD Nvidia chipsets

I am looking into getting a new motherboard and I am looking into the new Nvidia 720a, 730a, 750a, and 780a chipsets. Right now, I can only find a Biostar board that is 720a. There is an Asus 750a that is $140, but it is SLI and I really do not need SLI. Can someone tell me if these chipsets are good or does the a in the name actually stand for the three lettered word for derrier?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Your thoughts on new AMD Nvidia chipsets

It doesn't have anything to do with derriers (unless it does and it's a cruel joke by nVidia).

If you do a little keyword searching in Google, you'll find lots of postings about nForce chipset problems. Mainly they have had been problems with the onboard audio not functioning correctly or unstable drivers.

Other than that, if you really want/need SLI, then nForce boards are probably the best way to go.

If not, look for something else, like a P45 Intel chipset-based board.

720 and the 730s are still a bit new and they are basically stripped down versions of the 780 chipsets (not sure why you added a "a" instead of a "i"). The lower end 7xx's usually won't support SLI (and thus won't have a extra PCI-E slot).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

AMD's new chipsets are great. I don't know why anyone would consider an Nvidia chipset right now unles SLI was REALLY important to them. Their chipsets just don't stack up very well to what Intel and AMD have on the market.
      sigpic

Comment

FYI. MAKE SURE YOU REALLY DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE BUYING

The lead coder on my mod team and I were talking the other night, and he was not happy after buying an AM2 motherboard last year with a mid range CPU, but with the plan to buy a better chip when he needed it. So we bought a new CPU a couple weeks ago to upgrade, and even though it was AM2, it wasn't' compatible.

I got tired of trying to keep up with all the compatibility stuff going on with AMD so I just gave up. All I can say is read everything you can and find someone with a good running rig and buy exactly what they have.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah the phenom processors have been giving a lot of AM2 boards issues, but I'll still liking some of the benchmarks I've seen.

To the OP: I've had good luck with Asus myself, their tech support is lacking, but their products seem to be solid. Two plus years now without any issues in stability despite all the stuff I run on it, including rendering for a week straight at 100% CPU load.

Asus A8R32-MVP
          Corsair 2gb Ram
          AMD 4800x2
          XP sp2

~ Draken

PS: I'll just say it now and get it over with; YES I'm a little bit of an AMD fan boy...

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            (not sure why you added a "a" instead of a "i"). The lower end 7xx's usually won't support SLI (and thus won't have a extra PCI-E slot).
            I added an a because...that is what Nvidia calls their new chipset for AM2+. I have a Phenom 9600 and have had great luck with Nvidia in the past though it does seem AMD has their act together in this case.

Bamboo, I was under the understanding that all AM2+ boards are compatible with AM2 chips, but not all AM2 boards will accept AM2+ chipsets.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X